kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:09:32 PM  Show Profile
I was just out back picking violets to make more jelly. Jimmy Buffet was out there. So we had a nice talk. Poor guy. Mr. Casanova has suddenly become the Big Roo of the farm. He is beating up Jimmy every time he sees him. I noticed a few days ago that Jimmy looked horrible. His head was bloody and he was all cowed down. Then I saw Mr. C and realized what was going on. He was pretty messy also so I know Jimmy gave him a hard time too.

Now Jimmy has been a perfect gentleman since he got after Kansas. Me and him get along great. He's never even attempted to hurt me. We talk all the time. He is a pretty good ole guy.

So I told my hubby when he got home he needed to get his gun ready and go get that roo. I can't catch him. And he roosts way up high in a cedar tree. So there's no way to catch him. And he was just standing in the perfect spot for hubby to get him. (Now please know this is a working farm. Not a petting zoo. I will only keep and feed animals that will give me something back. Like milk, meat, eggs whatever. So if anyone is offended by this please know I am not taking this lightly.) I told hubby to aim for his head and I'll just go ahead and butcher him. So I was going to get the goats to the barn and out of the way when I heard a shot. Then I heard a loud crow. I looked and Mr. C is running the other way. So hubby aims again and there he goes again. He said he only brought 2 bullets. Missed both times. He said the rooster jumped. He used to be a good aim. I don't know what happened to him.

Well, he is still out there. And Jimmy is out in the back yard biding his time. That's why we had our little talk. I told him my hubby missed and he's still here. But we'll get him. He ate while I picked. And a cat rolled around on the grass. And the birds sang. And the goats did goat things. And the cows mooed. And the rooster crowed. Bad rooster. Just rubbing it in.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Sorry you'll have to wait for your chicken soup. (I can't help but laugh when I picture that rooster running for his life with your hubby aiming at him). I'm glad you still have Jimmy Buffet.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  2:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I can sooo picture it. My Hubby kicked our roo so hard he is limping. Now, he can't chase me though. I guess I'll wait and see if he gets better. I think the batch of Buff's I incubated has about 3 roos!!! This can't be good!
Ahh, Life on the farm.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  2:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I couldn't look while he did it but I wish I had now. He said he didn't see any dust move. I wonder if the bullet even went out. It's loud, too.

Gena, no, that many roos is not a good thing. I always get at least 95% roos when I have any hatch here. That last time out of 8 eggs, 6 were roos. I just don't want to fool with them. I just want one. I love to hear them crow. A farm has to have at least one good roo.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Me and Jimmy Buffet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page