Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Welcome to farm life!!!! Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
When I first married my hubby, who grew up on a farm, we stayed at his parent's place for a time. I grew up in the suburbs.

I happily dove into farm life. Until I found banana spiders in the cucumbers. Yuck.

Well, I planted bunches of cucumbers so I could make tons of pickles. I was so sick of cucumber that I got mad and went out to tear the plants out so I didn't get anymore cucumbers. George laughs to this day about me trying to tear out the plants and using a stick to pull the runners. That didn't stop the production of cucumbers!!!! He still laughs about my stirring the plants like a witch and her brew. Needless to say, I was up to my eyes in cucumbers.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Too funny Amy.
3 years ago I had a bumper crop of zucchini, they were really getting the best of me despite my only serving zucchini for dinner (different recipes of course) for about two weeks. Finally I went and cut all the big ones and brought them inside - I ended up making 49 pints of zucchini relish, which is way too much for one family to use in a year, or 3. Went back out to the garden and found I had left three out there, they went in the compost. I still plant zucchini every year though.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  2:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
LOL!!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile
How funny? I'm like that with pears from my pear tree. Here in our town we can swap with neighbors by asking around at church and the stockyard. I got turnips for my extra eggs just this week.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  4:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Amy, I have been there! Many times. I get so sick of green beans that by the time Sept. rolls around I am ready to plow them all under. For some reason green beans do really well here for me. I am constantly picking them. Thank goodness I have customers who love green beans. But I get sick of them after so long.

Michelle, I LOVE pears! I planted 3 trees 3 years ago. Last year there were a few. I hope I have tons this year. I can't seem to find them anywhere. So I would love to swap something for pears if we lived closer. That's a great idea.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  5:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I have done that to only with yellow squash. But I found out all my neibors will take and all my run over crops that I do not can or freeze. That was sure good news to me. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  7:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Hubbard Squash was my nemesis. Two hills and I ended up with a pickup box full of squash - albeit a compact pickup. I am forever emotionally scarred! I love squash, but a hubbard squash will never take root in my garden again!

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Kris you live in GA and I live in MS. I can actually send you some! When the time comes I'll get your address! I don't mean to sound stupid but what is hubbard squash? I also found out that local food banks will take your extras!

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Welcome to farm life!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page