Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting Rid of the Carpet Next Topic  

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  2:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
This summer my husband and I will be pulling up and getting rid of the carpet in most of our house!
We have been given some suggestions about how to remove the tacking and cleaning the concrete (which of course I'm not terribly crazy about chemicals, etc.) and how to fix holes in the concrete and tile or not tile and staining and all that goes with. My first inclination is that if there is not any major problems with the concrete, I'd like to clean it up and glaze it...go with a more natural look.

Any girls out there with tips for what we will do with/to the concrete underneath?

Robin

Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  3:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I don't have any ideas but we did that a few years ago and got rid of all the carpet in out house and we put down all wood floor. :) It was intresting. lol Best of luck!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  3:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I am so jealous!! I REALLY want to get rid of the carpet in our house. Last year, we looked at doing that but it was actually cheaper to get new carpet so that is what we did!! :(

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  5:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
It's just gotten rather disgusting with the traffic over! We are thinking that with removal in our living room, where we have a vaulted ceiling, it will cut down on heat in the summer...since we reach outside temps of 100 degrees plus! This should help on our cooling bill! We hope!!!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  6:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Robin:
I can tell you, from experience, my dh and I have yanked out carpet twice. Not fun at all. I broke a rib from ripping up so hard on the carpet. I will never do that again. But, it did safe money. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  6:23:16 PM  Show Profile
This past summer, we ripped out every carpet in the house. We have a 1920's farm house, and underneath were wonderful wood floors. For the life of me I cannot figure out WHY anyone would want to cover them up..... It was hard, messy work. The dust and grime underneath was.... IK! It took me forever to rip out every little staple and tack; as well as this board with tacks in it all around the base of the walls in the room that the carpet was stuck to.
But it was worth it. SO worth it. Now we're going to sand the floors and varnish them....

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  06:46:59 AM  Show Profile
I think you'll love it! We pulled up the carpet at my mom's house and in one of the rooms we left it concrete. I did use chemicals to clean it and glaze it. The results are beautiful! There are so many products that make it look like tile or marble. It's all pretty tough, too. The glazing treatment has survived under foot traffic.

Glazing is inexpensive but time consuming. I probably could have laid tile down faster than it took to glaze. It's a 2-3 day process because of all the drying times between coats.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  09:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
Hosanna, what a treat to find those would floors! I would think it worth the rip up! Wow! It'll be hard work but perhaps a labor of love!
Catherine, we did meet with a man who does designs on concrete floor. He had pictures of some pretty cool stuff. One picture had the look of rocks. I like natural looks so this one is in the back of my mind. We haven't made up our mind what we'll do with it. We will see how the concrete looks once we get done ripping up the carpet and cleaning it. I could see the time consuming issue. Plus the way our house is laid out, we would have to do different rooms at different times in order to get from the front door to the kitchen! :~S
Thanks for the input...I SOOO appreciate it!!!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It is very worth it!!
Hugs
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  2:59:31 PM  Show Profile
I had carpet in my house for about 2 yrs, I've lived in this house for over 36 yrs now. Pulled out ALL of the carpet in every room, refinished the hardwod floors, ( have to refinish the living room & kitchen/dining area about every 5 yrs). Use thick throw rugs in the bedrooms, next to the beds (cold floors in the winter on bare feet are bad), and have not been sorry yet. The bathroom/laundry/mud room is the only room that has ceramic tile fooring. I would never go back to carpet living on my farm/ranch, its just impossible to keep clean.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile
hi there, my husband and our kids do concrete tile stone block brick you name it. i suggest you do as you planned. pull the carpet and check the finish on the floor.even dings and scratches etc. look good with the right finish. yes you will have to use something pretty strong to clean it.then you can choose a natural finish with colors. it will hold up a long time. but you will have to reseal it once in awhile. i have tile with small grout lines. my counters are granite. i love them. if you any ideas give a hollar. i am with the girls love my floors no carpet just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting Rid of the Carpet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page