truebluecountrygirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
Milton Freewater Oregon
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  5:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Yummy yummy - we're having the first asparagus of the season tonight! I find that in trying to live "closer to the land" I tell the seasons by the foods - asparagus and rhubarb in the spring, tomatoes and basil and sweet corn in summer, etc....Which means the other 9 or 10 months of the year, I really miss those foods. Tomatoes and corn freeze or can well, and basil goes into pesto (YUM!) but I've never had much success with asparagus or rhubarb. I've tried canning and freezing, but it always comes out rubbery or, with rhubarb, just disintigrates. Does anyone have any tried-and-true ways to preserve these foods?

Karen

Terri
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Terri
Reardan WA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  7:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen--Did you blanch the asparagus first before freezing? The Ball Blue Book is a Godsend when I'm preserving foods. I wonder if you need to "stew" the rhubarb--cooking it with sugar some--before freezing it?? I'll look in my books and see what I can find...

Terri

...there's NEVER too many flowers!
Go to Top of Page

Terri
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Terri
Reardan WA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  8:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen, My issue of the Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning and Freezing...lists "Raw Pack Pressure Canning" as one method. Maybe canning it this way won't be as mushy as canning the Hot Pack method. If you don't know the "Raw Pack" method, reply and we can help you with it.
Terri

...there's NEVER too many flowers!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Asparagus Ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page