Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic goats have lice again Next Topic  

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  05:36:57 AM  Show Profile
help- every spring my goats get lice ever though i clean the barn. this year i decided i didn't want to put harmful chemicals on them so i bought some diatomaceous earth but it doesn.t seem to be working real well-any suggestions? whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  07:27:35 AM  Show Profile
i know with the de it has to be in contact with the lice. so getting it on everywhere is a job in its self.i am watching to see what is suggested too.sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  09:36:28 AM  Show Profile
I would break down and maybe use some corral powder. The lice are usually in the straw and their eggs lay dormant through the winter and as soon as it warms up a bit the eggs hatch and you can get a huge outbreak. I don't like to use chemicals but I drench mine with ivomec injectable in the spring. I use 1 cc for every 75 lbs as a drench. If they are pregnant I use the corral until they freshen.

I haven't had that problem in years but I am getting my straw from a different person the past few years and it hasn't seemed to be an issue. If you have chickens close by they can come from them also.

Goodluck

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile
thank you for the great suggestions. i will keep trying the d.e. maybe i need to rub it in better

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  12:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I know DE works good for bugs that have jointed bodies and scales on their bodies like fleas, ants, spiders and such. But soft bodies like lice I have found has not been so effective. Be careful your goats and you don't breath in the DE as it can cause very bad lung problems.
Their may be herbal sprays online that would work well. I know I have seen them. I would check out Molly's Herbals and see if she has anything to use. That is where I get my Herbal wormer and udder balm from. She has very good products and tons of info on goats. Its a goldmine of info. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic goats have lice again Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page