Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 growing birdhouse & luffa gourds Q's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic growing birdhouse & luffa gourds Q's Next Topic  

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  06:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I was hopping to plant Luffa and birdhouse gourds. However, I don't have any idea what I am doing. My seed packages or my many books aren't helping me much. I have never even seen them growing! Aren't they both vines? How strong do the supports need to be? Do they draw any pests? Is there anything that I should knew before growing them?

Help????

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile
My daughter got inspired last year to try crafting gourds and I am growing ten kinds for her this year. They grow much like vining squash. They do take longer to germinate and some bottom heat helps. I grew the giant bottle gourds last year up a fence and they sort of self-supported the large fruits, but slings help too. If you can keep the larger ones up off the ground, you get a nicer, more uniform gourd.
We have no pests here that bother them (except deer), but some folks complain of squash vine borers. Not sure if you have those in your area.
Good luck...they are fun to grow.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  09:53:21 AM  Show Profile
I know Gail (in Utah) and Helen (in New Zealand) are both very successful at growing gourds too..I bet they would have tips for you!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  10:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Just for fun, plant them! Then watch and see if they need support and add it as needed. I think you want it to be warm and sunny. You might try planting the seed in a plantable peat pot and starting them on top of a dog bed warmer. I got one for my geriatric dog a few years ago. It does not get very warm, is totally waterproof and enclosed in a rigid plastic case so setting pots on top would not hurt it. You might want to put a water tray under the pots though. Then when the plants are up and showing their first real leaves plant them outside in a warm sunny location where you can add a tomatoe cage or some other support if you need to, so you have something to tie the sling supports to for getting the gourds off the ground. I have heard you can use old nylon stockings as slings.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic growing birdhouse & luffa gourds Q's Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page