kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:07:39 PM  Show Profile
I am so sad. I noticed a few weeks ago one of my Buffs was going broody. I would have to chase her off an empty nest every day. I finally decided a few days ago to go ahead and put 6 eggs under her. Well, today I was walking down to get the mail and noticed a hen in the middle stall sitting on some loose hay. I went to go see if it was the broody hen. I went in and saw feathers all over and all the eggs were broken. I thought the hen I saw was that hen. I counted them all tonight when I was feeding them and there were only 11 Buff hens. So something got her. It's so sad. I am now down to just 11 of the Buffs. I started last spring with 16. Poor thing. It's just awful for a broody hen because they will not leave the eggs in the nest and end up being killed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that, Kristin. I have always dreamed of having chickens, but am afraid I would get too attached, and we have so much wildlife here that would get them.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  8:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about the hen, Kris. :( It's amazing what those hens will do for their babies.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  9:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so sad Kris. I hate it when any animal dies.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  06:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, this morning I counted all 12 hens! So apparently she baled the ship. Good for her. I am so happy to see all 12. I counted several times to make sure. I thought I had counted 12 at one time last night. I guess I did. But you know how fast chickens can move especially when food is involved. They are like magic. So I'm glad she's ok. I really don't see a hen that looks like she has lost about half her feathers though. But Buffs are really fluffy birds.

Thanks for all the well wishes, girls. I am ok with losing the eggs. I was wishing I had not put them under her after I had done it. I really don't want any more right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, you should go ahead and get some anyway. They are fun to have around and the eggs are great. I have lost alot over the years but you do eventually get over it and realize it's just part of the farm life.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:40:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad for the happy ending Kristin! Just sorry about the eggs.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  05:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, she's at it again. In the same place but on a different nest. As if that will confuse the horrible preditor. I am not going to put any more eggs under her. And she is not laying any while she's broody. I guess I'll just keep chasing her off the nest? How long does it take for them to stop this?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  06:03:15 AM  Show Profile
rollercoaster emotions here..... *gasp* so sorry you lost your hen .......*hooray* so glad she's back!!!

I don't know of a sure way of getting them "un-broody". I have one buff that is absolutely useless for half the year. Once she's broody I can't snap her out of it. I chase her from the nest daily. It also worries me because she stops eating and drinking while she's broody....which is normal for a hen that will sit for 23 days but not for one that just keeps sitting.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  06:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Well that's just great. Thanks for the info. Now I don't know what to do. Maybe put her in a cage for protection with a bunch of eggs and sell the chicks when they hatch. I could do that I guess. I have empty cages and water and feed jars. And she's be safe in a cage. I could move her back to the goat barn, too. I might as well put her to good use if she's not going to stop any time soon.

I know about those emotions. There's always something though around here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  07:11:51 AM  Show Profile
If you put her in the cage where she cant see the nest for a few days that should do the trick. When you let her out she will likely not be broody any more.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile
People use the term "chicken" so derogatory...if only people knew how brave they really are! I'll be happy to be called a chicken any day!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  12:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Shayna, what do you mean? I have been thinking about this since I saw it.

And I am still chasing that hen off a nest. She has moved into the cat room where I have a few nesters in there. She had taken over the favorite one where about 5 hens laid their eggs. Now I get none because of silly hen.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  07:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Broody hens would die for their young. The word chicken is used as someone being afraid, I can assure you that broody hen was No chicken..well, not in the sense most people use it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:03:11 AM  Show Profile
This hen will just not give up. I had to move her in the crate to the garage because she's stopped the rest of the hens from laying eggs in the other crate now. So I might put a few eggs under her again. She should be better protected in the garage. Then maybe I can put her and the chicks back out in the front hen house.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Poor Broody Hen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page