Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 In the planning phase of a bakery/farm girl store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic In the planning phase of a bakery/farm girl store Next Topic  

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters! My friend is looking for a way to make some money by making homemade baked goods (cakes, pies, and confections), and has invited me along to sell my canned jellies and jams, veggies, and homemade sewing projects. We are in the state of Texas, where there is no 'Cottage Law', which means essentially that to legally sell baked goods you must be licensed and have an appropriate 'kitchen'. Anyway....

A funny thing is, is that her grandparents own this old (OLD!) storefront which they do not use at all, which contains a commercial kitchen,and it JUST AWESOME. I have secretly loved that place for years and I just found out it was her grandparents who own it! Lol. So, we are praying they will let us use the building.(!!!)

I am the office manager/accountant for my husband's business, so I completely understand the whole profit/loss thing (usually loss, hahaha), so we have that aspect covered.

Anyway, any words of wisdom/encouragement from my new sisters?

She needs to be able to make enough, and it isn't a lot, to pay some of her bills, and I would love to have some extra for my debt reduction plan. We aren't getting in this expecting to be millionaires or anything like that. More like an indoor farmer's market, if you will. :0)

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't have any tips for you, golly dang, girl....GOOD LUCK! If I didn't live on the opposite end of the country I'd come help you set everything up and shop there. sounds like a great idea and I hope you will keep us posted on how everything is going. :) WAHOO!! Good for you!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  5:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda.....I have this small building in my town where I live, and I opened it up doing just what you are talking about! It went over soooooo well.....that I was running a cafe before I knew what happened!! People would come in, smell the home cooking and the rest was history! I did keep it going for a year and then stopped, because it was too much for me. But I still have the building, and plan to re-open, doing what I wanted to in the begining...like you said...similar to an indoor farmer's market! Maybe have one large table, just for reserved lunches, like a birthday luncheon, etc..It is a lot of fun and I cannot wait to re-open. I am in Texas as well....it was easy for me to get the permit to do my canning and food service...we are in a small town and everyone knows everyone...word travels fast if you have good food and a friendly place! I had some music going all the time too...like nature sounds, rainfall, etc....was GREAT. Everyone loved that! Best wishes in your adventure!! Let us know how it all goes for you!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Amanda - that sounds soooo cool, I am jealous!! Keep us posted on your progress and post pictures too
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Good luck and please post pictures once the store is set up!

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  6:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, good luck!! My sister and I have always wanted to open a quilt shop,
tea shop but never had the guts to try, you go for it!!!!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  05:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for your encouragement! My friend talked to her grandparents. Using the building is not a problem EXCEPT there's no floor! Lol. The wooden floor apparently rotted through. Oh, and no working bathroom. I won't give up on the building totally though...just put it on a back burner. I sure do love the look of it. I'll try to snag you girls a pic of the outside so you can fall in love with it, too. ha! As my mom said, "Well, sounds perfect for a couple of farmgirls to fix up." I agree, but we both are not in the position to do it right now.

However, we are still going to go forward as far as we can. My DH (DDDDDDH) has always told me that he will build me a storefront (farmer's market-type) at our business. We already own the land and everything, and I'd personally just be happy with a canopy over my head! Even if just to sell fresh eggs and garden 'extras' and herbs. So, I am seeing this as a great opportunity to sit back, research, and focus on goals. We are doing 'market research' right now and fine tuning our approach.

Debbie, when you are re-opened, let us know! I'll have to make a Farm Girl road trip to come and visit!!!

:0D

P.s. I have been invited to a plant sale to sell and promote my fresh eggs and veggies. Just got the email last night. I am soooooo excited!

Adventures in Homesteading!

Edited by - msdoolittle on Apr 14 2010 05:43:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  05:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Sounds lovely, I hope it works out for you! I think some farm girl roadtrips are in my future as well.

When & where is the plant sale? I do love new plants ... and meeting a fellow farm girl would be fun, too!
Blessings,
Catherine :)

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, that sounds great! And to already have a store with the kitchen in awesome. I sure hope that she can use it and that you both do really well there. I am wishing you lots of good luck and great success. I am also trying to get a business started.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  08:57:22 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, what a wonderful opportunity. I think having a building is half of the battle and you and your friend sound like a great pair to make it happen. I am pulling for you please keep us posted.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

countrylovin91
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Debbie
Roseburg OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  10:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Your adventure sounds AWESOME!!!..I love country stores..Hope you can get that floor fixed soon..Take care and have a SUPER day...
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, everyone! We're still on the hunt for a suitable place. I am sure we will find something when it is meant for us to find it! :0)

Catherine, the sale is in Jacksonville at the Forestry Service building on April 24th. There are soooo many interesting Master Gardeners in our county with so many wonderful plants. Typically, there are many ornamentals, heirlooms, perennials and the like. It has always been really fun. This year, they are going for a more 'farmer's market' feel. I'm really excited about it :0) Shoot me an email if you think you may be able to come.

a

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  7:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Amanda! I will let you know when I get to re-open! Best wishes for your future adventure!! I know you will do well!!
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Where is the building at? That sounds like lots of fun!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic In the planning phase of a bakery/farm girl store Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page