Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 what changes have you made........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic what changes have you made........ Next Topic  

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  09:02:26 AM  Show Profile
I am a newbie on the forums and I was wondering what changes have you made in your life and how has your thoughts changed since joining Mary Jane's Farm?

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Mostly I joined here because there were like minded sisters doing what I was already doing, and no one thought I was a freak! I have however started sewing and making some of my own clothes and other things. And i've gotten back into hand writing letters...because there are people who will actually respond to them! Joining the MJF forum has been a great addition to life...even my will testify that adding the "farmgirls" to my life has made me a little more chipper!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile
it sure is great knowing that you are all out there and so very supportive!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile
It is so wonderful being here on the forum because I can be myself. I don't think I have made too many changes but I can now just be me.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I agree with FarmMilkMama, I to joined the Sisterhood because I fit in here. . . not considered a freak because I cook from scratch, grow my own veggies and herbs, darn my socks etc. Everyone here is so supportive and offers encouragement right when you need it. No judgements based on my farm lifestyle.

The changes I have made or are in the process of making are the simple ones: reaching out to help more folks, getting involved where it truly matters and earning my merit badges in order to continue to learn new things and grow my Farmgirl Spirit!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile
I've been inspired to take my crafting up a notch. I love most of the things that everybody talks about on here, but I can't do most of them because I live in a smaller house in the city. Not the city, but a small neighborhood. I guess I wanted to be more a part of what I believe in.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  3:00:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm with everyone else - I enjoy this because I fit in here. I have been doing the homesteading thing for 30 years now and even though I live in the country it's surprising how few folks even grow a garden anymore (although the economic downturn has upped the ante on that one...) Heck, I can't even get anyone to come and pick green beans after I have all I need canned. I'm not even sure if they know what to do with a fresh bean!! A lot of people think I'm nuts to raise animals, can and knit, spin, & sew - they say why do any of it when you can just go and buy it so cheap? I love being friends with other women who know that the value isn't in the price at the store but in the quality of the product and the spirit in which it was created/grown.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  4:30:22 PM  Show Profile
I have always made things, enjoyed gardening, loved the outdoors and animals and still dream of having a horse of my own one day. What HAS changed is the extra spring in my step since discovering MJF. I just feel HAPPIER in everything I do!

The magazine, blogs, sisterhood and this forum are the piece this farmgirls heart was missing and I am so grateful for it all...
Deb~ www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

Oh, I gave 5 subscriptions for Christmas gifts everyone is in love with their MJF!

Deb~ www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile
I think I have given myself some extra motivation by being part of this forum - like sometimes I feel lazy, don't feel like cooking, then I think of all the good reasons there are to cook a homemade meal. I guess you all set the bar higher for me:) So thanks!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:31:06 AM  Show Profile
I have had part of my life's dreams come true, as we now live on a small farm with horses and other animals, and I have always created many things.. but the comaderie, the *sisterhood*, the abundance of like-minded individuals who care about the things I care about is what has been so inspiring to me, and has given me even extra confidence to try *new* things and new ways and has enriched my life :)

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:41:02 AM  Show Profile
I have always grown flowers and herbs, but since joining the forum, I realized that you CAN actually grow veges within the confines of suburban living. And my neighbors are either jealous, or are older and have lots of great advice to give from when they had gardens. It's been a nice way to check in on older neighbors by bringing baskets full of fresh harvests.

I do things a lot more simple now around my house, and I really try to find ways to "make do" or do without since joining the forum. And, even though I've always learned to cook, these last years, I've been inspired to do simple, common sense things that are both good for you (eating fresh, eating locally) but also cost effective (making chicken stock from a locally grown bird). All of it is just common sense, but we've gotten so far from our roots that it seems like novelty, now.

I've also made some changes in my own self esteem. I used to leave the creative stuff to other folks, and then I'd just buy what they make, all the while saying, "I could never do what you do..." But then, I thought, "I bet I can do that..." and while I don't sell anything I make, I knit and I sew and I'm happy with that, and people love the gifts I give them. It's an honor to have someone rave over the latest hat I've knit for Violet. And to hear my husband say, "Oh, my wife did it. She knit this hat!"

Mostly, I've learned to take life a lot slower and enjoy each day that we've been given. Joy in the little things.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic what changes have you made........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page