Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 effects on newer generations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic effects on newer generations Next Topic  

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  3:58:34 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to share some things I'd been discussing recently with pals...

I was warned that when I turn 30 (this year!) I'll start feeling the aches and pains right away... But I already feel them! I read a study not long ago that the younger generations of today are starting to feel "older" younger... they get creaky, achy, and start having memory loss at younger ages. I can't remember exactly why, but I'm sure it has to do with lifestyles nowadays. I always feel like I shouldn't be having these problems yet, but both DH and I do. Very unfortunate.

My neighbor and I were also discussing how younger generations are more apt to lose common skills because technology makes it more convenient for our brains and bodies, so we lose basic lots of basic math and function skills. She said it is important to keep using your motor skills, especially hands, to help prevent alzheimer's. So I said "well that's good! Because those farmgirl hobbies, such as knitting, sewing, gardening, etc. are actually good for you!"

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  4:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I think it is very bad what you are saying. I was still in very good shape and etc at 30. Matter of fact I did not have any pains etc until I hit 50. I know from subing at schools last year all grades. Kids do not learn like we did nor are they made to use there brains. They are able to use to many machines. That when I was in school was a no no. Teachers would give you a 0 on the paper for using them. Kids also do not read like when I grew up. Also the foods have to many non foods in them that have been linked to everything that is going wrong with our bodies to over weight problems. All I can say I am sorry for you but you have seen something come over you maybe you can turn it around. My son and daughter are in their mid to late 30's and I have not heard them say to much on this subject. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:01:06 PM  Show Profile
I was just talking with my husband about this the other day. I'm turning 30 in June and I already have aches and pains all the time and actually FEEL like I am getting older, ya know? I feel so young inside and it's hard for me to come to terms with my body aging :( We're actually going to get a gym membership because I feel like if we exercise it might make our bodies stronger and more resilient.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I try to use as little technology as possible when I do homework, unless I need it for a hard math problem, or I need to look something up. I do think that people are too reliant on technology and not enough on common sense. It is good that our hobbies are good for us!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  7:43:33 PM  Show Profile
I think that there are way too many toxins that are in our food, our air, cleaning products, and on and on and on And that is definately contributing to illnesses developing earlier than in the "old" days.

Where is the purity today? Where is the hard work? I know that our life span is getting greater compared to 50-years ago, but our parents, and their parents worked hard, but ate well don't you think?
I think life was more physically demanding--a simpler life style for sure, but healthier by a long shot.

Also, not to change the subject, but what's up with how tall people are getting?? I have to laugh because I am only 5-feet 4-1/2 inches tall---but all of my kids are well above my height---Additives? Preservatives? What?

Now I have to look up and shake my finger at my youngest boy and he's only 14!

Thanks for letting me rant....

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Melody,
I recently read an article that made me really stop and think about our current lifestyle. The main point of the article was concerning why our young girls are developing and maturing so quickly and so much more than we did. It also covered things like height and larger body build in general. They stated that it has a great deal to do with light. It made the point that in the past people have worked from sun-up to sun-down because they couldn't work in the dark. Now we have light so we stay up way later in the evenings they people use to. I remember my Grandparents were always in bed by 9. Our Children are spending 4 or 5 more hours in the light than we use to. So the article said that the extra growth was due to the extra hours in the light. Which if you think about it makes a lot of since. Plants only grow when there is light and if you add extra light they grow more. The size of animals isn't changing (except through breeding programs) but people are.
It made since to me.
As far as us getting old sooner I think it has to do with the fact that we sit so much. We watch TV, cruise the net, we don't work outside. We don't let our kids play outside because it is dangerous etc. Those are my thought anyway. LOL

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  3:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
OK beth not all of us fit that mold you are talking about. I know my dh and I do not. No tv, no soft drinks, I cook most of all our meals from scratch. Most of the food and meat is home growen or hunted. Both the dh and I are over 55 and within a good weight range. Both are working on lossing that winter gain of 10 lbs as well. We love working out side most days even in winter until dark. Love you all farm girls. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I know a lot of the farmgirls and their family's don't fit the mold. The comment was a generalization for the majority of the population. I don't personally fit the mold either. But my DH does. We are both at a good weight. I try very hard to eat healthy but he smokes and drinks to much beer (sort of a problem for a lot of Texas Men) LOL. That being said I would be willing to bet that most of the rest of the people that live around me fit the generalization. Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone. I use to work with Girl Scouts in a program where the girls would come and spend the whole weekend, almost every weekend at camp. I was amazed at what the girls would show up with to eat for the weekend. The adults were even worse. Microwave pizza, microwave hamburgers etc. Then they would whine because the didn't feel good. Once again sorry if I upset anyone.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  10:48:35 AM  Show Profile
I know I don't fit the mold... now. My generation was still fairly new to the internet and I feel we are some of the last of the younger generations to have had a fairly healthy childhood... but those changes in society and lifestyle were definitely there. I was forced to excercise in the military and now live the country lifestyle and feel healthier than i ever have before! But the aches and pains are still there... the memory issues are still there. So it's something, i just don't know what, that causes these issues. I do wonder at times if it's all the additives in foods and cleaners... they already did their damage and now i'm working to undo it. My friend believes she is "bustier" than she genetically should be because of the hormones in milk and meat. I wouldn't doubt it...

Melody, maybe it's those same hormones that contribute to being a taller society now? that's interesting...

Beth, that's an interesting notion that we are taller and larger because of more light... it makes sense. Life is much simpler when you don't rely on clocks and time, but by nature to tell you when to go to bed and everything else for that matter...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  3:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Beth, my science teacher said that teens' circadian rythms, the cycle in our body that tells us to go sleep and wake up, is off because of too much exposure to unnatural light. We might be on to something...
I also read that your eyes should get about 5 minutes of unprotected sun exposure everyday to make sure your body's natural rythm stays on track.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Only because I drive a big rig all the time, that's why I feel a bit older, nothing more, nothing less. I've gained some weight and it's not comfortable but don't know how to fix it. I eat whole foods and fruit/veggies and have cut out as much salt as I can while on the road. When I'm home, I cook from scratch and *bonus* turns out, I'm a pretty good cook! (Who knew??)

Then this menopause thing is doing some sort of number on my body but I figger, my body knew what to do when I was pregnant and had kids, so I guess all this is normal now.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  03:30:38 AM  Show Profile
It's the old addage move it or loose it

I know a lot of older people who are constantly on the move and have more energy than most teens and 20 somethings.

My hubby who is 46 is a prime example. He can still maintain a 22mph bicycle speed average and on some outings will sometimes go 30 to 50 miles. He did 100 2 years ago

People and city slickers especially need to stay moving and get out of the house!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:05:38 AM  Show Profile
melody i have been on the clean up my life wagon for a long time.you girls are right on. chemicals in our environment can cause trouble with our hormones and well being. many look like thyroid molecules some look like estrogen. the body does not know it will not work correctly. we then have hot flashes and mood swings. the wrong molecule is in a spot needed for a real hormone. real one can not get in the slot, its full with a fake one that will not do the job. there are no laws to protect folks in u.s. from chemicals made by co.s just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:04:15 AM  Show Profile
At 60 years old I think we can be a lot more in charge of our bodies and the feeligns of age.

I'm a firm believer in yoga for maintaining flexibility, good posture and feeling younger.

I know diet makes a tremendous difference for me. When I have too much sugar, like around holidays, I get arthritis aches that are almost non-existant when I avoid sugar.

I agree with Anna, stay as active as you can. Its amazing how fast we can do less, when we choose to do less!

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  03:45:17 AM  Show Profile
I know an 80 year old who has been swimming every day for the past 30 or so years and is still a'gettin' it
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic effects on newer generations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page