True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Girls,
I may end up buying the bakeover pan that MJ has on her site. But until I do, what pan do you all use? I have a pan that looks like hers, but I don't trust putting it in the oven at 425 degrees because of the handle.
NANCY JO

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile
MMmmmmmm....I've burned up a handle before. Not making a bake-over, but doing something else. Is your handle removable? If so, you could un-bolt or unscrew it. I did end up buying MJ's pan, and I really do like it, it's lightweight and easy to turn over.

I've also used a stainless steel wok that has a stainless steel handle on both sides. It was pretty heavy to turn, but there were no parts to melt!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  1:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I'm thinking of making some bakeovers using my iron skillet, that should work I think!

Hmmm....I may have to make something for supper tonight along those lines!!!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Looks like I will be buying the MJ pan, I do have a cast iron one, but it should be shaped more like a wok pan, my cast iron one would need a good seasoning first.
Have never tried the bakeovers, so will need to be getting that budget mix and give them a try.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  9:47:41 PM  Show Profile
I bought the MJ one awhile back and love it. I use it for lots of things in fact..just right for sauteing onions and peppers or scrambling a few eggs. I am glad I got it..I use it alot.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  03:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, and Jenny check out the clotheline book!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  2:40:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a bakeover pan (bought it a long time ago), and did not purchase the handle that is ovensafe, but I just put the pan in the oven without a handle. I use hot pad gloves to remove it, and it works just fine. It makes the best bakeovers!

Iron skillets work too!

Nancy Jo - you will love it!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Good Jeannie, because I ordered it today along with the tote bag and other stuff. Got to many good ideas from the new mazqzine!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  4:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo - I am jealous! :) I want the tote bag, too, but have to work it into my budget! It is so pretty! Let us know how you like it. The Farm is so quick about sending things, you will have it soon.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  5:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I have made the bake over using the recipe in MaryJanes book and a 8 inch cast iron pan. The only thing I would do different next time is use twice or even three times the veggies. I would heap the pan as they cook down so much. I would also add spices like garlic, parsley, rosemary or others to the crust recipe. Jaz that up too. One crust recipe would be enough for two pans as I like a thin crust. Don't forget your glove to take it out.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Okay, my budget needs to expand QUICKLY!!! I've never tried any MJF products (haven't even seen a magazine or book....just stumbled across the site somehow). I've been dreaming of them! Really! I had a dream that I was in a store somewhere (like our local Publix or something like that) and there was a HUGE display of MJF products. I just went crazy buying them!!!

Oh how I'd love to win the lottery and stock my pantry with all of that yummy healthy food!!! I'd buy the year's supply of stuff, and then head to my local farmer's market for fresh veggies!!!

"sigh".... lol

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile
I cheat. I sautee the stuff in a regular fry pan and then dump it into a pie plate. Then I top it with the crust and bake it. I don't flip it when it comes out of the oven.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  09:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes cheating can be a good thing, good idea for those that don't have the right pan. I plan on reading the mj magazine again today, got to note which things I'am going to try first when my order comes and what to buy at the grocery in the morning. Also going to try the chill over.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I weighed the options of 1. buying a new pan specifically for one dish, and 2. finding space in my cupboards for another skillet and decided it wasn't worth it. The extra dish to wash isn't such a big deal, and I fear the idea of trying to flip it. I'm just as happy serving it crust side up.
Go to Top of Page

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  3:44:05 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping someone might have the recipe for that YUMMY bakeover on pg 91. It reminds me of the Mexican Pizza I make. Is there another place where people are sharing their own bakeover recipes? I would LOVE to get some of these before baby is born! I can have the ingredients all cut up and bagged and ready to go. THANKS!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  3:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else on a low sodium diet? I need to try to make a bakeover with less sodium . . . and although the baking powder MJ uses is sodium free, apparently the baking soda is full of sodium! Any ideas about how to reduce?
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  07:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Couldn't you use your own biscuit recipe? Mine has baking powder but not baking soda.
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  1:50:55 PM  Show Profile
What do you guys put in your bakeover? I've been wanting to make
one but I don't quite know "what" to put into it?

Another thing how much does one bakeover feed? There are 6 of us.

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  3:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Allison! I'll have to hunt down a low-sodium biscuit recipe and get me some sodium-free baking powder (I think it's made by Clabber Girl). So sweet of you to respond. Now I'll have to get off my low-sodium bottom and make-a-bakeover!
Go to Top of Page

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  4:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I am curious if anyone has any ideas for toppings that are gluten free? Can I just buy a premade mix that is a quick bread and it will work? Is that all the topping is is just a quick bread/pancake mix?? How do you prepare the topping differently for the bakeover than you would for eating regularly?

OK. I am hoping to see more recipes for BakeOvers, so in hopes of that, I will post what I made for lunch that was SO YUMMY!

I am looking for a gluten-free topping, so until then all my Bakeovers are are really just baked casserole I guess LOL!

1 yellow squash, diced
2 zucchini, diced
1/2 cup corn (left over from last night)
Small onion, diced
I sauteed for a little bit, then I added lots of herbs (basil, garlic powder - I was out of garlic, etc). I added lots of Italian herbs because I was going for Italian dish. Then I added tomatoes. Now this only fed three of us (because there were only three of us for lunch instead of the normal 5). But this was SOOOOOOO GOOD!

Another idea for a bakeover I had that I plan on making soon:
Corn
Black Beans
Red bell peppers
onions
Mexican spices (like for salsa)
chili pepers
cheese, cheddar and monteray jack
and corn bread for the topping
Serve with salsa and sour cream

I would LOVE to hear more!
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile
These sound so good.

If I wanted to put a potato in it should I cook it a little
first?

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile
I'd saute the potato with onion (and carrots?)first, and when it's nearly cooked, add the other stuff. I used cooked chicken, sweet peppers, onion, minced garlic. I also used an oven proof wok-shaped no-stick pan. Her recipe for bakeover mix is in the book, and it makes enough for topping a 10 inch pan, or also makes 8 bisquits, I believe. You could use less salt. I use white wholewheat flour, which she also has in her whole wheat bakeover mix. Thyme is good with chicken. I confess, my bakeover didn't come out of the pan with the crust on top! I get a "D" for presentation. Oh, in the new magazine, those panbreads are the same basic bakeover mix, made with honey and olive oil. Those really work well for me--sort of a pizza with lots of veggies on top. Feeds four if you add a salad.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:49:01 AM  Show Profile
I made a bake over awhile ago and used ground beef with taco seasonings(Bearito brand is msg free and all natural), organic canned black beans(drained), onions that were cooked with the meat and cheddar cheese. I probably would have added green pepper too, but my husband hates them. It was really good!! I just need to get a different pan because my big cast iron skillet is very hard to work with when you have to flip it out of the pan.

Love and Blessings,

Missy

Oh, and I also made my crust using oat, rice and tapioca flour. You have to add a tsp. of xanthum gum per cup of flour used and just a small portion of the oat flour because it can be kind of heavy. We have to make wheat free because of allergies.

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  06:09:48 AM  Show Profile
I have her book but I need to get hold of one of these magazines!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic mj's bakeovers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page