vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile
In the fall I burned out 2 of the burner coils on my stovetop using my canner. The burners are really expensive to fix and since the oven is on its last legs I am saving up for a new stove. Definitely will be gas this time.
Here's the question. Has anybody tried processing jars in their canner on a gas grill? Mine works like a charm and its hooked to the gas line so I don't have to worry about running out of gas But will it get hot enough?
Anybody done this?
What about the gas cooker top for a turkey fryer?
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  3:25:45 PM  Show Profile
I think you are okay to water bath but the pressure cooker is not recommended...I am not sure why, I just purcased a new 23 qt pressure canner that you can do 20 pints at a time(I am so excited)and there was a warning on it that said not to use it with a turkey fryer burner. Too hot maybe???

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  8:22:01 PM  Show Profile
i think rea is right i think it would get to hot on the turkey one and not hot enough on the bbq. i saw a warning on my stove that canners would burn up the burners. if you have a side burner on your bbq. it might get hot enough. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  7:39:34 PM  Show Profile
OMG Rea!!! I didn't even know you could buy a canner that would do 20 pints at a time!!!! I have definitely got to upgrade my equipment this year. Where did you find that Rea?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  8:14:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a gas stove so I don't have to worry about it but my sister has electric she does all her canning on the propane burner on her grill and has not had any problems. She even makes her jelly on the grill burner.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

cwinicole
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Laura
Lapwai ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  9:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Send cwinicole a Yahoo! Message
We can peaches every summer in pots that hold 7 jars on a two-burner propane burner type camp stove my dad made. It works fine. My aunt borrows it to can her jelly and she loves it.

Live Simply
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  04:44:19 AM  Show Profile
My aunt does all her canning on a turkey fryer stand and does nicely. They designed a 'lifter rack' for the pressure canner out of two old gas burner grates. You also have to be sure that you are out of the wind so the heat stays constant. Their side porch is out of the wind so it works well for them. It will get a little hot pressure canning like that with no air flow. They have a fan set up about 10 feet from the stand so they can moniter the canner and still cool off. You could try it just be careful to watch your pressure gage and have a table close by to set the canner on when it's done or if you need to get it off the heat quickly.

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile
www.pressurecooker-outlet.com
This is the website I used to purchase my canner if anyone wants to check it out!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  09:22:11 AM  Show Profile
Gas burns hotter than electric so that maybe why not to use the pressure canner. Go to the manufacturer's site of the pressure canner and see if there is an explanation.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gals,
I am going to experiment with both the gas grill and the turkey fryer and will keep you posted
michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile
I can in a pressure canner on a propane stand like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuilt-Propane-Cooker-Stand/11402223
I on;y use it for canning tuna though. Just becasue I can do it inside but the stench of fish is better left outside! :)
I pressure can other things on my stove but the propane stand works great. You just have to monitor it closer than your stove.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page