sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile
kris glad your getting a pig. i love our pork. especially when we are in milk. they are the easiest on our place to care for. fun on the farm for you. we have 3 ordered. not weaned yet. they are duroc hamp cross sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  12:11:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey there! SO funny to come across this--just finished reading Farm City by Novella Carpenter. A great read! She is a farmgirl in the middle of Oakland, CA who raises chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, bees, rabbits, AND pigs. The pig section is a hoot. Regarding feed, she and her boyfriend?husband? go around to the dumpsters behind restaurants, bakeries and greengrocers and haul away buckets of slop for the pigs. They didn't spend a cent on pig chow, just used what was "fresh" from that day and was going to be tossed anyway. And in Michael Perry's book Coop, he goes to a large bakery in the Eau Claire, WI area and gets an ENTIRE VAN stuffed full of throw-away bread products to feed his chickens and pigs. Around here, I know of people who go to the dairies and food processing plants (like OreIda, local meat lockers, grocery stores, commercial bakeries) and load up on the food that is going to be tossed or the food-industry byproducts that are going to be tossed but are good for animal feed. If you have some options around where you are, it might help save a little on feed costs. Myself, I supplement good commercial feed with "fridge leftovers" and weeding from the garden for my flock of poultry & rabbits. No pigs here, as my 3/4 acre farm just isn't big enough for one of those babies! Good luck--and I vote, get the piggy!

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  3:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cris. Welcome to the forum. I'll have to check out that book. It sounds good. Around here it is against the law for restaraunts to give people the left over food. They have to throw it away. If they get caught they could be closed down. But I did go to the Merrita bread place and got a few truckloads of day old bread. But I feel bad about doing that because I don't even eat that bread. So I will have to come up with some other places to get food. There are a few breweries in Chattanooga that give their used hops and barley to some pig farmers.

Oleta, I will definetley tell the truth. It is hard work. And sometimes downright scary too! I had visions of falling in the pig yard when I had the 4 huge pigs and them eating me! It could happen.

Sherrye, I would love to find some of the older breeds that could be raised better on pasture. Not all pigs are bred to do this. The older hardier breeds, like the red pigs, can survive on forage and nuts and not grains. So I may have to look on line for a heritage breeder. And they can be pretty pricey.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile
kris just wanted to say folks around here that feed the barley grain from the brewery swear it works great for pigs sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Kris:
I say: Get the pig, or get two pigs. LOL. Let us know what you name him or them.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  02:39:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris, GET THE PIG(S)!
I am going to try my best to get Hubby to agree, and get 2 pigs. The biggest problem is that the pigs ruined their fencing, and it will all have to be replaced. Hubby is working 12 hrs a day, and no time to do it. Fencing is sooo expensive too. I may have to find a local person that is raising pigs and try to buy from them at butchering time.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4211 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4211 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  05:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Years ago my dad used to put hog rings in their noses to keep them from rooting. They still rooted. I would never do it to them. It is the pigs nature to root. Having good fencing is the key. An electric wire is a must. And not hard to maintain.
Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  05:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I just remember all the huge holes they made and I still have big ones from the last 4. It was just a thought. I know that's what they are made to do. I am going next week to a farm in Tn. that raises pastured pigs. I am going to ask lots of questions. But that's what I did with mine was raise them on pasture. I might not have had the right kind of grasses though. Or the right kind of pigs either. They were the white pigs. One was a Hampshire? Red with the white middle. Anyway, I would like to find the old red heritage breed pigs that were made to live off the land.

Or do like Gena suggested and find someone who is raising them more naturally and just buy one from them. That's a good plan!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4211 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4211 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  04:22:31 AM  Show Profile
Ah they do make some nice holes, but they sure do enjoy them when it has rained! We were dry last summer, and I would hose the pigs down, and make a puddle for them. Lucky we had a water hydrant close to their pen. Always fun to talk to others, and find out how they manage their place.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Kris, when you go to that farm, ask them about the Black pigs. It is not just the color, it is a breed. I had read about them awhile back.
People were really talking in favor of that breed.
If you are like me though, I'll just take what I can find!
Where in TN is the farm? When are you going?

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  06:50:52 AM  Show Profile
i like duroc hamp crosses. they seem the easiest to raise. i found with the more older breeds they tend to root more. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  07:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Gena, it's Sequatchie Cove farm near Jasper Tn. off 24. They are having open house or farm May 1st. I love it there. It's beautiful. ANd they raise all their animals on pasture. But they are very expensive too. But well worth the cost to get good fresh pasture raised meat. I will ask about the heritage breeds.

Sherrye, I thought the one I had was red and white but he was black with a white band across his shoulders and front feet. I think that's what you have?

Michele, we have a low spot at the bottom of the pasture and when it rains it fills up. They would have a ball out there. But out back where I want to put one this time has a little stream that runs when we have rain. We used to have the washer line run out that way but it stayed too wet. For a pig that would be great but not for goaties.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile
the duroc crosses are red. i have a fondness for them. the hamp gives them a little length too i think. i am going to butcher small this year and do it myself.we use the tractor to get them in the air to skin etc. let us know when the day arrives. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Dog gone it! My hubby's 50th birthday is Thursday. I want to go camping this coming weekend, so no matter where that farm in TN is, I won't be able to go.
Good news is I GOING CAMPING!! Bad news, I can because mom is in a rehab place trying to get back on her feet after pneumonia.
I am taking advantage of the free time. She should be there 10 days.
I will still check out how far Jasper TN is from me!
Learn alot and keep us updated.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I would love to home butcher. I do know a guy who will do it. He was going to do the goats last year but I ended up selling them. I may end up doing a few of these bucks soon. But he could do a pig I'm sure. I think we could do it.

Gena, I am so sorry your mom is having problems now. But she'll be fine and you go and have fun with your hubby. You need a vacation. Where will ya'll be going? And tell him happy birthday. Have fun.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:33:26 PM  Show Profile
kris if you can do a chicken you can do a pig. if you can get it in the air its easy. size matters. i have done BIG pigs and smaller. i prefer smaller. we used to butcher all our own meats and cut it up in chops. i have 2 knives a hand meat saw. i followed the directions in storeys guide to pigs book. i do not always have the power to do big kills any more. my favorite knife for skinning is a small paring knife with a thin blade. i wear them out i do so many chickens and turkeys. i get them at goodwill. sharpen often and keep the grease off your knife.i know you could do it. it is 75.00 dollars here to have it killed and skinned. then 65 cents a pound cut and wrap. so we started doing more of the kills. we take it in to hang and get cut up these days. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:19:43 AM  Show Profile
I just cooked the last pork roast yesterday for dinner. Just down to some ribs and lots of sausage. A few hams. I had nothing cured so it's just like big ole pork chops. So it's about time to do something!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile
Ya gotta have at least 2! They compete for the food and grow better!Besides you can sell one to off set the cost of feed!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Someone Slap Me Quick... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page