Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 YOU'RE FIRED! It doesn't only happen on TV!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic YOU'RE FIRED! It doesn't only happen on TV! Next Topic  

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Well girls, my first attempt at being a farmer didn't go so well. After less than three weeks of being a farm intern, I was let go from my job. It came as quite a shock. I had to take the day off because I was performing in a show choir in the afternoon, so I sent my boss an email a few days in advance telling him I wouldn't be in to work. We usually communicate through email so I didn't think it would be a problem, but it was, and a big one at that! He had also told all the interns that we were ahead of schedule and that it would be ok to take time off in the coming weeks. I'm still stunned and don't know what to think! I recieved an email a few hours ago saying that I apparently do not think highly of my employment at the farm and to not bother coming back. I'm quite upset because of it, but think it might be for the better. There were times at work my boss made me feel like dirt, like I wasn't capable of doing anything right, and now this happens. But I believe that everything happens for a reason, so hopefully better things are on the way.

Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  10:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you are right.. If the boss had a way of degrading you, rather than talking to you. Then that may not have been the best/healthiest enviornment in the world. And certainly not the only place you can be a farm intern.
Some motherly advice, talking to a person face to face is the best. I love email, and use it regularly, but would advise talking face to face for things like this. Just use what you have learned from the situation and go on.. Things like this, make better people out of us.

Take care,

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  03:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I'm sorry Laura, it sounds like it might be for the best if he was talking down to you anyway. Talking is usually better than email, but if that's the "norm", I don't see why it was such an issue. If you emailed him a couple of days ahead, and he had problems with you not being there, he should've said something or emailed back sooner. Oh well, let it be water under the bridge and go on...there are other farms out there who would probably be lucky to have you, and you could easily find one where you have a much better "fit"!

((((HUGS)))) it's still hard though!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  04:42:09 AM  Show Profile
I have to throw this in. Some people confuse the term 'intern' with 'slave.' Many interns aren't allowed to have an outside life. If you try to have one, then you're not 'putting the farm first.'

I understand that being able to count on certain jobs being done is part of farming. That the work is relentless, and takes no holidays. But geez, it sounds like they either want a slave, or something else was going on. And some farms are known for extreme turnover.

Sorry that happened. It might not have anything to do with you.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  05:38:41 AM  Show Profile
I think a phone call or face to face conversation about the dismissal would have been more professional. His firing you by email was cowardly. Just my opinion.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  07:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Laura, if your boss is like that then you don't want to be there. You can do better. Everyone has to start somewhere, your boss did too but seems he/she forgot that. I volunteer at an herb farm, some days I cant make it, I always call but last week I had myself in 3 places at once, I didnt make it & I havent heard back yet. I work hard when Im there & love it, she has no set schedule but....... you do what you can.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  07:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Laura -- I'm so sorry about your job. Please try not to take it personally. Sounds like your boss is not a very nice person and I'm sure you're not the first that this has happened to. Being an intern is one thing but I agree with Mary Ann -- sounds like they wanted slaves. God will provide just the right place for you to intern. Somewhere with nice people to work for!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
New Product -- Soap Souffle

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Laura - I don't know the specifics, of course, but it sounds to me like a case of a better opportunity making a place for itself in your life! Keep your "feelers" up, and I just know a great thing will come around for you!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laura:

Just hold your head up high and file this experience away in your own file of "how not to treat the workers". I would not let this upset you at all. In fact, I would try to get an internship at this guy's competition. You can always intern at a smaller place where you might learn alot more as well! Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a little pond. Good Luck!

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  4:14:03 PM  Show Profile
I would try to find another farm to work for, a small one might give you a better learning experience. We had a student who worked for us and 2 other farms . She got a wide range of experience and we got an excellent worker. She was the one who approached us with the idea of working for us and tring to find other farms to work part time . She knew that there were only small organic farms in the area and we not be able to use a full time worker. This gave her three very different jobs that were not boring or so repetitive. We learned alot from her and were able to trust her with any task- even babysitting!
The farm you worked for sounded like they wanted just hire help and not a chance to teach the next generation farming! Our worker found us because of the farm tour we gave. Most farms that have tours do it because they want to teach / and have a passion for what they do.
Seek out farms that may be like this and be willing to take more than one part time position and you may find a wonderful internship.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  6:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Laura, I know exactly what you're going through! (If this makes no sense, read my thread "I don't know how to say this but . . .")

Please feel free to email me anytime. I'll be thinking of you!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  9:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much everyone! I'm not going to let it get me down. I guess I just didn't think to call since we had always emailed. My interview was set up by email, the shedule was sent by email, he notified us of days he was sick and couldn't come in by email, and I had notified him of days I had to leave early by email. He never specified to any of us to do otherwise. I also understand that we have to get things done in a timely manner, but he had also said that he really didn't need all of us and that it would be ok to take days off. I thought it was very rude how it was worded, too. Don't bother coming back. I guess having to work with and/or for people like that is a part of growing up and I know that if I ever have people working for me, I will treat them with respect. On a positive note, I already have another job lined up at the Girl Scout camp I worked for last summer. Thank you for all your support and advice! I appreciate it so much!

Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2006 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Laura, I am so sorry to hear about this. I know you were so excited about this job! But if he is going to be dumb about it then it is his loss. I know how it is to be treated like this from a boss (I recently quit my second job). Thank God for summer camps for both of us! Cant wait to see you at our little Illinois Farmgirl weekend!
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Nicole! What kind of camp do you work at? I'm really excited to be going back to camp! Not the best paying job in the world, but it's something I enjoy and something that makes, however small, a difference.

Much love,
Butterfly (my camp name! Oh how I've missed it!)

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic YOU'RE FIRED! It doesn't only happen on TV! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page