Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 It's finally baseball season again...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic It's finally baseball season again... Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  7:15:31 PM  Show Profile
I guess a passion for baseball doesn't sound much like a farmgirl pursuit but my mom swears my love for it is genetic, passed down from my great-grandpa Grover who, with my great-grandma Grace, homesteaded in the Dakotas. He played semi-pro ball for two different small town teams - the games were on Sunday and he would play one game, then take the train to the next town to play the next. Most of my mom's family is still in North Dakota and they all play rec-league baseball.
From my backyard in the spring I can hear the sound of batting practice from the high school baseball field - to me it is as much a sign of spring as robins. Any other baseball fans? Who is your favorite team?
I grew up in the Seattle area in a family for whom it was a point of pride to root for the underdog - not much of a problem for Seattle sports teams, most of the time anyway - I'm still a Mariners fan!!
Enough musing, off to watch the game
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Apr 06 2010 7:16:27 PM

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Baseball is my favorite sport to watch. My first husband was a great ballplayer and our son, started playing at 6 thru high school. Now my grandson is playing varsity and he's only a sophmore. Last year he played varsity and lettered. He also has played on a traveling team for the last 6 years. So our summers are spent at the ball fields. So we're all glad it's time to play. Take me out to the ball game, anytime!

HUGS~~~Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  9:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Any Grace and Brenda, I am a baseball fan also. I saw my first pro game when the Cobs (or was it the other Chicago team) played the Brocklin Dodgers. That was when I was in the 8th grade.
I am a Colorado Rockies fan and AM I ever glad that the season has started. We are having a blizzard right now and with the ball games I can think that spring is on it's way (I hope)
Looking foreward to a long and good season.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  03:10:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm not one for watcing sports on tv but if I have to, then baseball would be the one. I especially like to watch it live.

Guess the Reds would still have to be my fav. I haven't a clue who most of the players are these days. But I harken back to the days in the 70's of the Big Red Machine. Now THOSE are names I know
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Go Orioles! hehe

Farms and baseball are both true blue American. Nothing wrong with a farm girl loving baseball.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic It's finally baseball season again... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page