Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 And yet another cow question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic And yet another cow question Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  5:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Just now I went out and was petting my2 heifers. I noticed they were very warm and it looks like someone has sprayed a mist of water on their backs. Could they be sweating? Or have a fever? It's been very hot the past few days. They did not feel like this earlier today or yesterday.

I called a friend up the road that used to have a dairy and now has beef cattle and asked him. He said he has only seen something like that when a cow's in heat. But Mazie is not acting crazy like she does when she in in heat. And Roxie is not even 8 months old yet.

So has anyone ever seen this before. They are very warm and moist feeling. With a mist of water on their backs. They are eating and drinking water. I guess I could take their temps. But I am kind of afraid of Mazie knoking me down.

Oh, and my friend said he has a thermometer outside and it said over 100 today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  8:55:25 PM  Show Profile
wow kris, you have been a busy farmgirl. i do remember buttercup being hot and sweaty last year. 100 is hot. weather is so weird. lastnight we had a hail storm. i was afraid it dented my car. i swear we had huge bigger than fat peas of hail. inches and thunder and lighting. cold night 20s today almost 70. so maybe some one else has a thought. we have a dairy gal now. 12 at night to milk no way. hows the goat sadie that fell in the ditch? then hows the poor baby tonight?sounds like hes having a rough time of it. are your chickens staying in? happy days on the farm kris.lol hows your cheese tasting?i know my cows are fat and lazy in the sun. i always look at their eyes for brightness and for a wet dewy nose.i bet your girls are ok. you could post a question about your cows on kfc. they would know too. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  5:40:06 PM  Show Profile
If they are eating and drinking, I would think they are fine also. Do they have shade so they can get out of the sun? I have a fan, in the barn, with a mister that works great for cooling off animals. It is from the boys showing days. My cow loves to stand under that when it gets hot.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  5:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes, they have plenty of shade but have to walk across the pasture to get to the water. I asked on the family cow forum and someone there said they let the water run over so they have a wet place to get their feet wet in so they can cool down in. I need to do that for them. It was really hot today too. They seem fine.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic And yet another cow question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page