Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Help making cloth diapers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help making cloth diapers Next Topic  

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:00:16 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to figure out how to make some diapers for my niece. The problem is that I can not find out what cloth to use for "soaker pieces." Does anyone have a pattern that they would like to get rid of?

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:13:17 PM  Show Profile
I would look for a pattern on Etsy, or google for a free one.
There are tons of free patterns online for making soakers out of felted wool sweaters. Or did you mean a kind of fabric to put in the middle of a cloth diaper to soak up extra pee?
For that, I might try old towels if they are to be layered inside other fabric and not seen. I got a pattern from sewfairynice on Etsy, but have not tried it yet. I want to make a few diapers to add to what is being sent form the Farmgirls for Haiti. The seller made the pattern a long while ago, and she said to use towels for the terry cloth hidden layer.
Also, the website www.borntolove.com MIGHT have a free diaper pattern. The do for sure have a free soaker pattern.
I bet there are other Farmgirls out there with even better information to share!
~Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile
MaryLD thanks for the info. Are you planning to use towels or the felted wool in your soaker sites?
Go to Top of Page

tweedlebee
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Samantha
Spokane Valley wa
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:35:57 PM  Show Profile
I sell and make cloth diapers. The best material to use for cloth diaper soakers is birdseye, terry cloth (old towels), bamboo fleece, old tees, or anything that is 100% cotton. This is a good basic free one size diaper pattern:

http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/

For covers the best to use is old wool sweaters that have been felted that you can make into pants or shorties, or you can use fleece too. The pattern that I personally use is:
http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=92348&vid=752

but you'd need a snap press.

I haven't tried any of these patterns but I think they would all work well:
http://hyenacart.com/FernandFaerie/index.php?c=10

Hope that helps a little.

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  7:56:17 PM  Show Profile
I am going to use the old towels in the diapers. I might later make felted wool covers for another purpose, but we are not asked to bring covers to Haiti, only dipaers and pins! I have the Fern and Faerie patterns somewhere , too, that Samantha mentioned in her very helpful post.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help making cloth diapers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page