prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:35:39 PM  Show Profile
when there are warm, sunny days in between those spring snowfalls when it seems like everyone in the neighborhood (or in my case, the whole town) wants to be outside? I love it when I'm outside working with DH and you can hear all the neighbors outside working on something, too. It's like you're all in it together. Getting out there trying to finish up some project before the next bout of cold weather. Have to take advantage of the sunshine!

DH likes to think our neighbors challenge each other in the spring in summer, especially when it comes to mowing the yard. "Well, so-and-so is out mowing their yard... I guess I better get out there and do the same." Like everyone is motivating each other to do yardwork without even knowing they are motivating each other!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile
You should have seen all the people at the garden center yesterday. They had wagons full of flowers and plants and bushes. It was like they had all waken up from the dead to come outside and play. I went to get some pea seeds. But today it's done nothin' but rain. We are flooded again. But the good thing about this is everything is amazingly GREEN! And getting greener by the minute. I can almost see it happen. Every time I look out the window it looks greener. And the grass I can almost see growing too. It's amazing.

When we lived in town we had some neighbors we would have competitions with. We never actually said it but every time we'd see each other plant something or do something in the yard we'd have to go get something for our yard too. It was so fun. We had a good time. And it looked good too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  8:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes! I love that feeling! And I know it is silly, but I love the sound of lawn mowers in spring/summer. I guess that is a sound that was always going somewhere in the background soundtrack of my very happy childhood. In my mind, lawnmowers remind me of lazy summer days, hard work for some spending money and most of all- not being in school or at work!

I know that is the neighbors are out working on their yard I want to be out working on mine! I don't want our house to be the "poor cousin" on the block!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

spaciousplace
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Mary
Blue Bell PA
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  10:07:22 PM  Show Profile
I am with you ladies! Call me crazy, but one of my favorite things is sleeping with the windows open, and then waking up to the sound of my neighbor mowing their lawn. I don't care what time they are doing it, it reminds me that Spring is here!

Mary :)

Farmgirl Sister #378

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  05:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Don't you just love the smell of cut grass!!!! Even dirt!!! Thought there for a few days we were going to see all the neighbors out working, but yesterday we ended up with 7-8" of snow. But it is suppose to get warmer today, and it will soon be gone. Yesterday morning out my kitchen window the robins were sitting on the birdhouses. Couldn't get out there to fill them but spread feed on the patio and they were HAPPY! They have gotten so use to us, that we can go out and sit and visit and they stay right where they are. I love watching the birds.

Such Blessings,Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  06:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Im right there with you all. I went to the garden center this weekend too and boy folks were really buying flowers and shrubs! I bought me some flowers for my new flower bed. It is so much fun to play in the dirt. Feeding the birdies is fun too but getting expensive cause they sure eat alot! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  6:34:53 PM  Show Profile
yes, mowers and tractors and sprinklers are all the sounds of spring and summer! I loved them as a kid, too! And that first time you are able to open your windows and let the cool breeze blow through the house and sleep with them open and fall asleep to summer sounds... *sigh* it's the best. And to wake up to the birds chattering outside...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  6:51:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree. I am so happy just to *see* our grass! We've had alot of ice and snow. Everyone was out and about this weekend - and in shorts and skirts! So happy. Now it is rainy again, but that's okay, 'cause I know my daffodils need the rain since they are poking their little heads out of the ground!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I bought two three dollar rose bushes in Big Lot's last Saturday. The new growth is so pale and scraggly! LOL! But I'm ready to plant and I know I can nurse them back to health. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Don't you just love.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page