Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 what improvements..........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic what improvements.......... Next Topic  

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Since moving to your farm,weather it be your backyard farm or your acreage, whatever makes it a farm for you, what changes or improvements have you done?

We planted trees, trees and more trees! Put in fences!

Twinsmom

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:39:52 AM  Show Profile
I have planted a bunch of trees for my landlords and am about to get some dwarf apple trees too!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  09:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, well...

I planted a small orchard (plum, peach, pomegranate, apples and blueberries), fenced in our front yard, added beds along all sides plus 15 4'x8' beds, added a walkway in front (why do people not put a path to their front door??? lol), added a greenhouse, renovated the chicken coop and added a run, ripped out the old fencing dividers behind the barn (was used for emus) and made into a duck/goose pen, repaired and added new fencing, added an herb garden on either side of my back door path, made a 'dry creek' out of native stone, just recently added an aviary and a woodland plants bed in front of the barn, brushhogged our woods so we can see our pond....

Whew, my fingers are tired! We will be here 2 years in October.

:0)

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile
We've planted trees, made a bigger garden, built a couple greenhouses, fixed all the flowerbeds, made new flowerbeds, planted, planted, planted.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  09:47:38 AM  Show Profile
We have added 2 blueberry boxes, 2 strawberry boxes, and a 50'x100' garden. We are adding some rabbit hutches and a chicken coop and compost bins this month and next.

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile
You have all been busy, busy, busy! It does feel great to get in there and work with your hands.

Amanda, would you mind sharing how you made your walkway? Would love to see pictures of your farm.

Twinsmom

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
We have put in a small orchard that is ever expanding, raised beds, privacy fence, fenced in all 4 acres, build a rabbit barn, chicken pens, goat pens, always adding something being it animal or plants...lol we will be here 2 years in sept.(in this permanent house)

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  3:37:21 PM  Show Profile
We have fenced in the whole place now. Built a hen-goat barn. Planted 3 pear tress, 4 apple trees, blueberry bushes, strawberry beds, grape vines. Now am planting maple trees and azaleas and forsythia bushes up the driveway. Also totally remodeled the big house and are getting ready to remodel the little cabin. And the work never ends here!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  11:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Some may not see this as am improvement but I am loving it. I have always wanted to have a place to bath out of doors. This spring we put up an outside shower. Last night I used it for the first time.
It is LP fueled for hot water. I went through all my drawers to find stuff I will never use: an old lace tablecloth, colorful scarfs, old shawls, and an old lace nightie cover. Those items are hung up around the outside. So neighbors can't see, I used tarps for walls. The other stuff is hanging from the tarps. I am loving it and will only like it more as the weather heats up.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  3:08:15 PM  Show Profile
kris that is so awesome. yes thats a upgrade for sure. i will have one when we relocate sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Kris, that sounds so fun!

We're in the middle of replacing 40+ year old fence, put up some solar powered hot wire, so the horses won't lean on the fences (amazing stuff! Not strong like what most people think of with "electric fence", more of like a static shock, but I sure wouldn't want that touching MY nose!).
I grew up here, so it's all familiar to me, but in need of repair/replacing. We took down the "run" that went from the horse pasture to the old barn, tore down the old, barely standing lean-to that the run led to. Put up a new run in shed. We built the garden while still renting from my parents (gave us quite a bit of leeway as far as improvements went), expanded it and fenced it in. Put in an expansion on the deck, sod in front of it. Flower beds on one side of the house. Planted grass seed in the bottom part of the yard, put in some trees and shrubs. Replaced a few windows in the house, need to get the rest of em this year. Ripped out old carpet in one bedroom, painted and put in pergo hardwood stuff. Love it. We'd like to put in another well on the bottom lot to turn that into a pasture for the horses.

Whew, but I'm sure the list will continue to grow!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic what improvements.......... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page