Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A little bit of food poisoning....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A little bit of food poisoning.... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  8:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Yikes is about all I can say.

Last nite we ate burritos. Hubby ate two and I ate one. During the nite, I started have some pains in my body. At first, I thought I was having a heart attack! Then hubby started having the same thing.

What are the odds of having an attack at the same time??

So, this morning, we were just blah but drove on and unloaded a partial load close to Denver and then headed on up I-76. As time went on, we just felt worse and had to stop quite a bit to, er, 'camp out' in rest areas or small truckstops. We felt like our middle was tied up into knots with shooting pains.

So, then, at one rest area in NE, while hubby was 'busy', I called the truckstop to clue them in. This is a place we've stayed several times and never a problem. It's very, very clean and I felt they should know about this. So far, it hasn't been bad enough for a doctor but we certainly know things aren't right inside.

The manager took my complaint and thanked me profusely and said he'd investigate. I gave my address and phone and he's welcome to let me know what he finds out.

Anyway, we called it quits early tonite. Hubby just couldn't go on and I couldn't do anymore driving legally, so we just quit for the evening.

Just to let everyone know, things are 'progressing' along 'nicely' and I'm feeling a lot better. Hubby is doing better but still a bit blah. I'll drive in the morning and let his innards keep working things through.

Just a rotten feeling!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Winona!! My tap teacher had food poisoning a few weeks ago. I am so glad you are all feeling better! Gosh, how terrible. I will be praying that you have a full recovery. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Did you by chance have guacamole with your burritos? I ate at a popular chain restaurant last year and became very ill. I think it was the guacamole--it just had a funny taste. I still am feeling the effects of that dinner--sometimes my whole digestive system gets out of whack. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Eat yogurt to put the good bacteria back into your systems. Food poisoning can be quite serious, so please take good care of yourselves.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe some probiotic yogurt would help?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Drink plenty of water to flush it all out.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Funny you should mention yogurt. This truckstop (in Grand Island, NE) has yogurt (Yoplait, I think??) and I bought some. I had to almost hold hubby's nose and force his mouth open to get him to eat it, but eat it he did!! We've been drinking a lot of water and liquids (Sprite) as my bladder can attest.

This is the second worst fp episode I've ever had and I don't want any more repeat!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'll be praying for you and your hubby Winona! Keep us updated!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:50:24 PM  Show Profile
No guacamole. These had shredded beef, chilies, cheese and pinto beans. The taste was fab then, not so fab NOW.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  03:27:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh boy do I feel you pain!

I had a RAGING case of this a few weeks ago and barely made it home. Spent a few rough hours on the bathroom floor from being too weak to move anywhere else. Think mine was from an under cooked burger. It hit 2 hours after being consumed. Took nearly a full week before things were normal. Ate lots of yogurt to put the "friendly" bacteria back in.

Hope you recover soon!!
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  05:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh yuck, Im so sorry you both are feeling rotten its not fun being sickly on the road, or not anywhere really but more of not at home. Hope you are both feeling better this am. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  06:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Update: This AM we're slightly better, me moreso than hubby. But the shooting pains are gone and hubby is flat washed out. We'll take it easy today and after unloading tmr in Chicago, we're going home for a bit.

We aren't made of steel any more...*sigh*....

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  06:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Glad you are going to be able to go home. Praying for you both. Take care of yourselves. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  11:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you are feeling a little better today Winona! Take it easy today! Your in my prayers!
Annika, I am so sorry you were feeling bad too. I am glad you are back to "Normal".
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I got sick from shrimp one time. It was years before I could eat shrimp again!!!

Yogurt is the best idea.

I am planning on getting my Hepititis A shot. It can be passed thru food. Bri had to get hers as it is a state law here. I am not taking any chances.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Winona....Nothing worse than food poisoning. Uggh!

Take care...."this too shall pass"

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  7:33:27 PM  Show Profile
ooooh, bless your heart! Feel better soon!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Hope you guys are both feeling better tonight. There is nothing worse than food poisoning, only thing worse is being in a truck, goin' down the road. I used to ride with my late hubby when my schedule allowed, I got food poisoning at the truckstop in Redding.....and Ohhhhhhhh boy, that was not fun at all. Take good care of both of ya!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  9:58:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cheneygal

Hope you guys are both feeling better tonight. There is nothing worse than food poisoning, only thing worse is being in a truck, goin' down the road. I used to ride with my late hubby when my schedule allowed, I got food poisoning at the truckstop in Redding.....and Ohhhhhhhh boy, that was not fun at all. Take good care of both of ya!!

live, laugh, love

Oh my goodness!! In Redding, CA?? THAT is where I got my worst case of fp EVER! The buffet line. Hubby and I ate the same thing except I got a piece of fried chicken (he didn't) and got soooo sick I wanted to lie down and almost die! We ate there about 2 weeks ago and I was leery but we had to stay there cuz our truck had to go to the KW shop so I thought I'd eat something out of the kitchen. The rest. manager said they had had a LOT of fp several years ago but had cleaned up their act. No buffet anymore, only a salad bar...which I avoided out of principle.

Anyway, update: we are doing well. Things 'progressed' normally and we are back to normal. I'm still eating some yogurt but hubby refuses, silly man. But plenty of water and we're fine now.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  10:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am soo glad Winona!! Thanks for keeping us all updated!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  02:59:28 AM  Show Profile
Glad that you are feeling better, but sorry you felt so badly. Food poisoning is not fun!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  6:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Yep, it was Redding, Ca., but....wasn't the buffet, DH always avoided that one, it was breakfast, right from the kitchen!! That truckstop used to be a '76' years ago, probably been bought out by TA, or Petro by now. Hope you guys are doin' good and headed home for a few days!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  05:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Winona, you will probably have pains everytime you even see a burrito! I got food poisoning from a chicken salad sandwich at a convention in Chicago years ago and still have a hard time eating chicken salad to this day. I am so glad you are feeling better.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  05:55:49 AM  Show Profile
I had that 30 years ago and I remember how awful it was. I did not eat another hot-dog for 10 years,I am so glad your both better now.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A little bit of food poisoning.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page