MTNSunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sunny
Tollhouse CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  12:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Rose have you tried a antique store? That's where I get most of my glass items or the goodwill. Sometimes I hit the jackpot at a yard sale but not always. ;o) happy hunting.

Proud FarmGirl #914 ;o)
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  4:00:29 PM  Show Profile
During the day when I am in the living room I do not turn on the lights until around 4 pm. The windows bring enough sunlight that I can see until the sun starts to disappear. I can even usually read a book by just the sunlight. During that time if I am not in any other room there are no lights on in the house.
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:08:57 PM  Show Profile
So nice to read all the ways we are all trying to live lighter on the planet! We do the usual--recycling, cloth napkins and grocery bags, clean everything with baking soda and vinegar, etc.

In addition, the hubster's big ole pickup truck is fueled by 100% used vegetable oil. Since he drives it to work AND it's used for all manner of farm hauling, this is a big deal for making our lives more eco friendly. We're installing a solar panel on my studio to run the lights and the refrigerator (it's a wee refrigerator). And we're both studying more sustainable ways to grow food and heal the land we live on--utilizing methods from permaculture and organic gardening, learning about building soil, etc. We heat with wood as well--mostly we find wood that's been taken down at construction sites, or scrap lumber from a custom milling operation near here. We use no-till growing methods, and build everything we can with reused, salvaged materials. We keep our chickens in "chicken tractors" so that they are healthier, use less food, and spread their rich little fertilizer pellets all over the ground instead of having them piled up until they are yucky, toxic, and problematic. We also preserve as much food as we can. We also use herbal remedies as often as possible to treat minor illnesses, etc. We try to cook from whole foods almost all the time. And of course, trying to limit electricity use always makes sense. I'm still working on being more conscientious about that!!!

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  2:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Trying also to do most of what has been mentioned. Hoping to also, little by little add glass jars for storing things. I found a great health food store where I live and I can buy what is needed there from their bulk bins, pasta, beans, flour, sugars, baking mix, etc and it is all organic as well. Can buy what is needed without the waste and the pkg to throw away. If I can find some 'flour sacks' and remake some into smaller bags, that could be used to measure out my purchases.

Also, use green cleaners. Will check out that site, as I would love to make my own.

Have a great afternoon!

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  9:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow a lot of great things you all do...I grew up in Oregon back in the 1970's when they were the 1st State to re-cycle so I learned in my teens how important it was. I go to thrift shops or make my own clothes...old worn out clothes & re-make into something else or use as rags for cleaning up in the shop, hen house ect. I shred all my unwanted mail & put it either in the compost or in the gardens...I put plastic peanuts in bags & use those bags as insulation in places like the hen house, shop, basement, I also use them in flower pots. I use my paper feed bags to put my recycling in for the trash man. I use bubble wrap in pots that are on my porch & don't get watered very often...I tend to forget them....this lets them hold the water longer & they don't die off on me. Bubble wrap is also used for small areas under the sinks ect as extra insulation. I use my dishwashing rinse water after the dishes are done to water indoor plants & to refill the pot on the woodstove. I make my own cleaning supplies & powdered laundry soap.
Rose the best place to find glass anythings is a thrift or second hand shop...yeah it is getting harder to find good glassware. I hat to say I have plastic in the house but hubby breaks glasses....but I do recycle them when the time comes...its amazing what you can use a plastic glass or dish for around the house, yard & so on....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Green Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page