Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 Technical Support
 just wondering if any one has a spam problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Technical Support: Previous Topic just wondering if any one has a spam problem Next Topic  

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  09:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I was wondering if any one was having a spam problem. I have gotten tons of spam since joining. I am not mad at the members I think this is an outside thing just wondering if any one else has. Also I just editied all my old post to remove my email so if you see lots of updates on old posts that is what I was doing not trying to cause confusion. Just don't want any nasty emails(spams). I hope this doesn't hurt anyones feelings. I also changed to my nick name and removed my real name as that was confusing when spam had my real name. thank you for understanding I will continue to post I have just been out of state for two weeks thanks

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:58:30 AM

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I have never had a spam problem from here. Though I don't know what you had under your profile. I email people from here but it first goes through the farm. Maybe see what Carol thinks.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine:

I think, just from my own experience with other internet/computer related venues, that not posting your email directly is a good idea, same as not posting your address or other personal information. Also unfortunately, at this point it usually is a good idea for any end user to take the responsibility of having virus/spam/malware filters and scanners on their systems/emails.

Since I don't know anything about how our forum is set up, looking into it calls to my attention a number of things we could do better to help combat the issue of spammers. See below in this same message for the final word.

It seems there will be an inevitable risk of automatic programs and malicious users harvesting information from the internet for a while yet, regardless of the efforts and preventive actions taken; there always seems to be some hole and it's just part of the nature of the internet- so much information available, especially from those who don't do the minimum necessary to protect themselves and for those who know how to look.

OK. So here's the final word, now that I've had to look into this more thoroughly.
Spammers can't get a forum member's personal information unless a member posts it publicly. When you send another forum member an e-mail through our forum, the sender is blocked from seeing the e-mail address. The ONLY time someone can get your information is if you post your e-mail publicly on the forum.
We (MaryJanesFarm) are heavily targeted by spammers, because we've made our addresses public in our magazines, our website, and on the forum, not because we're members of the forum. Forum members' e-mails are secure from spammers.

Gabe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  3:47:07 PM  Show Profile
I've been getting a a little spam lately from some place that has stock quotes -- of all things. But I don't think it came from here. I think they got it through Yahoo. You will get lots of spam if you are registering on lots of different websites. I quit doing that and my spam quit until recently.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  4:21:11 PM  Show Profile
I've been getting the stock offers too! They always have various names for the senders and a mish-mash of words for the subject (like always an adjective and a noun, but there are some pretty absurd combinations), but it's the same offer over and over. I asked my hubby if he'd done any trading from my computer, thinking he might have brought it in, but he said he hadn't. Funny you're getting them too, Kay.

Been getting some spam for some um, personal male products too. Ugh.

I'm usually reluctant to use my e-mail to register on a website unless I can hide it, but I don't think it was an option here. And if I put it out on the public side of the forum, if I write it like this: freestyle farm at kwisp dot com, then they can't read it with their harvesting software. But you can.

I wonder why this board is so targeted by spammers. Is it in the way the code is written? Something missing? Is this a particularly sought after market?

I have to say though, what kind of sad sack would give anybody their hard earned money for 'stock' they get spammed about??? I can't imagine this is even close to being for real.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  7:11:47 PM  Show Profile
The stock quote spam has found me as well as the male product ones too.

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  8:44:29 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane made a good point though (outside the topic).
Nowhere on here does anyone get access to members' emails, unless they're directly posted in a topic. Your email isn't ever directly passed via the forum.
I thought I had seen them in various places, but I think those were an assortment of jumbled in my head. I know I've gotten a few because of interactions outside of the forum, but that's outside of the forum, and only if someone replies directly to my email.

I also lumped spam in automatically with certain things I was reading about on the Snitz website, but spam in your email is not necessarily the same thing as I was reading about- like spamming a topic directly after getting onto a forum or posting tons of links in blogs to increase ratings for search engines.

Also, if I think about it, I started getting plenty of spam emails long ago, and before this week I almost never posted on this forum.
I'm not sure what the trigger was, but when they found my email, they came in droves.
So, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause any worries. I was just trying to state that being online always requires caution, and that it's always wise to have filters and protections in place to keep all the little leeches out.

I posted our conclusion about this in the first message above.
Gabe
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  07:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yes the spam I was getting was for male "gross" products. My husband looked at the computer for me and some how blocked most of it. ( he is a software developer so the problem is mostly gone now. Isn't annoying how we get junk mail in our mail boxes killing trees and spam ( junk) mail in our e-boxes which cause annouyances as well as a wast of our time. People really should respect one another I really have no Idea what type of person would buy from a spaming. I would be concerned about what is done with my personal information if I purchased from a spam because you have no idea where or whom it os from or for what real purpose the person is contacting you. Thank you evey one for all your input on this. I feel it most have come from some place else just not sure where. oh well that if life.

Much love to all

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 04 2006 2:22:52 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Technical Support: Previous Topic just wondering if any one has a spam problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page