Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What hand work do you take when you travel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What hand work do you take when you travel? Next Topic  

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile
I am flying to Sacramento in mid April and have a few more layovers than usual. I always take my crocheting and make dish rags and potholders but I want something different to do this time. What do you girls do to help pass the time when you are traveling? Thank you, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  06:23:23 AM  Show Profile
I usually bring something " mindless", meaning I don't have to think about it too terribly much in case I get tired and spaced out!! So I don't try to make socks usually, LOL!
I actually make a baby blanket that is like a giant washcloth- it is knitted on the diagonal with the increase, and it comes out lke a giant diamond. I work on those, scarves, hats, or embroidery. Embroidering tea towels can be good- lightweight, and easy to replace lost supplies unless you really, really need a certain dye lot on your thread.
MAry LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carol, first thing I do is take a good book. It's something easy to take out to pass your time. I also like to do crossword puzzles. If you quilt you could do some hand work, have all you pieces ready to go. Prayers coming your way for a safe and enjoyable trip. Be sure and let us know your home and all the fun things you did.

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  06:55:58 AM  Show Profile
I almost always have a pair of socks going and they are on circs so I don't have to worry about losing a needle on the floor of the plane (yep, it happened)sometimes I take my paper piecing.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile
How about embroidery Carol? I was just thinking about starting this up again too. Seems like you could have a fairly compact project to take with you!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
umm, I was going to say Crocheting but you already bring that. How about Cross stiching?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:10:22 AM  Show Profile
I always bring my vintage needlepoint---I think it was meant to be a piano stool cover-all in red,black and yellow wool--- when I do my summer soap shows...I have been working on it for almost 5 years now! I just never take it out unless we are on the road to a show.
It's complete except for the edges.

I always get such nice compliments when a customer comes to my table! Last year at a show an elderly gentleman came up to me and said "Haven't you finished that yet?"

He was at the show the year before...

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com

Edited by - melody on Mar 22 2010 09:11:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile
I either take along some knitting or some form of quilting. It drives me nuts to just sit and do nothing.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Mar 24 2010 10:25:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile
always some knitting. I always have a pair of socks going and a dishcloth or bib too. I like to have a little embroidery project tucked in my purse in a zip bag too. AND a book..haha. Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:40:29 AM  Show Profile
I usually bring a book. I also like to crochet, as long as it is something mindless, like making a scarf or something.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  1:11:40 PM  Show Profile
These are all good ideas, I like taking the crochet because I can do that and people watch. I have been wanting to start some quilt blocks also, I might get that ready. Last time I went, the new MJB had just arrived, but I knew I couldn't wait until April 17 to read this one. I am hoping the new Jodi Picult book will be at the library right before I go. My carry on is usually full of yarn and needles, and I might down load a book on the ipod. Thank you guys!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  04:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow, isn't it amazing how similar we all are! I too take along a crochet project, embroidery or felted wool project. Can not stand sitting with nothing to do for hours at a time. . . especially when you are flying and have long layovers.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

mustardseedfarm
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Tracy
Walker MI
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Ha! I can't sit still either. I haven't flown for years so I'm not sure what you could take on a plane. When we are driving I take embroidery, crochet granny squares or take my newest passion: yoyos. I love hand-sewing although it is easy to drop a needle.

"Run through life with wild abandonment but don't carry scissors." Lady Abigail Snippenmeyer
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
It is so cool I can not set and do nothing either.. I take crochet dolly work for it doen't take up much room great gifts and mags. I run out of the mags and books before the crochet. Sometimes the book will be on a new project. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  6:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sometimes travel is the ONLY time I get to read . . so I pack up my books and magazines and read.
Also, take embroidery . . . and note/letter writing!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile
I envy all of you... I can't do anything while traveling... motion sickness! BEH!
The best I am able to do anything is while I am at an airport for a lay-over.

Enjoy the trip!!!!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  09:45:37 AM  Show Profile
I always have a book with me, and/or a logic puzzle or sudoko book, cause sometimes my creative spirit just needs a break (since I "do" creative every day!). I always have a tiny sketch pad in my purse to jot down new ideas of things I want to make, especially jewelry designs, as new ideas creep up on you everywhere!...and sometimes it's just fun to sketch things that catch your eye... I switch off from different craft projects which I take along depending on my mood, sometimes knitting, sometimes yo-yo's, sometimes tatting, sometimes even my jewelry stuff (home-made poly-clay pendants/wire/beads/etc.) to assemble necklaces (I can fit most of my supplies neatly into a vintage hard sided toiletry suitcase).... oh and I have also taken quilting gear too! Whatever you take I hope you have a safe and fun trip!

www.createmyworld.etsy.com
http://createmyworlddesigns.blogspot.com/
http://www.soopsee.com/profile/createmyworld/

"He who works with his hands is a laborer, he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who works with his hands, head and heart is an artist." -St. Francis of Asisi
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What hand work do you take when you travel? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page