Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  9:29:28 PM  Show Profile
The livestock on my "farm" are about 28" long and about 8" across with no teeth and beautiful coloring and love to be petted.
We have Koi. These are specially raised beautifully colored Japanese carp. Does anyone else have these big babes in their living room (or outside)? We have a 700 gal. tank in the floor next to the living room. They are inside in the winter and go outside in the summer.
I'd love to from koi lovers. Oh, by the way, we have 2 cats too and they never bother the fish. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl

Edited by - Bonnie Ellis on Apr 19 2010 9:35:53 PM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie, We have about 14 Koi outside in our natural pond. they are huge like yours. Occasionally an Eagle or Raccoon will get on but they are wily buggers. They stay out all year around and I seldom to never feed them. With a natural pond and we keep it a bit overgrown they eat enough to get so big. They come to see me when I whistle. They like to sunbathe in the summer. They come right up half out of the water and just stay motionless for quite awhile. BTW we have almost no mosquitos. YAY!! Let me find my pictures and I will try to post one.
MB It's hard to get the right perspective on them but they are big. MB
Here are the pics I promised:

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Apr 19 2010 10:40:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile
I have Koi too. I received mine in exchange for caring for the pond they were in while the house was empty (I used to work for a property management/real estate office). The pond was too small for all the very large koi and goldfish in it. A previous renter added the goldfish and they were breeding like rabbits!
I have three koi that are about 16" long. We don't have a pond built yet, hopefully this summer (fingers crossed!), so they winter in the porch in a 50 gallon horse trough and in the summer move to a large trough outside. They've made it 2 years with this arrangement!

MB-your Koi are beautiful!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Alicia: What a deal. At least your climate will allow you to keep them without freezing. Stock tanks work great! Thanks for sharing.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  1:01:48 PM  Show Profile
MaryBeth: You bet racoons are wily critters. One was near our pond and my husband got his laser light and shined it in the racoons eyes for about 20 minutes and we haven't seen a racoon since. Thanks for sharing

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone Raise KOI? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page