Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  09:05:31 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you mamas out there heard of the book "Wild Days" about nature journaling for kids? I ordered it and just received it, and it's a great primer for helping children learn about the outdoors and nature using nature notebooks/journals.

I just love nature journaling (especally Hannah Hinchman - WOW), and this is such a great idea to start young. I just can't wait until my little guy is big enough to have fun doing this and we can, every once-in-a-while, take off for a "wild day."

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  09:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Libbie!

I'll have to check out that book -- it sounds interesting! I LOVE Hannah Hinchman! The book she has out about her life in Montana and the sketches of her dog... Her dog looks SO much like my chow mix, Pumpkin!

Thanks for the heads up! Karin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  10:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow Karin! I have been doing this with my kids forever...but never knew there was a book dedicated to the subject. "Wild Days" sounds great! I just bought blank sketchbooks for my boys. We call them our "nature journals", an idea sparked while reading about Charlotte Mason's method of educating kids. We take walks in the fields around the house, at parks, grandma's woods, or even the yard on days we need to stay close to home. You can find a lot to sketch just in your vegetable garden or even flower boxes/pots.
Another lovely idea I took from Ms.Mason was family reading. We all gather after lunch to read from a favorite book. Everyone gets comfy and the we take turns reading aloud. Those two things have been such a pleasurable part of our homeschool!
I encourage you to try both!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Sounds like a great idea! My son draws all of the time, and I'd love to have him start drawing things from nature more. My daughter is so interested in flowers and gardening right now, it sounds perfect for her!

I do like the idea of just going on family walks to do stuff like that....homeschooling definitely has it's plusses when it comes to having lots of family time! We don't get as much as I'd like to, but at least my kids go to my school, so we have pretty much all of the non-school time together.

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I am going to order that book, I have been thinking about journaling, and how we really should be doing more of it while we are out of school for the summer.
I wonder, Libbie, what is the approx. age for the book? My girls are 10,8, and 3... tell me more about it, and about the author.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  10:30:50 AM  Show Profile
The author is a woman named Karen Skidmore Rackliffe, from, of all places, Utah! She homeschools her children according to the Charlotte Mason method - I'm not all that familiar with homeschooling, but all I have read about that particular "method" has been really interesting and made a lot of sense to me. Anyway - she takes it all the way from the "scribbling" stage of ages 2-4 on up through her own adulthood. It's really interesting. It's her opinion, and it happens to be mine, too, that these "nature journals" or "discovery journals" are places not so much to perfect the skills of an artist (although you certainly can do that, too!) as to explore and learn and "digest" things about the world around you and your own inner world as well.

I've been thinking much more about journaling, too - with it being such good weather and having babes and all... I want to start one for each of my sons. For Will, I have written him a letter on each of his birthdays - not to be opened until adulthood or in the case of some situation where he needs to read them earlier - that tells him what we are doing, how much I love who he is becoming, and how my life is as his mother, and what I want him to know. I'd really like to consolidate these letters into a notebook, and since he's only 3 and the other little guy isn't here yet, I think I'll just do that!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  2:13:47 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea! Now that my kids are older, I really wish I had taken time to write more about important events in their lives...I just let myself get swept up in the "business" of the world, really it is the little things that make life so great.

I agree with that philosophy, the journaling part. I will have to get that book, sounds like it is right up my alley.
Kate
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Wild Days Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page