willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile
We have three English mastiffs and at least two have been stealing eggs out of the outside nest box. They just chomp down on them and spit out most of the shell!!!! I have raised the nest box up but they are BIG dogs and they are still trying to get in it. Has anyone had this problem before??? Any suggestions other than removing the nest box? I have about 7 hens that will only lay In This nester and it keeps me from having to go on an egg hunt everyday!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile
I know that this is not a good thing but it is to funny. I can just see these giant egg thiefs lurking outside the nest boxes. Caught with egg on thier faces. Hope you find a solution.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I sure wish I knew what to tell you. My dogs were eating some of my eggs but it was so easy for them to get to them. I had a crate in the cat room and they would just reach in and get the eggs. So I put a stool in front of it. I also has some hens laying up front in the hen house and the dogs were getting those eggs. I finally figured out I had left the gate open. So shutting the gate stopped that.

But those Mastiffs are big dogs. I really don't think anything is too high for them. I wonder if you could put a little fence around the box with a small door the hens can get through. Or put a cage around it somehow with a walkway for the hens to climb up? There's got to be something you can do. I hope you can figure something out soon. Those eggs are way too valuable!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  3:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Buy a spray bottle of bitter apple (most pet and feed stores carry it), and spray the eggs in that nest box, I have not seen a dog yet that will touch anything , once they've tasted bitter apple, non-toxic and long lasting.

I almost forgot what a friend did and it worked for her really well, she blow out several eggs (small hole on each end, break yolk with knitting needle and blow out contents), filled them with tabasco sauce, and glued a tiny piece of plastic wrap over the holes, cleaned the shells off really well and put them back in the nest boxes, worked like a charm for her, and it was foxes raiding her eggs.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

Edited by - 1badmamawolf on Mar 28 2010 3:14:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  5:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Bitter apple might work but I'm not sure about Tabasco. They like spicy stuff. I'll give it a try. I had a ceramic egg in one of the boxes and found it chomped to pieces on the front lawn! Stupid dogs!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  8:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good luck getting them to stop stealing eggs, Julie! But I bet their coats look amazing!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  05:01:38 AM  Show Profile
An expensive solution is to buy 3 remote controlled shock collars. You'd have to watch and shock them when they approach the forbidden area.

Our dogs frequently get in trouble. They know they're not supposed to go near the nest boxes. As soon as I go inside the house, they wait a minute and then head right back.

It is so frustrating. I hope it gets better for you and the rest of the farmgirls.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  07:36:34 AM  Show Profile
We have shock collars but since I work during the day - this is when they are getting the eggs. I'm not there to see them taking them. I collect them as soon as I get home (the ones that are left anyway!) So using the collars wouldnt work in this situation. But thanks for the suggestion!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile
How about attaching a couple of small mouse traps to the outside of the box and one or two against the wall that the box is attached to. Once they set a couple off and get pinched maybe they will decide that it is not fun anymore. It's cheap and mouse trap noise is something that most dogs hate and you don't need to be home either. I think 4-5 traps carefully placed should do it. It's worth a try.

Another thing is to place a couple of eggs in the box, say on a Saturday, and put quite a bit of hot sauce on them. The idea with both methods is to make it unpleasant.

Good Luck

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  04:54:10 AM  Show Profile
I like the mousetrap idea, Tina!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  07:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Wouldnt the chicken get hurt by the mousetrap?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My dogs are stealing eggs! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page