Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Natural Goat Care Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, I just wanted to share with you all some herbal and natural goat care products from Pat Colebys book "Natural goat care". I spent a good half of the morning typing this and have many more things to share so I will do it this weekend and post. I hope you enjoy!! Sorry it is rather long. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Aloe Vera
This is a plant of the cactus family that grows naturally in parts of Australia and the United States. Those lucky enough to have the actual plant often use the leaves directly, otherwise it is obtainable in liquid, ointment or gel form, Care should always be taken with any creams and mixtures from plant or other sources, always checking to see that they have not been scented or added to ---the original Is always best. Aloe Vera can be feed or used externally, I tried the latter on a badly ulcerated wound I had in a buck goat that I bought with sever foot rot. The feet were easy enough to deal with, but the ulcer which was near the hock was of a long-standing and very obstinate nature. After trying anything and everything without success, the aloe Vera effected healing in three days.

Apple Cider Vinegar
This simple and easily obtainable liquid is invaluable anywhere potassium is often found in short supply. It contains natural potassium in a safe form. It should always be bought in bulk and unpasteurized. Nowadays the demand is such that nearly all fodder stores sell unpasteurized cider vinegar in bulk and is often grown wit Hough chemicals as well. The pasteurized variety is not popular with animals, nor is it so effective.
Feeding quantities of apples as suck can lead to digestive problems in any stock, but they will tolerate cider vinegar in large amounts and it is wholly beneficial -- a quickly assimilated source of potassium as well as other trace minerals. When I first read one of Dr. Jarvis’ many books on cider vinegar, I did as he instructed and left a container for the animals to help themselves. It may have worked in Maine where the deficiencies were not so great, but I could not afford to continue it ad lib in Australia.
Cider Vinegar maintains the correct pH in the body, which is probably one of the reasons it is so useful.
Because of its potassium content, it is invaluable for all animals coming up to breeding. Potassium deficiencies cause blood vessel constriction, affecting the extremities and it seems the cervix and uterus in the final stages of pregnancy: dystokia is the result. I first used cider vinegar on my milking goats herd after a season of very difficult births. The next year I was amazed at the difference, even the largest kids from maiden does arrived relatively easily and in very good health. Many stock owners and humans mothers have observed similar effects. Cider vinegar helps prevent bruising and assists the tissues to recover from exertion. Given regularly to stud males, it will helps prevent urinary calculi and this is especially useful if your male stock is limited to hard water-- as is the case on many properties in Australia. Cider Vinegar added to feed twice a week would be sufficient to stop stones un the urethra or kidneys and prevention is certainly better than cure for this dangerous condition. A dessert-spoon twice a week would be enough for most animals. It can also be used as a mild cure for skin conditions like ringworm when it is too close to the eyes to use a copper wash; rubbing it in well two or three times a day for a couple of days is usually enough.

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  06:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks!! I love learning about natural care/remedies.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are most welcome Catherine!! I am glad I could share with you all!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Natural Goat Care Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page