Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 A couple more chicken questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A couple more chicken questions Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  10:58:33 AM  Show Profile
1. Those of you with chickens, what are you using for bedding? We are currently using woodchips and they are driving me nuts. Brownie is tossing them everywhere and even though we have elevated the water and food, they are constantly filled with woodchips. Other suggestions?

2. We got the hens on Sunday. A couple are older, four are 7 months old and just started laying. We got five eggs the first couple days they were here, now nothing since Wednesday night. I'm assuming they have to get used to their new surroundings, so I shouldn't worry about it, right? When *should* I be concerned? (All y'all are laughing now at the girl who runs out there and finds eggs and thinks its like Christmas! Or wait...that would be Easter...I guess.)

3. We open the door for the chickens to go out in the yard at about 7 in the morning. BUT we don't even see them outside rootin' around until at least 3 in the afternoon. Its been like this everyday since we got them. What's up with that? Any ideas?

Thanks again, ladies!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:27:52 AM  Show Profile
hi amy, sounds like your shavings are too thick. they only need enough to keep things dry. i use de and clay in my nest boxes to help with moisture. i sprinkle it on the shavings. if you can get cedar shavings or essential oil of cedar you can deter bugs and mites. i only use a small amount of the cedar shavings mixed in with the cheaper. saves a little money. i also use a wet dry shop vac to clean my nest boxes. then i dump the weed free stuff in a can to decompose. i bet they are just adjusting like you said. are you feeding 16 percent protein? needed for eggs. if they are locked in at night, you can wait till later in day to let out. then the eggs are in the nest box not out in the yard.they must love the hen house. how fun it truly is. one of Gods miracles for sure. i still get excited gathering them.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:37:51 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I saw the waterer on the floor in the picture and thought that won't last long there! I keep water outside for mine. They are free range so I really don't have a problem with the water. The feeder though, I hang from the ceiling so they don't get stuff in it. As far as eggs, mine don't lay every single day and they get laying mash. I do go on egg hunts but I pretty much know all their hiding spots now. About 6 of them are actually laying in the nester that's in the goat barn that's raised up. How nice is that? I don't have to bend over or get a rake. I like that. I wonder how long thie will last.

Don't worry. They will all get used to being there and start back laying. They sound like nice healthy chickens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:57:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for the information. When we were looking at feeders and waterers, we looked at each other and said "What's with all the hanging feeders?" Now we know!!

Its a fun thing to learn about, and extra nice when you have people who can answer your questions without making you feel like an idiot!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  6:50:10 PM  Show Profile
I use straw, hay or shavings for bedding. Whatever I have at the time. I have my waterer up on cement blocks, to TRY to keep it clean. I do have hanging feeders.
My hens have a fenced in yard to go into during the day, and then a bit before dark, I let them out into the actual yard. If I let them out any earlier, they would have everything ripped up. They can work up a flower bed or strawberry bed in no time! :) Then once they are all back inside, I lock them up tight. Too many critters would like the kill them, if they could. Racoons, skunks, minks.
Good luck with your chickens
Michele
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile
When I first got my chickens they were about 4 months old. They stayed in the coop most of the day - only coming out in late afternoon. I cant remember how long they did this but it seemed like forever. I wouldnt worry about it! They will figure it out!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  05:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
Hi...I have four laying hens and I use hay instead of chips..easier to remove and clean up also don't need to use as much. It will take about a week or so for them to get comfortable and feel secure in their new home, the fact that they are taking their time is actually good because that means they will probably lay inside daily before noon and before heading out for the day. This is a good thing. I have the same issue with water getting dirty.. I just clean it out .. until I figure out another solution..
Hooray for Easter Eggs ! Christmas Eggs ! Everyday Eggs !! That joy to go out and get the eggs never goes away ... at least not for me ! Have fun ! There is nothing like having fresh eggs for breakfast, no comparison with store bought!!!!

Be a blessing and have a Happy Spring
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  2:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
i use hay for mine, plus i dont have my water tank close to the hay...lol. We actually bought a hog waterer, it is a horse tank with a hole in the front for short things to drink out of. It holds 200 gallons so there is always water. We dont keep our water or feed close to the roosts or nest boxes.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A couple more chicken questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page