Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Question About Marriages? Or Rather Husbands!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Question About Marriages? Or Rather Husbands! Next Topic  

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  8:20:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a pretty good marriage... now. It wasn't always that way. I have fought for nearly 13 years to get it that way. I litterally married my best friend. Then spent 12 years trying to find him agian. I finally have him back but I still feel as if he puts his mom before me. He even seems to be taking her side over mine sometimes, but always insists he didn't mean it that way when I point it out. Does anyone else go through this?

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Angela, it seems guys have a real hard time pulling back from their mama's. And I think alot of times they really don't mean to put you second. You've got to remember that when they have mama pulling on one end they don't seem to have the ability to weigh one against the other. And reason out what is actually right. Stick to your guns if it is something really important. If not it probably won't mean anything to you later.

Blessings, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  05:08:33 AM  Show Profile
I feel for you Angela. I have the same thing but instead of his mother it is his brother. Thier father died young so I think he feels responsible for him but he is 52!!!. But I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl about how he picks the brother over me EVERYTIME(even though he denies it also). We have been married for 17 years and it doesn't get any better. I once had a friend tell me if you have a good guy, sometimes you have to lower your expectations to cope. At first I thought that was stupid I will never. But now I realized if I don't expect him to side with me and keep my mouth shut(I am a big fighter) he will come around to my side eventually. If it was easy there would be no divorces. I am right there with ya sister.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup! We have this argument every couple of months and I think we would have it more often if we lived closer to his parents. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:18:49 AM  Show Profile
We live with his mother so it's nearly daily here. He came up to me as I was typing just now and said "I'm sorry about how stressed you've been and that I'm just adding to it. Lets spend the day in the garden just you and me. No kids. No mom." Just when I'm ready to kick him in the butt he does something sweet. That's why I stay around through it all.

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  1:45:52 PM  Show Profile
I went through that for years. Then finally his Mom decided she wanted our middle child to live with her. At that point he finally decided it was to much and he sided with me. We walked out of her house and haven't seen her since. That was 10 years ago. She occasionally tries to contact my kids on facebook with the instruction that they aren't suppose to tell my Husband and I but they always ignore her requests and tell us right away. I thought he would never take my side but she finally pushed him to far.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Just hugs to you. My hubby's Mom and Dad are deceased, so I don't have these problems. But his sister, whom we live with likes to get him to do stuff for her. She doesn't do anything herself. She is "helpless". So that creates tension and arguments.

Families, are they wonderful??? LOL

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  09:25:07 AM  Show Profile
I used to struggle with this when we lived a few blocks away from his parents. His mother would literally walk into our house and demand that hubby came over to mow her lawn! (Um....what? Why can't your DAD mow it?) And for a long time, he would go do it (and come home to a really steamin' crabby wife!!). I think one day he finally realized he's a big boy and had his own house and responsibilities. Hugs, my dear. I hope it gets better!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  1:04:30 PM  Show Profile
i used to deal with this all the time-i married the baby boy and his mom was very overbearing and i really believe that she was jealous of me because i took him away from her. it took a really long time for us to come to terms with the position we were both in-just communicate with your hubby alot and let him know how you feel. make sure you two go and do things together to- alone- i feel for you it's tough

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:11:52 PM  Show Profile
My MIL was a very good person but had a way of wanting you to do everything her way. That didn't fly with me. They would come over all the time and she would waltz in and take over with our baby daughter. Well, finally we moved out into the country and a few years later a little farther out lol! Then they just thought we were nuts ! Also I put my foot down and let it be known what I would tolerate and what I wouldn't. After that we got along great and loved each other to pieces. Sometimes you just have to take a stand and speak up.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Well girls, I have an announcement! And you won't believe this! I talked to my DH and told him how truly unhappy I was with the life we were living and who was in charge of it. He didn't believe me that it was that bad at first, so he talked to our oldest 2 girls, then my mom, then my dad, then both my sisters, and then his aunt. He asked them all if his mom seemed to be trying to take over and told them he only wanted to know if they had seen anything themselves. They all told him that she plays the helpless game and the poor me pity plays over things that she did for herself when my FIL was still alive. He made a note of everytime she came asking for help or disrupted our lives for three days, literally on paper. Then he took me and went to her, and boy, did he let her have it! After a huge fight and a lot of yelling she finally admitted that it was on purpose because she wanted him to pay more attention to her than me. He was livved! We spent hours talking it all out and she has agreed to leave our girls to us unless they are doing something that could hurt them and we're not around. She is also getting an apartment type thing built on the back so she won't be right up in our face all the time, and she has to ask to join in on anything we're talking about or doing together and I get to decide yes or no! I am in heaven! I have a truly amazing hubby!

Edited by - natesgirl on Apr 09 2010 05:30:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:00:55 AM  Show Profile
See sweetie, speak up! Nothing can get fixed if it is never really dealt with. I am very happy for you and your husband should get a really big pat on the back. Thats a good guy.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  11:52:37 AM  Show Profile
yah for you- that would be very hard to live with everyday. so glad things worked out

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:54:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm so happy for you! "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" :0) *HUG*!!!

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Good Job and Great Job by your DH. Once my husband stood up to his Mom it carried over to his Dad (his parents were divorced) and then his sisters. It feels really great when they finally "get it". He must be a really special guy.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  8:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so happy for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  9:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh good Angela It is always best to be honest and communication is so important in a relationship!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 11 2010 9:23:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I hear you there. I have a very frustrating MIL and my DH tends to be the non-confrontational type.

I'm glad to read that your DH has come to see the truth. Your MIL has to realize that he married YOU, he is an adult and he has a family now, she can't keep throwing her weight around.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Yes i lived like this for years, the best thing for our marriage was we moved far away from his parents and that ended that he took his parents side over mine! I was here and they werent so it made it easier~

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Question About Marriages? Or Rather Husbands! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page