Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  09:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to ask if any of you all make ice cream in your freezer without a boughten ice cream maker? I don't have one but would like to make my own. I was recently reading in my Nourishing Traditions The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats book and it says about ice cream
"In the old days when ice cream was made of whole eggs, milk and sugar and laboriously cranked out in the old home freezer, a serving of ice cream was only an occasional family treat which didn't do much harm. Today in this mass producing, synthetic age, it is another matter entirely. Today you may be treating your family to poison! Ice cream manufactures are not required by law to list the additives used in the manufacturing of their product. Consequently, today most ice cream is synthetic from start to finish. Analysis has shown the following;
DIETHYLGLYCOL: A cheap chemical used as an emulsifier instead of eggs is the same chemical used in antifreeze and in paint removers.
PIPERONAL: Used in place of vanilla. This chemical is used to kill head lice.
ALDEHYDE C-17: Used to flavor cherry ice cream. It is an inflammable liquid also used in aniline dyes, plastic and rubber.
ETHYL ACETATE: Used to give ice cream a pineapple flavor-and as a cleaner for leather and textiles; its vapors have been known to cause chronic lung, liver and heart damage.
BUTYRALDEHYDE: Used in nut flavored ice cream. It is one of the ingredients of rubber cement.
AMYL ACETATE: Used for its banana flavor. It is also used as an oil paint solvent.
BENZYL ACETATE: Used for its strawberry flavor. It is a nitrate solvent."

Anyone for a banana split? All joking aside, this is totaly repulsive. Any help?

All of creation sings Your praise!

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  10:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Very scarry isn't it. My husband likes to make ice cream in the old hand crank freezer. Just cream, sugar, and fruit. (no eggs, eggs scare me in ice cream - I just think food poisoning) One thing I do if I want a creamy treat is put three cups frozen bananas, 1 cup liquid (juice or a milk) and some vanilla in my vita-mix and in one minute you have what looks and tastes like soft serve ice cream. I think any high powered blender will do. It is just not safe to go through the grocery store doors anymore. If I can't make it I don't want it anymore.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile
hi cari and jane, i make our ice cream out of our cow buttercups milk. it is a custard base. it is raw milk we milk with a stainless steel milk machine. we make our buttermilk,cheeses learning now and ice cream butter sour cream. i love doing it.not perfect sometimes a little grainy but my real food and fruit. i too have a vita mix love it sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  12:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cari! I have a fantastic antique icecream maker I picked up at a flea market in Wyoming for about $25. :) I make ice cream every year with fresh eggs, raw milk, powdered sugar and real vanilla. It is Fantastic!!! We only have it a couple times during the summer and everyone takes a turn cranking the ice cream freezer.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:35:46 PM  Show Profile
It is disgusting how much pure chemical crap (that is what it is!) in our food. We can't even walk through the produce aisle without reading that some sort of chemical was sprayed on the food to make it good. As for the homemade ice cream, I can't help with anything about making it, but it is good!
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It is gross. I make a really good raw ice cream. What you do is you take a frozen banana, some raw handmade almond milk, a little bit of vanilla bean and put all those ingredients in the blender and blend together. Ladies I am telling you this taste just like regular ice cream! You could even add some berries to make a berry ice cream or chocolate or anything you would like. It is truly wonderful and way healither. You can eat as much as you would like without feeling guilty. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Cari, that's when I stopped eating gallons of ice cream. I have that book. It will amke you sick to see all the junk that's put in "food" these days. I have a small ice cream maker that goes in the freezer after it turns for awhile. Good stuff. Real eggs, whole milk and real cream straight from the cow. Can't get any better than that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  5:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Nothing better than home made ice cream. I always use a cooked custard recipe. Milk, cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla. It is absolutely delicious and the grandkids get a big kick out of taking a turn at the crank. Wonderful stuff and every birthday is celebrated with home made ice cream. Not cheap any more but well worth the money.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:13:37 AM  Show Profile
i was wondering if any of you have the answer to this. my ice cream turns out great in the maker. then when it hardens in the freezer it gets ice crystals. i tried my subzero first,then i tried the house freezer same deal. maybe not enough fat? nan that is my recipe too can you give me your amounts so i can compare? all thoughts welcome. i use a canister you freeze..put mixture in...put in paddle and motor...turn on...seems great out of maker then gets crystals in freezer.sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Sherry- Make sure you are using whole milk or greater. You are always going to get some ice crystals because you aren't using chemicals in your ice cream. My solution- is eat the ice cream up faster. :)

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, the higher the water content of the milk, the more crystals you get. I use raw unpasturized milk with it's original cream. When I freeze leftoveres they come out just about as good as when the ice cream was freshly made.

Lillian is right though, you can't avoid them completely since there are no chemicals.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Some friends gave us an ice cream maker last year. We have thoroughly enjoyed making our own ice cream and sorbet. I usually just make vanilla and then add in any extras that I am in the mood for. I think we eat more ice cream now as we didn't buy it very often before!

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  06:05:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, everyone. I have some banana's in the freezer right now, I'm going to try that. It sounds good. I did have an old crank freezer at my mom's, I'll have to look and see if it's all there.

Sherrye, both of my cows are dry right now, but I can't wait for them to freshen so I have all that milk to work with!

Vegetarian Farmer, I agree about going through the grocery store doors. Just last night my dad was talking again about how the veggies are nuked. I can't remember which one specifically it is but it's equal to 150 exrays. (I think I've got that right) Wow. I think that was in the Acres Magazine. A really good mag for farm info and news. Our Tractor Supply Store carries it.

Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Would love to share my recipe with you.This is for 4 quarts of ice cream. And it stays relatively crystal free. I pack it tightly in an air tight plastic container and before sealing I put plastic wrap down tight on the surface.

2 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 cups whole milk
4 eggs beaten
4 cups whole whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla extract.

Combine sugar, flour and salt in sauce pan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Temper eggs by pouring slowly about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs, whipping with a whisk all the while. Then slowly pour the egg, hot milk mix back into the sauce pan all the while whisking briskly. (if you don't pour slowly and beat like mad, you end up with scrambled eggs.) Cook the egg milk mixture for about another minute or two to make sure the eggs are thoroughly cooked. Cool to room temp then refrigerate for at least two hours(I usually refrigerate over night). Combine whipping cream and vanilla in a large bowl and add your cooled egg/milk mixture to it whisking with your wire whisk till combined well. Freeze in your ice cream maker as directed.

You can add whatever fruit you want or chocolate chunks or nuts whatever. If you add hard chunky stuff it is better to fold it in when you first take the ice cream from the maker before you "ripen" it to eat it.

It ain't cheap but it is the best recipe I have found yet.

Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:14:12 AM  Show Profile
Oops, I didn't say to stir constantly while cooking milk, egg mixture.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:46:11 AM  Show Profile
thanks nan i will try it. yum sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I have one of the ice cream makers where you keep the bowl in the freezer and then take it out, add the ingredients and the paddle and then plug it in and let it run. It only makes a quart but that is okay, that way we don't eat so much!! :)

Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup whole milk (I use goat milk)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients, stir thoroughly to dissolve sugar. Freeze as directed for ice cream maker.

It turns out really creamy and not too many ice crystals.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Melvina
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Sue
Blue Ridge GA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  12:56:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Singing Tree Farm

I wanted to ask if any of you all make ice cream in your freezer without a boughten ice cream maker? I don't have one but would like to make my own. I was recently reading in my Nourishing Traditions The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats book and it says about ice cream
"In the old days when ice cream was made of whole eggs, milk and sugar and laboriously cranked out in the old home freezer, a serving of ice cream was only an occasional family treat which didn't do much harm. Today in this mass producing, synthetic age, it is another matter entirely. Today you may be treating your family to poison! Ice cream manufactures are not required by law to list the additives used in the manufacturing of their product. Consequently, today most ice cream is synthetic from start to finish. Analysis has shown the following;
DIETHYLGLYCOL: A cheap chemical used as an emulsifier instead of eggs is the same chemical used in antifreeze and in paint removers.
PIPERONAL: Used in place of vanilla. This chemical is used to kill head lice.
ALDEHYDE C-17: Used to flavor cherry ice cream. It is an inflammable liquid also used in aniline dyes, plastic and rubber.
ETHYL ACETATE: Used to give ice cream a pineapple flavor-and as a cleaner for leather and textiles; its vapors have been known to cause chronic lung, liver and heart damage.
BUTYRALDEHYDE: Used in nut flavored ice cream. It is one of the ingredients of rubber cement.
AMYL ACETATE: Used for its banana flavor. It is also used as an oil paint solvent.
BENZYL ACETATE: Used for its strawberry flavor. It is a nitrate solvent."

Anyone for a banana split? All joking aside, this is totaly repulsive. Any help?

Go to Top of Page

Melvina
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Sue
Blue Ridge GA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  1:02:06 PM  Show Profile
I've used such an easy recipe for over 50 years. Use 1 can sweetened condensed milk, a little vanilla, whatever fruit you choose, fill the churn container up to the line (3/4 full) with either whole milk or skim milk. Not too sweet but oh so good. Does get cystals if you put it in the freezer but that hasn't kept us from eating it!
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  3:13:05 PM  Show Profile
That is just nauseating what chemicals are in food. Thanks for posting the info and recipe. Sounds yummy:)

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sue. Another Ga. girl! We are just going to have to start a Ga. chapter now. There's another farmgirl near you. And there is starting to be quite a lot of us here.

The last time I made ice cream using fresh cow cream it turned out almost like butter. But now that my goats are back in milk I need to make the one with the goat milk. And it sounds like the right size for my little maker.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

catramsey
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Cathy
Pflugerville Texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  8:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. I grew up on homemade ice cream. Homemade banana, strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. I still make it. Put fresh strawberries and peaches on the vanilla. Nothing else better. The receipes listed here are the ones I use. My sister-in-law now cooks the egg and milk mixture so it isn't so hard on her stomach. All my siblings would get together at my parents or grandparents and everyone brought their homemade ice cream still in the freezer it was made in. We cooked out and than ate ice cream. The 20.00 electric ice cream freezer you get at wal-mart do just fine with making homemade ice cream.
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  11:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Not sure how to make it without some sort of maker???

Making Ice Cream is one of my favorite things to do for a gathering.
It is a tradition on the 4th for sure. My dad (88 soon to be 89) grew up with a blue wooden bucket handcrank. He tells the story about how they would go to the ice house in town after church and pick up ice. Wrap it in burlap and haul it home. He would sit on the steps going down to the cellar and crank away.

I had purchased a electric ice cream maker, but those plastic buckets just don't hold the cold like wood. I later found an older hand crank wooden bucket guess about 12 + years ago and that has been my maker of choice. The older man I purchase it from said they they had lots of good time making ice cream with the kids and hoped I would too. The kids have a ball and can have ice cream ready in 10-12 minutes once we start cranking(only in the wooden bucket). The key is to use plenty of rock salt. Layering salt and ice around the bucket. Cranking fast just gets you tired quick and doesn't help speed anything up as I was told by my dad many times and understood once I got older. Steady and slow. But as a kid faster seemed better.
I always get asked why the heck do you use that crank type. Why NOT. I think there is just something about the connection to my dads stories and the even the older mans memories that makes it just a little more special for me.

My recipe~ for a 1 1/2 gallon can
6 eggs
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 TB vanilla
pinch of salt
1 can of carnation milk
1 Qt half & half
Fill the can with whole milk, but leave a little head room at top.

Had read in an Amish cookbook that making the ice cream mixture ahead of time will result in a creamier result. So I mix all my ingredient except the whole milk ahead of time, usually in the morning. Keep in the fridge till ready to use.

Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  1:58:01 PM  Show Profile
If I use raw eggs, I always heat it up now. You could use pasteurized eggs if you are afraid of raw eggs. But I have never looked to see what the ingredients are.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  6:55:31 PM  Show Profile
GA. Chapter??? I agree Kristin. I am inbetween Rome and Clahoun..NWGA... I love homemade Ice Cream. I have one of those makers that you put in the freezer after it stirs awhile. But it still makes great ice cream.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  7:10:05 PM  Show Profile
I have made my own ice cream in a hand crank machine but I have my eye on a cuisinart ice cream maker that only takes thirty minutes - our local Sam's carries them.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Homemade ice cream Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page