Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Classic girls series books reprinted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Classic girls series books reprinted Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile
I just stumbled upon this website. They have re-issued some of the classic series books from the 1930s thru 1960s. A little pricey, but the books look great, with the original covers. I know I've seen people mention the Beany Malone series on MJF, and here they are. I loved the few Ginny books I had as a kid, so I'm tempted to buy myself the whole series next time I've got some money to splurge with.

Check it out, maybe they've got your old favorites.

http://www.imagecascade.com/index.html

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that Amie, I just bookmarked it. I love reading young adult books, and I love the old ones too. There are some books that I vaguely remember reading but don't remember the title or author and I think this may help, as I've been wanting to track them down again.
Does anyone know if the Malone's books are about a family that has a lot of kids but no mom? I'm very vague on details but I have been trying to dredge them out of my memory for a while now, hoping against hope that I will magically come up with them.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Mar 22 2010 08:40:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, if you've exhausted all other options, you might want to try the "Stump the Bookseller" feature at this store's website: www.loganberrybooks.com

It's not a free service, but for a small fee, they will post what you can remember about the book and see if anyone comes up with the correct title and author. (I think they must have an army of retired librarians on call!) Before you send them a request, look through the pages of solved mysteries. The book you remember might be there.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you!!!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Those are neat, I remember reading some of them. These type books have been showing up a lot at garage sales I noticed last summer. It would be fun to read them again. I bought my DH a Dragnet book from the 60's, it was so fun to read.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile
I got the 4-set Pam & Penny Howard series from them and I am very pleased. My mom gave away a bunch of books several years ago, including some original Nancy Drew books, and I have slowly but surely been trying to put them back together. This particular site has a really good selection. My next project is the Cherry Ames books. I loved those!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  5:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link. I have never seen any of these authors or books before. I will definitely look into getting some of these books.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:08:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure I am one of the few Beany Malone experts in the world! Have loved these books since mid-70's. Have them all, I think, now. Yes - 4 children, no mother, but then there is also the Melendy Family stories with 4 children and no mother - great books also, but completely different. I recommend both~
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like the Malones might be it - I am very familiar with the Melendys - I have read all those books several times and when I was in 3rd grade and thought I was going to grow up to be an actress my stage name was going to be Mona Melendy:) I love the Gone Away Lake books by Elizabeth Enright too!!
Amie - thank you so much for starting this thread
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  9:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How cool! I love young adult books. I think it's because it brings back a bit of that feeling of being a kid again and the thrill of the new adventure. I gobbled books when I was little- one year in middle school I checked out 436 books! There was one book that I read when I was kid that I have been trying to find since I was a kid. We used to own it but I think it might have gotten lost in my parent's move or maybe accidentally sold in a garage sale.

It's a book about a boy who lives in a Spanish mission at Carmel-by-the-Sea in California back in the early days. He loves horses but never has owned one and hears stories of a mysterious herd of horses up in the mountains. People have seen them but no one can get close. He travels to the mountains and finds the herd and manages to bring a filly home with him. She's beautiful and has star on her forehead and so names her "Starlight" but in Spanish.

Anyway I wish I could find the book again. I have found all my other dog and horse books from when I was a kid but still can't find my copy of that book.

Oh and I LOVE the Cherry Ames series!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Classic girls series books reprinted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page