Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Ovarian Cysts - any experience with them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ovarian Cysts - any experience with them? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  6:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi there. I am wondering if any of you lovely farmgals have any natural suggestions about dealing with ovarian cysts. Long story short, due to hormonal imbalances in my body, I have been dealing with cysts since I went of birth control two Decembers ago. The doctors told me a really good way to not have to deal with cysts is to go BACK on birth control. I told them the reason I went off birth control is that I didn't like what it was doing to my body (weird stuff) and who needs all the chemicals, and hubby was having a vasectomy anyway. Anyhow, so I need a way to deal with these NATURALLY. Every other month on my left side, I have pain for about a week. I ALSO get a yeast infection every single time I am having pain associated with the cyst. (Again, because of ridiculous hormonal imbalances.) Anyone willing to guide me along or make some suggestions about what I can be doing? I've read online that switching to a vegetarian diet, avoiding carbs, etc will help a lot, as will a few different herbs. What are your thoughts? Anyone have experience with this?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Do you have polycistic ovary syndrome? I do and I have been taking Metformin for about 6 months and it has done wonders! I quit taking birthcontril about 2 years ago because I didn't like what it was doing to my body eaither. I never felt well. When I went. Off my periods got reply irregular and I started having alot of pain in the area of my ovaries. In addition to metformin I try to excercise regularly (gym 3 times a week) and watch my sugar and caffine intake. Overall my health is improved I have regular periods and minimal pain.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:26:10 PM  Show Profile
No I don't I don't have polycystic ovary syndrome - my periods are completely regular and totally predictable.

Would you say that your ovarian pain has gotten better only because of the meds or because of diet changes and exercise as well?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I have PCOS also. I had very irregular periods and extremly painfull cysts. Now I know that this sounds crazy, but I went on the raw food diet for about 5 months very strict. Vegan, raw only. Well my very, very, irregular periods (I went 8 months without one one time)regulated and my hormones became very regular. I dont know why it worked but many advocates of raw food say it does regulate the hormones. I could list the reasons but it would be a very long post. My doctor also said that I would have to be on the pill for ever and I was already on it for 20 years and I do not think it is good for you plus it kills your sex drive. I didn't want to be on it anymore. My doctor said I would end up with cancer if I wasnt on the pill(think she gets kickbacks from the drug companies?). Needless to say I got a new doctor and she said everything looks great. I do not follow a strict raw food diet now but I am still regular with no painful cysts. I am not a person who belives crazy things, but I can tell you that in this case, food healed me.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  07:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know much about this kind of thing yet, but I do know you should avoid soy pruducts like the plague! Soy messes with hormones and such... I'm reading "The Whole Soy Story" by Dr. Kaayla Daniel right now, and it's very informative!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Ovarian cysts are the pits. I had them all the time before I started having my babies. Sometimes, they would hurt so bad, it would take me to my knees. I had endometriosis. I found that it helped to cut out the serious sugars, like the fake stuff and no caffeine. It didn't get rid of them completely, but the month that I had them, it would ease the pain to bearable. Sorry I'm not much more help, but I know doing those two things helped me tremendously. :D
hugs
Jessie

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Amy
I have had these as well, & 5 yrs ago had surgery, which was very scary as my doc was not sure if they were cancerous. I am much older than you (just turned 50), but still get twinges & it always scares me. I found this site, & it has some god ideas. I also swig Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar & I swear it helps. & Kayla is right.(that girl is SO smart for a young un!) Avoid soy. It is a real troublemaker for our hormones.
Here is link
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/ovarian_cysts.html
I have also tred the citric acid with baking soda combo, but the ACV really works best I think.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  3:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Stay away from caffiene.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you very much for all your suggestions, gals. I really appreciate them and I will get to work on changing what needs to be changed and hopefully that will alleviate the discomfort I am dealing with. Thanks!! (Feel free to post more suggestions if you have them!!)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  10:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Amy, do a little online research on the subject Estrogen Dominance. I think you will find some answers using that to search. Dr Christiane Northrup has a great book-Womens bodies, Womens Wisdom. I sell herbs but this problem is a little tricky because you have to find which one of the formulas is right for you. I do have a really greathealth assessment I can send out. At my office I charge $25 for this but I offer it to farmgirls for free. If you are interested.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile
i had cysts when we lived in santa barbara ca. they had gotten so bad in my breasts that i had to go in and have a needle pull the fluid out. they screened me every 6 months for tumors. they were on my ovaries also. very painful. we found out there are chemicals in the environment that mimic estrogen. they mess with hormone receptor cites. the body does not get what it needs female wise.this can cause problems with mood and energy too. fragrances are filled with hormone mimicking chemicals. most womans products are a toxic soup of hormone disrupters.as is personal care items. there are NO laws to protect us from these chemicals. worse than food inc. the research scares me. i study microbiology and chemicals (human effect).our endocrine system is very sensitive to what is put on the skin hair teeth body.i would add that manufactured homes trailers new construction new carpet flooring etc are filled with hormone type chemicals. carpet is sprayed with pesticides and herbicides to keep it pure in shipping. fabric softeners have the same pesticide chemical in it to spread the softener onto your fabric. its the little things we do each day that have a big effect later. when i cleaned up my home my cysts went away. we then lived in travel trailers one year waiting for escrow to close my cysts came back. when we moved into the nontoxic home we put together they went away. did you know that within 10 seconds what is in your environment is in you through your eyeball.little things matter. all the above posts are true too. but when hot flashes mood swings and cysts can be helped by natural lifestyle its for me. just a thought or two.sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile
i want to add that for me i chose to try to find the cause and fix it. rather than take a pill. we have enough hormone issues as it is as we get older. i tried to fix what was broke to lighten menopause symptoms and cysts. it worked for me. that is not the answer for everyone. we are all different. so not preaching, just sharing what my exp. has been sincerely sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  11:06:25 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate what you have to say and think you're definitely on to something! Thanks for all the advice. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
I'm short on time, though I wanted to write back. There is a book called " From Hormone Hell to Hormone Well" by Dr. Randolf. It goes over estorgen dominnce and has information on cysts. Bio identical progesterone cream from HM Enterprises, sold as " Happy PMS " cream, can help get the high estrogen down to a managable, normal level. For fibrocystic breasts and ovarian cysts, you use the progesteone cream starting on day 10 - 12 of a 28 day cycle. The book has a diagram that shows the best areas to apply the cream for maximal absorbtion. I have the book around here somewhere, but we moved not long ago, and I would have to look for it. I could copy the diagram for anyone who is interested, once I find the book. I am a midwife and my clients have long used this method to help balance estrogen.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  05:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately I had the painful ovaries and abdominal pain for over 15 years. I wonder how much of it was estrogen dominance. Hindsight tells me I had all the symptoms. I got really sick 15 months ago and went to over 30 doctors, mainstream and alternative. I ended up the in the ER multiple times. The last time the surgeon I was referred to said I needed a hysterectomy. I am so glad I had one. Both ovaries (full of infection) and uterus was precancerous. The pain and weird things that I had lived with the last 15 months were pure hell. I would encourage you to try balancing hormones, but if it does not work please consider making sure nothing else is going on with your female organs. I am six weeks out today from the hysterectomy and feel like I have been a new lease on life. I lost almost a year and a half of my life. I am ready to participate in the fun things in life again. Good luck, hope you find an answer soon.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile
kem, that is so great that it was figured out. you are so right about new days and feeling better. happy days for you sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  8:34:32 PM  Show Profile
After wondering for 20 years why I have excess facial hair and can't lose weight, bariatric surgery, back and hip pain, and psychiatric treatments, etc. I finally stumbled on Dr. Lee's book "what your doctor may not tell you about premenopause - balance your life from 30 to 50". I am now over 50 but still pre-menopause. I just read the book concerning estrogen dominance and high levels of stress hormone cortisol (which an endrocrinologist confirmed 20 years ago) and of 120 typical symptoms, I have at least 50 of them! I cannot tell you how much validation I am feeling right now. Over the last 10 years I have sought treatment for most of the conditions listed with varying results. But now that I know I am only treating the symptoms, not the root cause, I have experienced such euphoria that maybe, just maybe, there is a single root cause for all these issues! With a simple treatment that is OTC!!! Unbelievable- why didn't any of the doctors I consulted over the years put this all together? I am totally enraged... but that's a symptom too.

You know, one of the things that makes me so angry is the emphasis in the literature about estrogen dominance about the need to seek out hormone-free dairy products and organically produced, pesticide-free crops-- Just the thing that Mary Jane and the Rodales are telling us about our factory food system and how unhealthy it is for us. Duh.. My husband and I eat out fairly often, and it is not often obvious on restaurant menus whether or not the food has been organically produced or not.. My guess is "not"...

I encourage you to do your own research on estrogen dominance - I started the recommended therapy 3 days ago but expect to see results, if any, in 2-3 months... After only 3 days I am already sleeping better. We'll see what happens after 3 months..

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jun 18 2010 8:47:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  08:05:28 AM  Show Profile
good morning, i have read the book also brenda. i learned sooo much from it. i think one reason the raw food diet works is because it is so clean. all products are tainted one way or another. it is so hard to stay clear of chemicals. the human carbon mass is made up now of genetically modified corn. pretty much all humans now have gmo in them. that alone is scary. hormones are so delicate and include the thyroid gland. hormones and chemicals of other natures truly can cause bad things. many times it is the combination of things rather than one. by using a clean diet and hormone cream and acv. and what ever works for us,like kombucha we can have a day with out sweating all day. I HATE HOT FLASHES thats my plight. if i go to a box store i always have hot flashes for a time after. i also get cranky and tired from all the goopy chemicals in the box store. ( perfume formaldehyde etc. )i also try to keep my home pure. i filter all that comes in here through a catch room first.
Estrogen dominance can come from a chemical or chemicals a person is sensitive to. i suggest to those i help to ask how you feel before your shower and make up time and how you feel right after and an hour later. it could be as simple as a cologne, deodorant or hair product causing the dominance. they are all filled with hormone disrupters. as alee has stated before...there are no regulations in the make up industry to stop the use of car paint color to color your make up and so on. pigments etc. are hormone disruptor molecules. even very small molecules have an effect.there are no rules in the industry just greed again.
The companies have all ran on the premise that a little will not hurt. well when everything has a little it adds up to a lot. never in mans history has there been a time like this. the ocean is dying because of our waste. the earth is sick from man. well if that is so would not man who uses the stuff first be sick also. our grandparents had infections to fight. they could win. we are fighting a bigger battle. the chemicals being dumped in our environment man made are killing man.my belief is that our home needs to be a haven. i spent many years helping dr.s help folks clean up their homes. if we have a safe haven and pick wisely the load is less, hence less hot flashes less estrogen dominance. even the shampoo in health food stores can be a problem. body products especially run all over your skin and into you. little counts so very much.
I shall stop ranting. i am so convinced diet and environment are key. hope i did not over stay my welcome on this post. hoping this may help a farm girl. happy days sherrye in a learn as i go life

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ovarian Cysts - any experience with them? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page