Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Girls in their new home but I'm still shaking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Girls in their new home but I'm still shaking Next Topic
Page: of 2

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  04:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Marilyn on getting ready. Hope your queen was out Victoria. My girls are going through lots of sugar syrup yet. We are starting to get a few things blooming.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  03:45:36 AM  Show Profile
How many of you start with foundation and how many do foundationless frames? Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1502 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I have been wondering the same thing, Dianne.

My mentor started me out with wax coated plastic foundation. He says it is a better way to start out a new hive because it doesn't require so much energy on the bee's part to get their hive productive. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of having man made plastic products in contact with my bees or their pollen and honey. So, when I start a few more of my own hives next year I will probably go with 100% beeswax foundation even though it takes more work to secure this in the frames. I am hoping to be able to use the smaller size cell foundation for the brood boxes in my own hives to help discourage varroa mites. Some day when I have more experience with the bees and have a few hives going strong I would like to experiment with foundationless frames.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  04:27:10 AM  Show Profile
I started mine out totally foundationless. Med. hive boxes. I just could not believe how quickly the girls have filled the frames in. They have sugar syrup, and pollen patty too.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:33:52 AM  Show Profile
We have one box foundationless and two with wax/wood frame. It's a bit harder working around the foundationless, but fascinating to see just how fast they fill the frame

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: May 2nd ~ Interview with Eric Herm, author of "Son of A Farmer, Child of the Earth"!

Renegade Online beekeeping CLASS MAY 9th! http://therenegadefarmer.com/?p=939
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:56:40 PM  Show Profile
I went with was foundation. Only because everything I read said what Marilyn mentioned, it requires less work on the bees. I honestly don't know if it is any better.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Girls in their new home but I'm still shaking Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page