Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Could this be a chicken coop or tractor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Could this be a chicken coop or tractor? Next Topic  

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:20:00 PM  Show Profile

I need lots of feedback, pros & cons.
I know we'll have to secure the windows and wonder about doing that tastefully so it keeps it's cottage charm.
Can they peck holes in the plastic?

It's just a thought. It was free and is rarely used.
We'll have 4 hens.

Thanks!

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:59:38 PM  Show Profile
You would need to use hardware cloth,(not chicken wire either, it is too easy for a predator to get into) Plastic will not be predator proof. You may want to try to close off a window or 2 so the girls have a little privacy. They like that for their laying time. Also, bottom needs to be secured so that weasels cannot dig under. Otherwise, I think it is fine!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:08:16 PM  Show Profile
with a little work, I would think this is a great recycling idea!!!!! Cover the openings with chicken wire, and put it up on a base of some kind....a little work but cute! Let us know how you decide to use it.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Apr 12 2010 2:23:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I think it would work. When we were redoing our bathroom, I thought I am not throwing out this sink/cabinet. Hubbs laughed, but it now houses our new chicks as a chicken tractor. : )

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Great idea!! It is always so amazing to see what people come up with for coops. I've seen coops made out of the back of old vehicles that are no longer running. ;) I think your idea, with the above suggestions, would work out just fine!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  11:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Jeez Stephanie, with some hardware cloth over the windows to keep the chickens safe, that would be just THE cutest hen house!! :) Make sure you put in a nest box too. I have even heard of them being made out of those big squarish buckets turned on their side with straw in them.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile
That sounds promising. I wasn't sure about the plastic part. I don't know much about chickens.....thought they may peck through it. We are not positive we are going to do it but it sure sounds like it could work. I am going to go check out hardware cloth. I don't know what that is. I like the idea of using buckets for nesting boxes too. How about garden pots, like the kind you get plants in, the size above gallon? You could put a couple nails in to hold it to a piece of wood so it wouldn't move. My mind is a racing now!
I just ordered chicks. I am getting 2 Dominiques, 1 buff orpington and 1 black australop. I am getting them locally from a co-op. Not what I'd planned but I did ask if they would just seperate mine from the others and not feed them the medicated food/water. They said "sure". I bought the food today and will have the brooder all set up today and get the chicks tomorrow. 2 tomorrow and 2 on Wed. I feel like a new mom to be.
off topic...what do you put on the bottom of the chick brooder?

I am learning so much from the kindness and excitement you share!
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Could this be a chicken coop or tractor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page