Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How to build up milk supplie?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to build up milk supplie? Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My goat Sadie's milk supplie has really diminished and I was wondering how I can bring it back up again. Thank you so much!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  8:53:56 PM  Show Profile
... well, I do not know about goats but when I nursed my daughters.. and needed to build up the supply, I nursed more often, by expressing. Dunno if this works for goats too. *Shrugs*

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  9:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Channah- are you leaving the baby with Sadie now all the time? I am wondering if the time the baby spent seperated might have contributed to the decline in supply? You could try hand milking Sadie after the baby is done, but if the baby is hungry she will make Sadie produce more all on her own by sucking more.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  9:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am leaving the baby at all times. I am thinking of doing what Fias co farms does and milks in the morning but leaves enough for the baby until the mom learns how to hold some milk back for her baby. The resone I am wondering about this is I milked Sadie last night and only got a teaspoon out of her. I am wondering though if Ebony nursed when I was in the house getting stuff ready to milk. So I should milk more often and give her grain? I haven't given her much grain latley so will start now.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  9:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The more often you milk or the baby suckles the more the mother is stimulated to make milk- so yes. However you want to make sure the baby is getting enough. You could try just milking two quarters in the morning and then the other two quarters at night. Make sure to massage the udder in a downward movement.

When you milked last night did her udder feel tight and full or loose and saggy? If it was loose and saggy then she was low on milk, if she was tight and full then she wasn't letting down the milk.

And you should be providing some sort of grain- I would check with your feed supplier about one for pregnant or lactating does. I seem to remember your doe is very young still? So producing that much calcium rich milk will be hard on her without further supplementation. I know alphalfa hay is rich in vitamins and minerals so is a good choice as well. I would also make sure she has a mineral block available at all times as well.

I know you take good care of your goats so I am sure you are already doing a lot for her! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Alee!! Last night when I milked her she was loose and saggy. She is still young. She will be 1 years old on the 16th of this month. So I shall give her alfalfa and grain and milk her more often. Thank you again so much Alee!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  7:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is she doing today, Channah? Did you notice any pick up in milk production yet? Sometimes it can take a week or so but sometimes you can see an increase right away.
Here is some reference material about feeds:
http://bedford.extension.psu.edu/agriculture/goat/Feed%20Pregnant%20Doe.htm

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Still the same. I think it will take a week but that is fine. I just hope I didn't wait too long to start milking her. Thanks so much for your help! I will keep you updated!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  8:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Channah- How are you doing with milking her? Are you milking twice a day? Has her supply built up any more? Wish I lived closer so I could pop on by!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  9:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
She is doing much better Alee!! I am only milking her once a day because of the baby. but everything is going well!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  9:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How much milk are you getting per milking?

So glad that her milk is increasing for you! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  9:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
About a cup or so. It is slowly getting better! I have missed a few days of milking do to illness but am getting back on track. I think Ebony enjoyed having all that milk to her self. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Channah, you also have to remember that a first freshener and a Nubian, will not give you much milk right now. I think you may be expecting her to be giving a gallon a day right off but that will not happen. My Nubian, Sandy, will be 4 in April and she only gives about maybe 3/4 of a gallon and that's right at first. And twice a day milking. Then she slows down. She has really good milk but just not near as much as my Lamancha does. So keep that in mind. Until you wean Ebony you will probably not get all you want. But when she is weaned, watch out! And as long as you are giving her a high percent protein she should be giving lots of goos rich milk.

I am milking my 2 does that just freshened this week twice a day already. Just to help them out. They are huge. And with Abby only having a single, he tends to just nurse mostly on one side. So if I didn't milk her she would get mastitis. And even Faith with twins I am milking her twice a day also. Those kids cannot possibly get all her milk right now. But as they grow they will be draining her more. But right now the chickens, cats and dogs are very happy with it.

Channah, that will also help get her in the twice a day milking routine. Since she's never been milked this will help her and you both. Just remember to always milk the same times every day. And only feed her now in the stanchion at milking time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  9:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
thank you Kris for the reminder!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

WendyDeLaTorre
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

WENDY
Shiocton WI
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see WendyDeLaTorre's MSN Messenger address
I give mine a scoop of grain twice a day while I am milking them and hay & fresh water available to them at all times.
God Bless
Wendy
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Wendy! That is what I have been doing for a long time. :) :)
I have been milking her and I am getting about a cup at each milking. Way better than a teaspoon if you ask me. Thank you all so much for you help!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to build up milk supplie? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page