Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Vintage look-a-like kitchen towels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Vintage look-a-like kitchen towels Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if there are low-cost versions of vintage patterned kitchen towels? I love the antique ones but cannot afford $30.00 a piece. Any ideas?

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind."
Author Unknown

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:03:44 AM  Show Profile
I always get mine at the thrift, or large antique shows where they go for $3.00 or sometimes less. Anthropolgie carries them, but they're $18.00 and I won't pay that for a kitchen towel when I can get the real thing for cheap :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:05:57 AM  Show Profile
where would I find those types of shows this summer (thrift or antique shows)?

Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:09:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure where Wayne, is, Kristina, but near Cincinnati, there is the Burlington, KY antique show which is a monthly event, and one vendor, in particular, has vintage kitchen towels (and all the other linens you can think of) just piled on tables for your perusal. I'm sure there are places near other larger city centers, like Columbus, too.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you!

Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  10:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristina -

Give this website a try - looks like they are only $5-6 each there and cute!

vintage-towels.com

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  12:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
Also, not for nothing, but there is a company that still makes vintage-style towels for stitchers who want to embroider towels like mama/grandma/great-aunt-Mabel/whoever had in her kitchen 70 years ago, and a company that publishes all sorts of wonderful iron-on patterns for doing just that. I got a copy of a wonderful book about vintage kitchen linens (I'll have to dig it up and post the title and author - I don't remember it off the top of my head, and it's buried in a pile at the end of the bed which my husband is currently asleep in), and got so inspired by all the cute, kitschy stuff women used to make for their kitchens that I decided I needed to make some for myself.* Of course, now I can't find my iron, so I'm kind of at a standstill until I do, or until I give up and go borrow one from my mother-in-law, but there you go. The point is, if you're even a little bit handy with an embroidery needle, you can make your own adorable vintage-style towels. A lot of the patterns are line drawings, so if you can do outline stitch, you're good to go. Pick a colour and outline away! I found both towels and a wealth of iron-on transfer patterns at Jo-Ann's Fabric, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

*In all fairness, the adorable vintage "Bee" towels in the Simply Bee issue of MJF, along with many years of reading "Piecework", was what got me interested in vintage kitchen linens and kitschy embroidered towels to begin with - without MJF and Piecework, I probably never would have bought the book.

Good luck!

Lis
*the Sourceress*
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:42:11 AM  Show Profile
they sell flour sack towels at the dollar tree http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=flour+sack

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  8:54:45 PM  Show Profile
I go to our local Rural King store and buy white dish towels and then make them look old with vintage embroidery patterns. I just finished a set of "days of the week" towels using Mary Jane's patterns in the Stitching Room book. They are embroidered and appliqued. They are a wedding gift along with crochet dish rags for my great niece who is getting married in October.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  02:00:30 AM  Show Profile
You can make them look even older by soaking them in Tea. Gives that real Vintage Charm & appearance to them.
Then embroider them or appliqué them.
blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  04:34:48 AM  Show Profile
You all gave me loads of ideas. Thanks a bunch!

Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9396 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9396 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  08:19:44 AM  Show Profile
There is a place in Springfield. Actually it is the the U.S.'s biggest antique place. It is off exit 62 at the intersection of I-70 and US-40. They have loads of that sort of thing and some of the little places are quite reasonable and lots of them are in very good condition! I don't know if you are anywhere near there but just thought I'd let you know.

"All you need is faith, trust and......a liitle bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  06:27:58 AM  Show Profile
I am really excited I found a stack of day's of the week embroidered kitchen towels for $4.00. They are so cute they are missing Monday but, have a little dog on each one doing chores for that day. They are really cute.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hooplove/ has oodles of vintage flour sack towel designs that members have uploaded. Print the designs, tape the page to a window printed side out and trace the design on the reverse with an iron-on transfer pen or pencil. Iron the design onto your towel and stitch.
Linda

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Vintage look-a-like kitchen towels Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page