Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How did you get started on milking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How did you get started on milking Next Topic  

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading all the topics on goats and cows. How did you get started milking and how long have you milked. Did you just jump in and do it. I want to but I am scared I will do something wrong?

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Victoria,
How small or large of an operation do you want? What do you want to do with the milk? I thought I wanted a cow or a nanny goat to have the milk, but it was going to be too much to handle for me right now. Besides, I didn't have the first clue about it either. I was lucky enough to find a farmer with a small dairy herd. He has a modern diary with a double-6 milk parlor. I help him out when I have a chance and am learning how to be around the cows and what mastitis looks like, etc. I also get to help feed the calves. I don't get paid, but I get lets of hands-on experience. Is there anyone you could "help out" or mentor from?

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile
I saw this earlier and have been trying to think why or how I got started. I think a friend of mine kept telling me I needed to be milking the 2 goats I had at the time. So I finally tried it. We liked the milk. So my friend's DD was in 4H and her leader is a vet who also raises Lamancha dairy goats. I went with her one day and fell in love with a goat named Abby. Mt DD's name is Abby so that kind of sealed the deal. I have had her 4 years now. She has a great udder and is very easy to milk. SO I wanted more and was up to 6. I sold 2 of them last year. It was either goats or a cow and I chose the goats. I love my goats. I will be back to twice a day milking in a few weeks. I am so excited to be back in the milk. It's very addictive. The goats are. And the milking. It gets in the blood. I feel lost when I am not doing the routine.

I hope you will try it. You should probably start out with an older doe that's experienced. And ya need to get 2 goats. Maybe a doe and a wether for company. Or if you'd rather have a cow you need one that's been milked a few years also. Or a calf and start together. I have a 6 1/2 month old heifer calf I am training now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  8:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Victoria, Here is a really, really good book that shows you step by step how to milk a goat. Its called 'Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats' By Jerry Belanger. It is a wonderful book to get you started! I have been milking by hand for a year or so. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  05:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Although we've always had Boers and Nubians, it's just been "for fun". For the past several years, I've been trying to turn our "hobby" farm into something more along the lines of sustaining our living. So, milking the goats became part of the plan.

It is so cathartic and addicting.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  07:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I had wanted goats for quite some time and when DH and I moved to "the country" he bought me two Boer doe babies from the lady at the feed store. They were a hoot! Named them Caramel and Mocha because of the color of their spots. Then, a guy we knew GAVE me two registered Alpine does and an Alpine buck. His plan was to breed and sell registered goats to the 4H children. Neither of us realized that the two does were pregnant when he gave them to me! When the first doe kidded, I had two weeks to get set up for milking and to learn how! Luckily, the doe knew more about it than I did! Anyway, I have been milking ever since and really love it. Love the milk, love the goats!!

We ended up at one point with eight goats and DH said "We need to thin the herd!" so I ended up selling the Boer goats and some of the Alpines and right now I am down to two Alpines and a Toggenburg. One of the Alpines is due any day now and the Tog is also bred.

YAY FOR GOATS!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are encouraging. Thanks Channah for the book reading. It will be another to read. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile
I started milking when i was about 5 yrs old on my parents farm, (my Mama taught me), I am still milking and I'm kicking the hell outta 53,lol. For me, its not only a way of life, it is also, so very relaxing, with my forehead up against my Molly Moo Cow, listening to her chew cud, the peace and natural beauty of it all, I close my eyes and say prayers. I will milk by hand, til my hands no longer will work, its not hard at all to learn, try to find someone close to you that will let you watch and learn, hands on.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are most welcome Victoria!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  09:32:16 AM  Show Profile
My hubby has a bad intolerance to cow's milk. Goat milk by the quart at the grocery store was $2.45 a quart. So, we talked it over, read a lot, and finally bought a registered, 18 mo. Nigerian Dwarf doe and her spring kids, a doe and a buck. I brought them home on May 5, 2008. I started milking Sienna the next week. We bred Sienna and MiHija last year, sent Bubba to the packing house, and we had only buck kids that survived. I milked MiHija for about 3 months and she dried up and I am still milking Sienna, once a day going on 9 months now. The boys went to the packing house in January. We bought a 5 yr. old register buck (Jan 26, 2010) and are expecting kids in June and July. I guess I have been milking for going on 3 years now.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  09:45:59 AM  Show Profile
I got started with my first goat about 16 years ago. A Nigerian dwarf. I thought she would be a good milker. Well, nope. I soon got a Saanen...more my style. (the NDs have tiny teats ..very hard for me to milk. VERY. HARD.) Clara the Saanen was my only milkgoat (although I had angora goats and sheep too) for a few years. When we moved to Utah, nearly 8 years ago, I sold Clara and I got an Oberhasli doe and she was my new milker for a year. I ended up adding Saanens and milked two all the time for a couple years. Then..my mom sent me the money to buy Mona, my beloved jersey milk cow. No one really taught me to milk...I just sort of figured it out myself. Easier to learn on goats for sure..size wise anyway. Cows arn't any harder to milk..just a bigger gal and more volume of milk for sure. My favorite book on milk goats is "Raising Milk Goats the modern Way" and my favorite about cows is "Keeping the Family Cow" by Joann Grohman. I think it would be great if you can find someone who milks and help them and watch their routine. More than one would be even better since everyone does it a little differently.
I can't imagine life without a dairy animal at this point. Especially with 4 teenaged eating machines at home right now. Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, yep those teats are small, I milk with my thumb and first two fingers, and the EZ-Milker(a real wrist saver). I love the taste of their milk, and because of their small size they are easy for me to handle, trim hooves, or medicate.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  1:11:28 PM  Show Profile
I learned to milk goats when I was 18, apprenticing on an organic farm.
I raised goats for 5 yrs when my son was younger, until I became a single mom and moved. A friend landed in the hosptial 7 yrs later, and asked me to go milk for her on short notice. Guess what- you don't forget how. I also got to milk a cow when waiting for a mom's labor to kick in at a homebirth several yrs back. That baby will be 7 in July.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How did you get started on milking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page