Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Can this picture frame be saved???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can this picture frame be saved??? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Last week, I bought this 1969 print of a Meadowlark in a Sal. Army store in Indiana. The artist, Ray Harm, used to live in Louisville and is still popular here. But the frame is so gosh awful gloppy with gold goop. In fact, they had it in a window, and when the sun hit the gold, well, either a fire could have started, or we all could have gone blind!. It is old and wooden. But it sure doesn't work with the poor bird. Should I keep the frame? Could it be improved by painting it with something else??? What kind of picture would look okay in it? All opinions would be appreciated, for sure.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:51:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure if it would work but what about a paint stripper to take off the gold goop? The frame is pretty with the design on it do you have paint or hardware store near you that you could take it in and ask someone?

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Hey, Janice, it looks like you are a lover of frames and pictures like me. It is a wonderful find! The pic you posted is kinda' small but it looks like a real lovely frame that calls for either an older style picture or perhaps a mirror. I am afraid it is the white background that distracts from the frame so much. And as Ingrid mentioned, you could strip the frame, being careful not to damage the delicate carvings. Might be a big job.

A person will be just about as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abe Lincoln Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Oh, a detailed pic just popped up as I posted this. Love the detail, what a find!!! Can you tell I love frames like that? Ha! Good luck.

A person will be just about as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abe Lincoln Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hmm, Karen. A mirror might be just the thing for such an over the top frame! I don't think I've got the skills to strip it. As long as it doesn't get in the sunlight too much, the gold sort of tames down! LOL! And it really is in good shape - no missing pieces anywhere.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:33:33 AM  Show Profile
Janice, I would spray paint it gold or black. The scroll work in it is so pretty. Then a picture or a mirror. I had a big frame very much like that, I spray painted it black and put a mirror in.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile
or white, or if you are going to put the painting you got in it, maybe a color from the painting, very very light green.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  12:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
The bird will have to come out. But the painting it black thing has promise. And the mirror thing. I think that's the direction to go with it. Thanks, everybody! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  3:29:15 PM  Show Profile
could you burnish the gold with another color of paint?

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  5:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Be very careful, alot of old frames, the raised detail on them is actualy plaster, do not use stripper on it. I think a serene pic of an angel or cherub would look good in it thou as is.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  6:47:52 PM  Show Profile
I would separate the frame from the artwork. The naturalist art needs a frame that is not gaudy in any way. Not that the frame is bad...it just does not belong with the print.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  6:55:40 PM  Show Profile
If the frame is missing any plaster, you can get that Durham's Rock Hard putty and "sculpt" in the missing details. Just takes a bit of time and patience. I have done this several times with old frames like yours. Best of luck!

Hugs & Blessings,

Brenda

Come visit my blog at http.//www.pastblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  06:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad you said that about the plaster, Teresa. I bet you're right. I had forgotton about the detailing probably being plaster.
Brenda - No, surprisingly, no plaster seems to be missing.
Shirley Jean - you're so right about the bird not belonging in that frame. When I close my eyes after looking at it, all I can see is the huge gold frame! LOL! And I love the bird the most.
Joy - I think I'll take your and Nancy Jo's idea and paint it another color and put a mirror in it. Use it somewhere to make a big statement.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can this picture frame be saved??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page