New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Coyotes! Next Topic  

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:02:41 AM  Show Profile
The coyotes are getting brave! There was one in my yard harassing my Bluheeler male the other night. I am worried. Any sugestions?

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:05:56 AM  Show Profile
shoot, shovel and shut-up, if they are in that close, they will be attcking and killing soon, where there is one, they is most likely a pack in the back ground.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, short of getting a donkey I think Teresa is right. We use to have a female donkey that killed all that came inside the fencing. They learned to stay on the outside of the pasture fence. We kept three donkeys at the horse rescue I worked at and we never had them inside the fencing. The females donkey's seem to be the best at keeping them out. But, otherwise I don't know what to do.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you don't like the idea of killing it you could always try shooting it with a bb gun or using one of those air horn blaster thingies that let off the really loud noise if you see them around.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
We have a pack in our area that has gone after my 100-plus pound Anatolian Shepherd twice. DH will shoot them any time he gets a chance. We have contacted Game & Fish and they don't seem to be real interested.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:17:40 AM  Show Profile
We had a dog killed by coyotes once...I do feel sorry for the coyotes, but not sorry enough not to shoot them if they come after my animals.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Anytime they are coming in that close they are a real danger - they will even attach humans.

I have three Great Pyr's also several trained Llamas. My Llama boys have killed three coyotes over the time we have lived here. The dogs keep them at bay and attacked one but did not kill it - I did. Then there is those who ran into a bullet. The DOW will not help so do whatever it takes because trust me here in Colorado we are having more coyotes attacking humans, children and dogs - this is in the city.

If you do not own a gun you can always hire one - some of them do it for free so they can have the pelts. Good luck and be safe.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Rea, I suggest that you put a bullet in that coyote before he kills your dog or your livestock. Dept.of conservation offered to show me how to set snares to catch coyotes but I was afraid that I would get one of the dogs in a snare. I carry a 22 pistol with me most of the time.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh,
spend lots and lots of time with them.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Please keep a close eye on your blue heeler. I've heard that a coyote pack will send out a female in heat to attract a male dog. Then they attack and kill the dog. Coyotes are smart and they sometimes lie. If I were you, I'd shoot them if they got too close.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  5:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Shoot em if you can. They seem to pose in front of our gas tank, or chicken coops, so we cant shoot. Big dog and a bunch of little dogs keep them out of the area, but they sure have to work hard all night to do it. Only time the coyotes arent near by is when the bears are. Farming in the woods has its challenges!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  7:29:24 PM  Show Profile
One of my outside cats had four kittens that were ripped open and killed by coyotes. I sat and waited for days for them to return, but they never did. I was sitting with my gun, waiting patiently.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  04:34:14 AM  Show Profile
I have been hearing the babies at night now so I know it is a pack not just a random wanderer. I dont have a problem with shooting them but it's so dark when they come around that I don't get a good view. Full moon is in the sky this week! Wish me luck!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  03:40:42 AM  Show Profile
I've seen where hunters can use unfrared sensors to hunt at night.

Look to see if you can order one maybe from Cabela's or if you happen to have a Bass Pro Shop nearby.

Set yourself up to protect those pets!

Poor kitty who got ripped up. That's sad
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
hire a gunman like suggested. they will go get more of their buddies. where my jersey is living 2 nights ago she had a bobcat and baby on her front porch. we have yearling calves there. scarey isnt it. she shot the gun off. she had coyotes last month. too much good food for them in close to people. and we are taking all the land. sad but must protect yourself. just thoughts sherrye she took photos of the foot prints in the snow AT her front door.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  08:37:39 AM  Show Profile
We had a cow to have her calf and the coyotes had ate the guts out of it by the time we found her. We usually get the cows up in a lot closer to the barn but I didn't catch this one. She had it in the night and my dogs guarding the sheep were throwing fits but they were in the sheep lot. She still had the after birth hanging out of her when I found her yesterday morning. You could see where she where she tried to defend her calf. I worked hard to buy this cow, cost at about $2000, I build fences, I buy feed and hay and mineral...then I have to be awake night and day to guard and protect a creature that is penned up and can't escape these wild animals. The conservation department and the parks department has many thousands of acres of land...I pay taxes to support these acres...build some tall fences and let all the wildlife you want to roam those acres and leave my animals alone!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh,
spend lots and lots of time with them.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Keeper of the Past.... I feel your pain. We lost a calf to either coyotes or wild dogs just about a month ago. We put a wildlife camera on the dead calf just after they got her and saw both dogs and coyotes standing there just minutes after we put the camera up in the morning daylight hours. We try to get the cows up closer also when its time to calve, but we have a very wooded 80 acres with a creek running through it that they stay on. Our corral is small, so I don't like to keep them there for more than a day or so. I guess I will clean out a space in the barn and sleep there to keep watch when we make the corral a little bigger.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  09:06:12 AM  Show Profile
We have them here in MN too. They seem to have moved into the area in the last 10 or so years. One neighbor raises small dogs and has secure kennels. Her husband says the coyotes hang out at the edge of the trees surrounding their yard and make "little dog yipping sounds", trying to lure any little dog out. We hear them howling at night, especially at a full moon. We have two young Aussies, we had hoped to leave them out at night to keep deer out of the orchard, but now we are keeping them in at night. There should be space for wild animals, but these coyotes are getting too numerous and bold.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  11:18:09 AM  Show Profile
I just had a young fox kill one of my chickens this morning, right beside our house. We just live 2 miles out of town and we have coyotes all around, plus many other forms of wildlife...cougars, bobcats, even wolves and haven't had any problems until today. We knew there was a fox den on the hillside across the road because we have seen the bigger fox way up on the hillside, but there has never been any sign of them coming into or near our yard. I guess because it's pretty open all around our house and they don't feel safe and we do have a very noisy dog.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Edited by - Celticheart on Apr 02 2010 7:23:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  8:41:15 PM  Show Profile
We just moved to Michigan. When there was still snow on the ground I took a walk through our backyard and commented to my husband that it looked like somebody was letting some really BIG dogs run loose.

Then talked to some of the neighbors and I am hearing that we have them too. Seems that ducks and geese around here are short-lived, and sometimes cats.

I haven't seen or heard one yet, and I hope I never do!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  11:47:10 AM  Show Profile
I lost 2 ducks and 3 geese to coyotes in the span of about 48 hours. In May or June, they typically give birth, so they are feeding their young, which is when this happened. I was LIVID, I tell you! So, we penned up everyone much more securely at night and got a clamplight and pointed it in the direction of the woods. Also, my husband brushhogged the woods closest to the pens. No problems since. However, I know they'll be back. I have a local friend and hunter who is jumping at the chance to come hunt on our property. I did consider getting a Great Pyr, but honestly I do not want another big dog. And, I don't want to fool with another big animal like a donkey or llama right now, either.

I try to live w/ wildlife as amicably as possible, but coyotes will wipe you out. And they are SMART, too. Ugh. I tracked these guys through our woods using their paw prints they left (which I measured to be sure it was coyote) and followed the trail of feathers they left. It was so disheartening!!!

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Coyotes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page