bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  9:00:46 PM  Show Profile
We're leaving this Sunday for a week in Tennessee. Neither my husband nor I have ever been there and we are just going to wander around....any good ideas on what to see I'd like to visit a civil war battle field and of course the mountains! Thanks for any ideas!

Count your blessings!

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  06:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh Debbie! You have got to come to Chattanooga then. There is Lookout Mt. with Point Park and great little museums. Also right over in Ga. is the Chickamauga Battlefield. Right near me! And the Incline and Ruby Falls. There's no way I would EVER go down in there. But I hear it's beautiful. And of course the Tn. Aquarium. Hunter Museum. So much to do in Chatt. and the surrounding areas. And it's the most beautiful place to visit. And you could come visit me! That would be the best thing to do! Anyway, I hope you come on down this way.

If you need any more info, just email me. I'd be glad to help. I hope you have a great trip where ever you go. Tn. is a beautiful state.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:41:23 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,
Thanks so much for the information. I'm going to "google" all the spots you mentioned and if I have any questions I'll send you an email! I wish we had the time to visit you but my husband has an agenda...he's looking for a place to retire to and it has to be in the sticks and possibly near Nashville where his cousins live so we are really going to be on the "roll" while there. Thanks again and I'll let you know how things go when we get back!
I'm so excited...I have never been on a vacation south before!!!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  09:32:01 AM  Show Profile
Chatttanooga is one of my favorite places. They have a dynamite riverfront area, art museum,great restaurants.
There is a fantastic independent bokstore there right near the riverfront.
And there is fantastic Lookout Mountain and Rock City for some kitschy fun.
Ooh, yeah, and Ruby Falls , too
I love that place and we go down there whenever we can get a few days away.
Have fun
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  7:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie,
I absolutely love TN. Its the perfect place for us. We have been here about two years. We are located about 45 minutes outside of Nashville (backroads the whole way)in a small town out in the country with no traffic light. Where we are is very peaceful, lots of wildlife, and most definitely the best neighbors I could ask for. Its nice being so close to Nashville; a short drive to see museums, historical siights, fabulous restaurants, and lots of country music. One of my favorite larger towns is Franklin. It has a wonderful downtown with lots of festivals and craftshows during the warmer months, shopping and dining. It seems that Tenneesee is known for its smaller, quaint towns like Leipers Fork near Franklin, and Bell Buckle near Shelbyville.
When my husband and I were trying to find our bearings around TN, we had the best time driving through all the small towns. I hope you enjoy your drive as much as we did.
(FYI)On Nashville Public Television, is a show called Tennessee Crossroads. You might be able find some of the shows online, but anyhow this show focuses on TN businesses and entrepeurers, showing lots of towns, museums etc.
Debbie, please feel free to email me if you like. The Ryman auditorium (Grand Ole Opry) is a must see, in my opinion, in downtown Nashville. Enjoy your time in TN!!!

~Kerry Anne
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  8:35:46 PM  Show Profile
I love going to the Smokey Mountains and Pigeon Ford, Dolly World, etc... It's a fun time, especially if you have children.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  8:50:29 PM  Show Profile
oh, you must make it to east Tennessee and come see the beautiful Smoky Mountains and the National Park...and of course, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville...I'm 5 miles from all of it. :0) It's a wonderful place to live!

Stephanie

Queen of Dreamsz ~ The Art of Stuff
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Mar 17 2010 8:51:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  8:59:41 PM  Show Profile
The car was serviced today, arrangements made for the pets, helped my Mom, who's 92, so I think we're ready to go!!! I received a Tennessee tourism magazine and have been studying that but all your suggestions are what have been really helpful. Thanks so much!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:21:34 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, when are ya'll leaving? I hope you have a great time. And get some good ideas for a place to move to. And drive careful out there!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  08:26:41 AM  Show Profile
We'all (just practicing the lingo!) are leaving on Sunday morning but my husband is done working this afternoon so it may be sooner. The weather around here has been really nice (for March) for the last week and today is cold and windy and snow is predicted so we are anxious!!! We are going almost straight south and one of our first stops is Parker's Crossing. We also are going to look at a cabin that's for sale just south of there and then after that it's just roaming. We have an 85th birthday party (my husband's aunt) in Nashville on the 27th. His cousin's (The Mears Brothers - have been singing in the area for years) also live there and he hasn't seen them since they were kids and a bunch of other relatives will be there so should be fun. We'll be saving Nashville for that weekend. Anyway..thanks again and I'll let you know how things go when we return.

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  09:22:03 AM  Show Profile
I love Tn. The Smoky Mts. are the best and the food there is great. They have a lot of craft shops, hiking, old farm's that you can explore and then just to see the Mtns is wonderful. You will have a great trip. The weather should be nice for you as well. Hope you have fun.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  07:42:21 AM  Show Profile
We've been in Nashville for a few days...the birthday party is this afternoon and we're going to The Hermitage this morning. Everything's gone great. Nicest people in the world!!! Beautifull scenery! We didn't hit too many tourists spots mainly just looking at the terrain! Getting homesick, tho! Dorothy was right...there's not place like home!

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  1:55:42 PM  Show Profile
I love the Smokie Mountains, too, and Sevierville, and Franklin, and Jonesboro. It is one of the most beautilf state there is. You are probably on the road now, but let us know how you liked your vacation!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tennessee Vacation Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page