kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  05:31:45 AM  Show Profile
One of my goats, Faith, always gets a green runny gookie nose this time every year. And also in the fall. And it's just pure nasty. It looks to me like she may have allergies just like a human gets. I take local honey for mine. Is honey safe to give to a goat too? I just thought I'd try it and see but want to make sure it's not going to kill her. And I know one of you farmgirls will know.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile
i dont know kris. one of my goats on an account i have is the same way. interested in the answers you get. i know dogs do noy have the enzyme in their stomach to digest honey. so good question. sherrye ginger has a boyfriend ya ya

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris - sorry to hear that you have a goat with this condition. The honey will not help like it does in humans.. The reason we use the honey is because the bees take the pollen from those things that we have the issue with - so really what you needing is to build a tollerance to that pollen. You can treat the goat with the plant as long as it is not toxic.. Here I an some of my animals have terrible time with pine pollen so I take the honey they eat the branchs. I cut just a few tips from the pine and slow introduce that into their diet - works! Now if I turned them loose in the forest it would be too much and we would upset their digestive track...

Since I do not know your place what do you she is having the problem with?? If you find that out we can also go from there. There are also herbal blends that can help their immune system which will less the problem. Hoep that helps but if you need more I will do some digging once we know the offending plant.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  10:27:06 AM  Show Profile
There are pine and cedar trees where they are now. Nothing else. I do pull down the branches about every other day for them to eat. But around the property there are maples, wild cherry, privet, blackberry, wild roses, honeysuckle. Also dandelion, violet and henbit are blooming now too. That's mostly what we have around these parts right now. So maybe it's the pine pollen. None of the other goats have this problem.

Sherrye, I bet Ginger's a happy goat. I need to go get my buck from last year to take to my friend up the road to breed his doe. I'll go next week. I don't feel like going anywhere today. I just painted the little barn up front a pale green. It was barn red. Now it looks gray.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat with allergies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page