Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 favorite stories of brave &/or innovative women
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic favorite stories of brave &/or innovative women Next Topic
Page: of 2

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  6:30:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm always looking for true stories of brave or innovative women. These are some of mine:

Alaska Nellie by Nellie Neal Lawson
Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart
Schoolteacher in Alaska by Hannah Breece
Rosalind Franklin: Dark Woman of DNA

What are your favorites?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love the one Arctic Homestead by Norma Cobb, Charles W. Sasser. It is really good!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  08:55:35 AM  Show Profile
Channah,`

I like Alaska/arctic stories - is it from the 1800 or 1900's?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Read Half Broke Horses---real good. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  11:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Judy, it is in the early 1900's. Here is what it is about!

In 1973, Norma Cobb, her husband Lester, and the their five children, the oldest of whom was nine-years-old and the youngest, twins, barely one, pulled up stakes in the Lower Forty-eight and headed north to Alaska to follow a pioneer dream of claiming land under the Homestead Act. The only land available lay north of Fairbanks near the Arctic Circle where grizzlies outnumbered humans twenty to one. In addition to fierce winters and predatory animals, the Alaskan frontier drew the more unsavory elements of society’s fringes. From the beginning, the Cobbs found themselves pitted in a life or death feud with unscrupulous neighbors who would rob from new settlers, attempt to burn them out, shoot them, and jump their claim.

The Cobbs were chechakos, tenderfeet, in a lost land that consumed even toughened settlers. Everything, including their “civilized” past, conspired to defeat them. They constructed a cabin and the first snow collapsed the roof. They built too close to the creek and spring breakup threatened to flood them out. Bears prowled the nearby woods, stalking the children, and Lester Cobb would leave for months at a time in search of work.

But through it all, they survived on the strength of Norma Cobb---a woman whose love for her family knew no bounds and whose courage in the face of mortal danger is an inspiration to us all. This is her story.

Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  5:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Channah,

Sounds like my kind of book. You would definitely like Alaska Nellie - its along the same lines, but she is a single woman.

Marybeth,

Half-broke Horses is going on my list,too.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  7:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Really?!?! I will have to read that. Thanks so much!! I love reading stories like that. Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  8:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, she wasn't a farmgirl in the literal sense, but I have several books on the life and writings of Julian of Norwich. She lived in the 1300's and appears to be the first woman to have written a book in the English language. Her ideas are just as fresh and innovative today as they were then. She wrote about God, how he is both our mother and father, and how "all shall be well".Little is known about her life--was she a nun? What is known is that she received visions from God that the Church thought important enough that they made her write them down in a book. And that's pretty incredible for a woman of that era to be taken seriously by men. And people are still reading about her today--not just those who are Catholics, but people from all walks of life. As she said about the visions--"the reason was Love".

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  9:57:11 PM  Show Profile
I loved Half Broke Horses too, I know I have others but my brain is asleep already.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  7:26:45 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to read up on the books mentioned here. I love true stories of women. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  12:25:02 PM  Show Profile
The Dollmaker by Harriet Arnow..one of my all time favorite books.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  8:08:53 PM  Show Profile
I love anything by Jane Kirkpatrick. She writes beautiful historical fiction on brave frontier women from 100+ years ago. You feel so connected to these women after reading one of her books. Her books are full of timeless wisdom, encouragement, and inspiration.

~Michelle
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  04:33:23 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,

What is The Dollmaker about?

Judy
Farm sister #932

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  06:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Here's on for you. "The Rugged Road" by Theresa Wallach. London to Cape Town overland by Panther motorcycle and sidecar, pull a trailer. No roads, no back up-just straight across the Sahara through equatorial Africa, and South to the Cape-in 1935, whithout even a compass! This is quite simply, the most amazing motorcycle journey ever told and a revelation to today's traveller. Theresa Wallach was, until her death in 1998, a well known motorcycle rider and trainer in the USA. She wrote one of the best early works on motorcycle riding with the emphasis on safety. She was definately a pioneer and a rugged, out there woman!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  09:38:19 AM  Show Profile
Love reading about spunky people - The Rugged Road sounds right up my alley.Thanks for sharing about it.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
These all sound wonderful!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

chrystaldale
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Chrystal
WV
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  4:21:13 PM  Show Profile
I love the book "Follow The River" by James Alexander Thom. Based on a true story and it happened not too far from where I live. She(Mary Draper Ingalls) was captured by Indians and taken a few states away, then she escaped to make it home again back to her family. She was a very brave woman. Good read!

Edited by - chrystaldale on Apr 05 2010 4:22:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  4:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Mrs. Mike was a good book too!
I'll have to check out Arctic Homestead. It sounds like my kind of book.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  5:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Chrystal, Is the author related to Laura Ingalls Wilder?

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Judy...the Dollmaker is about a Kentucky backwoods sharecropper family. The wife carves wooden dolls as a hobby and for her kids and ends up later needing to make them and little animals to sell to help support her family. It is set during world war II and they end up in Detroit..very fish out of water...and it is just the most heart rending, but uplifting at the same time story about the amazing mom.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wow, these all sound soo good! I will have to get reading! Thanks so much ladies!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  12:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,

The Dollmaker is on the list now, too. I can understand why they feel like a fish out of water in Detroit, I do, too, every time I go there. hehe

No what you mean, Channah, between this site and Goodreads, I have so many good books to read! But that is a good problem.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

chrystaldale
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Chrystal
WV
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  1:19:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by patchworkpeace

Chrystal, Is the author related to Laura Ingalls Wilder?

No,.. I believe it is a just a coincidence. People always get the two woman mixed up. Here is a link to a site about her,..
http://www.blueridgecountry.com/archive/mary-draper-ingles.html
It is a very good book and also a good movie.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  3:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the link, Chrystal. Very interesting story and beautiful scenery, too.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It is a wonderful problem Judy. lol Your on Goodreads too?!? So am I. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  03:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, If you like historical fiction about strong women read One Thousand White Women. I can't recall the author (a man!), but when I remember I'll post his name. It's one of my favorites. I'll think of more...Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic favorite stories of brave &/or innovative women Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page