nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile
First I want to say, that I HIGHLY recommend using the http://www.backyardchickens.com/ website, it's amazing! Huge amount of info there! Here's my story so far...

We have just started building our first chicken coop! Since we do organic gardening/some permaculture on our city lot in Boise, I really have wanted to do this for a while. Finally talked my husband Dave into it. My goal was to recycle and buy as little as possible. We had a "garage" for our previous recycling bins outside, but the city changed and now we can mix it all. Since it was nice and sturdy, 4x4's, nice siding, plastic roof, etc. my hubby (who initially HATED the idea) suggested we convert it, great idea! The coop is about 80% complete: re-used some leftover cedar picket fencing for the nesting area floor and back (will line w/plastic chicken netting), scrap wood, took doors off front of garage to re-use as the walls, will add lower and side run areas.

The main coop area with the nesting boxes is pretty weather tight, 1/2" wood, with the floor having slats for ventilation. I may cover the netted area with plastic for more heat retention in the winter. If needed, I can run a cord out with a bulb. Other Boise folks said they don't add extra heat, just add more straw for extra insulation. Will keep an eye on, it's dry here, little snow here (except randomly) and sunny a lot in the winter. We will also build a seperate "tractor/run" to move around the yard. We'll build a pvc hoop or rectangle area with netting.

Our 2 new "girls"- a "Pru"- a Plymouth Barred Rock/Black Sex Linked, "Sarah"- Red Sex Linked (we think)are busy growing in our spare bedroom. They have all fallen asleep in my hands, so sweet. I bought 3, but had to take it back as it was mis-ID'd, breed wise and not a good choice for a small area.

Some pics so far-

coop/house in progress:

inside, with roost and slatted cedar fencing/floor-

our 2 girls!:

Be the change...

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  9:38:17 PM  Show Profile
New girl #3, A Rhode Island Red, only RRI survived being shipped to the store. What a fuzzball, no name yet. I think Molly Brown?

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Apr 03 2010 10:08:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  9:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
soo cute Nancy!! Love that name!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:20:38 AM  Show Profile
I love Molly Brown. I will get my chicks when I get home from Sacramento in late April, I have been saving the name Gladys for one of the chicks. Yours are so cute!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  10:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Molly didn't make it, but now have an older chick "Rosie" and added a mirror, what fun!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  5:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Love the mirror picture!! Super cute :) Enjoy your babies!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  9:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Awww, so cute. Wish I had mine. Dawn

"though an old man yet, I am a young gardener." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  9:43:14 PM  Show Profile
They're enjoying the new pine shavings floor, scratching and having a blast!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  9:43:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm excited, we're almost done with our portable tractor/run, should finish tomorrow, will post pics. THEN I can take the girls outside for a short time. Still pretty cool out...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  07:23:26 AM  Show Profile
the mirror idea is great.lol so very cute. good for you

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  8:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Here's an update- chicks are much bigger, My husband Dave and I starting our portable chicken tractor/run made from eletrical pvc he got wholesale from his store. PVC glue is so much fun, er! Works great so far! It is about 5' long x 2 1/2' wide x 2 1/2' high, my design size for max use of materials. Covered with mesh and a roof (in background, green plastic from SHIP, a used building materials store). FINISHED!!! Lightweight (about 10 lbs.), weather proof, durable, with roost and shelter from sun and rain. Area for food/water and maybe a mirror!

Well, I added a fresh coat of paint today to coop in progress, painted the 2x2's for the front edge, added the black vent for some light and ventilation, nesting walls are in, back wall all done. We should be done tomorrow, hopefully. Will add a front door frame, netting, ladder and house roost door. I must say I love the opening roof, my idea! Chicks are all out this afternoon enjoying the warm (70!) spring afternoon. They're really enjoying themselves!

new tractor/run!
enjoying the 70 degree day!

Coop almost done!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  08:34:51 AM  Show Profile
What a great little house, cant wait to see it completed! I purchased my ladies from Dunlaps, here in Caldwell, I originally bought 10 ladies, 1 roo, 2 guineas and 3 ducks, what the heck was I thinking. 1 of the gals died on Christmas day, I felt bad cos I never even named her, another one, Henny Penny died yesterday. Unknown causes for each, no obvios signs of trauma for either, I wonder if they fly into something, bumping their heads and....anyway, I pick up 5 more May 25.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  10:24:06 AM  Show Profile
I got mine from Zamzow's, although their sales people at the State st. store didn't know what they were selling me, breed-wise, but it turned out okay. I lost the 3rd chick, she was too stressed or sick during shipping, only one of 3 in the batch that made it alive to the store, not a good sign. So I got #4, Rosie, the one breed I really wanted- a Rhode Island Red....

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  9:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Almost done, just some hardware cloth to add and then done. The girls are getting big!!!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  2:27:44 PM  Show Profile
The girls new pics- and I realized "Pru" is a black sex link when I saw more brown feathers growing in-

The other two Sarah, bigger, and Rosie-

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Apr 25 2010 2:31:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  4:21:53 PM  Show Profile
It's all DONE!!!

It's all done except for some "eye bolts" so I can access the panel on the left. Both larger hardware cloth panels can be easily removed (by people) for cleaning, etc. Both roofs open for easy cleaning/access, I decided to use the hardware cloth front and back/low for protection. The ladder can be raised during the day for more floor space, and the metal strut on the top inside for hanging the big feed/water troughs. I haven't decided if I want to put a door at the top of the ladder or not. I might for the winter... and I'm not done DECORATING IT YET! I might add a micro-window box with flowers for the girls, ahhhhhhhhhh........

I think it came out pretty good for a re-invented recycle bin garage

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Apr 25 2010 4:22:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  4:58:06 PM  Show Profile
So what do you think???

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  5:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Great job Nancy, I love it!! How do the girls like it?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:09:38 PM  Show Profile
It's still tooo cold at night right now (30's) but they should be out in the next couple of weeks, depending on the weather. They spent the day out in the portable tractor/run though and loved it!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:10:18 PM  Show Profile
They should be heading out this weekend, if heat's needed will do. They are getting BIG!!!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  5:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Girls in the coop! The two sections melded together-

Be the change...