graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:39:53 AM  Show Profile
Grow your own!! And buy bulk food - the organic bulk oats at the organic store I work at are cheaper than the store brand packaged ones at the supermarket.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Susie-

If you have room at your house for a garden, that is a great way to get super fresh, organic foods. Another idea is to visit any local farmer's market or roadside fruit/veggie stands when in season. Those are often not too expensive. Another idea is to try to buy things like meat and eggs directly from the farmer and try to buy in bulk. If you can buy the raw product such as wheat berries and grind your own flour that can help too. A great place to buy organic flour is Bob's Red Mill and also MaryJane has and AMAZING flour that she sells!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:53:32 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee. Raise as much of your own food on your own land as possible. My mom just got me the coolest book ever called, The Backyard Homestead. It's all about how to raise everything you need all on as little as a quarter of an acre (including livestock and everything!). It also has plans for raising almost everything you need on less land than that. I've learned so much from it already. It really goes into detail about how to do everything too, like harvest your own seeds from your own garden to use for the next year and such. Awesome! You should check it out if you're interested in being more self sufficient and knowing where your food came from.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  08:12:09 AM  Show Profile
you could also look for a community garden if you have no space. you could offer to work for food on a farm. i have a friend who would love to have you work. you could volunteer to help at a booth at a farmers mkt. for food. i trade a lot of products i produce for other things i cannot produce. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  1:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan--can you post any more information on the book you just got, The Backyard Homestead?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan~ I really would love to get a look at that book!! Going on Amazon.com right now!! Then I will try Ebay! :)

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  2:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Got it!! :)

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  6:17:43 PM  Show Profile
I got the book too it looks very good
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Food co-ops often have large, less expensive bulk foods bins. You can order 25 lb bags of organic rice, beans, etc, at tthe food co-op, with 10% mark up over retail usually. You can also get case prices on some things. Some places have food buying clubs where you can buy in bulk or near wholesale. I was in one through Azure Standard but I was careful I only bought things that let me save money. They do not serve TX. ALso, if you live near a Grocery Outlet, they often have organics at unbelievable deals. They are not in TX either. I go to the food coop and the farmers mkt, and I grow a garden.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:39:27 AM  Show Profile
We buy organic, but have to be careful because of costs. We have a huge garden, visit our local Farmer's markets every Saturday, visit other local farms and order grains online. A rule of thumb...to keep costs down, go organic on foods that have soft flesh, where the skin is eaten. It's more important to eat an organic berry than an orange that gets peeled! And if you can only afford to do 1 thing...make it milk! We started small and gradually added things as finances allowed. Check to see if you have any CSA's in your area...for a small fee, you get weekly farm-grown food, some even have organic beef/chicken/lamb/pork. Good luck and be persistant! There are more organic deals out there as everyone seems to be getting on the bandwagon!

Also, don't rule out "beyond organic"...this is food that doesn't have the organic label, but still is grown without pesticides and such. Usually, it will be the local, small farms that just can't afford or choose not to have the special certification!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ellie966
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Ellen
Taylorsville utah
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  10:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank all of you for the suggestions. I would love to go organic, but we live in a suburban area so no chickens or livestock. When I checked at our local grocery store an organic chicken was priced at almost $16.00 and eggs $3.00 per dozen. Since we are on a fixed income that just isn't in the budget. We have planted a vegie garden and I will be thankful when we can eat those things. The meat is just out of our reach. Since my husband was raised a farm boy his favorite meal is meat & potatoes!! I don't think I can ever get him to give that up. I am going to see if I can find local eggs and milk that may be better than what we can get in the store. I do a lot of baking and make most of our bread and all of our cookies and cakes so I go through a lot of eggs.

Please keep the ideas coming! I need help :).

Ellen

Edited by - ellie966 on Apr 23 2010 11:00:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  11:52:09 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan (and others) - check www.half.com for books. I get mine there whenever I can. I have Backyard Homestead, too. It's a great book. Buying organic can be pricey. Some areas are more remote and I realize you have to factor in driving costs, too. Google "local harvest" with your zip code - you might find farmers selling from their farms. I found several in our area that way.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  1:01:00 PM  Show Profile
I just found the book, Backyard Homestead on Amazon.com, good price! Can't wait to start reading it. This year is my first vegetable and herb organic garden. Can't wait to start planting everything, this is going to be fun:)
Smiles,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Sprout organic seeds. It is relatively inexpensive and they add crunch and vitamins to salads and sandwiches. Make your own cultured milk products like yogurt, kefir, sour cream, cheese. Don't buy processed organic foods. Buy basic organic ingredients and make your meals from scratch. Eat organic oatmeal and eggs for breakfast not boxed cereals. Grow your own and learn how to can. freezing your own veggies can be cheaper that canning in the beginning. Make your own bread. Make changes slowly. I've been incorporating more and more organics over the last few years as I figure out what works for my family.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  04:45:37 AM  Show Profile
If you don't have an affordable grocery definitely look into a CSA. Some seem expensive on the front end, since you often pay up front for the season, but it pays off in farm fresh produce and many have eggs. Here in WI you can't sell or buy raw milk, but I believe some CSA's elsewhere may also include milk. Some also let you buy shares with labor if you are able. How wonderful is that?

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

bvfarm
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Santa Fe texas
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  7:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Send bvfarm a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by clothedinscarlet

I agree with Alee. Raise as much of your own food on your own land as possible. My mom just got me the coolest book ever called, The Backyard Homestead. It's all about how to raise everything you need all on as little as a quarter of an acre (including livestock and everything!). It also has plans for raising almost everything you need on less land than that. I've learned so much from it already. It really goes into detail about how to do everything too, like harvest your own seeds from your own garden to use for the next year and such. Awesome! You should check it out if you're interested in being more self sufficient and knowing where your food came from.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

Liza,
My DH got that book at the HOme & Garden show this past year. I love how it shows just how much produce you can grow/harvest from a certain size of land/garden/animal coop etc. Its all about starting from beginning or wherever you are - takes the complications and intimidation out of things!! Until I saw that post here, I was wondering where to go for more info & you reminded me - better go track down his book. Think its next to the bed.
great!

BaileyVille Farm Farmgirl #3624
God is the only cure without sideeffects. Gratitude and Coincidence are His footprints. - CMV; I thank God for my handicaps for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.- HK
Go to Top of Page

bvfarm
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Santa Fe texas
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  8:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Send bvfarm a Yahoo! Message
Is anyone still posting on the organic topic?? Organic seed suppliers, and organic meat or free range chix ideas - we're not doing chickens yet, but have a spot for a coop one day. Organic non=hormonal meat would be nice!! I'm even open to mail order - prices at Krogers/HEB are outrageous, even Whole Foods - WHEWeee $$$$! But since my health issues...I pay it anyway and just go w/o updating my wardrobe!

BaileyVille Farm Farmgirl #3624
God is the only cure without sideeffects. Gratitude and Coincidence are His footprints. - CMV; I thank God for my handicaps for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.- HK
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  07:26:26 AM  Show Profile
Barter!

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Organic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page