Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Strawberry Festival/County Fair - fun but sad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Strawberry Festival/County Fair - fun but sad Next Topic  

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  4:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi sisters,

DH and I went to the Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City today. It had some fun things, but some really sad things too. I have gone with my kids and then my husband for many years. This year, I wanted to go and talk to the kids that raise the poultry for 4H to get input on my future chicken ownership. We got to see some different breeds, but sadly, no kids there to talk about their birds. I was sad to see that they moved the animal tents off to a far corner, almost like an after-thought. They used to have three tents for the animals - the bovines, the swine/goats/sheep and the poultry/rabbits with a place for "City" kids to actually touch chicks and other barnyard babies. This time, only two and the swine/goats/sheep will come in next week when the cattle leave. no barnyard babies to touch or get up close to. they made extra room for more carnival rides. It went too commercial - lost it's county fair feel.
They have some good musical artists performing. Still, too carney, less fair feeling. We did enjoy the St. Clements "Make Your Own Strawberry Shortcake" booth. I loved the kids entries in needlework and baking and got the annual cookbook - always a great buy! I did not buy any of the other stuff - too pricey. Berries are always WAY too expensive in the fairgrounds - I can get them cheaper outside the fair. There were a lot of changes and this was our last year to go as we are moving away this coming Fall - and since the changes were not for the better, I guess it is a good time to stop going...it makes me sad to lose such a great learning experience for kids - my kids (now mostly grown) loved it growing up and we had some special memories...I will miss the way it used to be,but realize it will never be that way again.

Do any of you have fairs that have changed like this?

Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  7:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Yes Kim, sadly enough I did see a fair change like that. In my hometown of Enumclaw, Wa. I can remember as a kid going to the local fair, it was only a little over a mile from our house. Mom and Dad always made a big deal of the Kiwanis BBQ, we always contributed to that as being business owners, they like to deal with other local businessmen.There were 2 huge cattle barns, 2 large horse barns, and of course poultry, rabbits, cats and dogs that the kids showed. Always the cute FFA guys hanging around, as a young Rainbow Girl we had a cotton candy booth, and I loved working in it. Sadly as the years went by the fair got smaller and smaller. Last summer I believe was the last year for it. They have turned all the buildings into an "Expo Center", for all sorts of events, from a bridal fair to horse shows, etc. I hate like everything to see old traditions die like that.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  7:55:21 PM  Show Profile
So sad the hear that. Our fair has undergone a shake-up recently with the firing of our fair manager who really understoon that without the kids and their animals, there is NOT a FAIR...carnival, yes, Fair no. It has all happened so quickly and the interim manager happens to be a real estate man who has made no secret about how valuable the land is that the fair grounds are on. Many of us smell a rat and are afraid the county commissioners are seeing dollar signs instead the importance of maintaining the integrity of tradition in our community. We haven't lost yet, and we aren't going without a fight, but I know that it's happening in many places around the country.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  11:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I would say that our fair is pretty country like still. Lots of animals, crafts, rides, food, you name it. There are tons of kids who show animals too. I am so sorry you were dispointed Kim. I would be very sad too if that happened.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:04:48 AM  Show Profile
It takes a parent or adult to take time to foster a desired to want to raise animals. that's why those of us who do take time to remember the old ways and hand them to our children should encourage our children to pass it to others as well.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree Michelle. We do need to pass the traditions on to our kids. My cousin has a cattle ranchette (to small to be a ranch - herd is small) and she frequently sells her calves to 4Hers and FFAers to raise. Her son was in that and raise both cows and pigs. He is an adult now. I try to teach kids I volunteer with about growing their own food, even in an urban environment. I just get sad when I see commercial interests win out over traditional values - it is NOT all about the $$$$.
Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Happily, we are moving this year to Blairsville, GA where they still hold those values I mentioned dear to their hearts. They have the Sorghum Festival every year, run by the Kiwanas. It is over three weekends in October. It has a lot of traditional crafts, games (like greased pole climbing and hog calling) and food. There are no rides there (at least there have not been in the past) and it has a great feel to it. The town has other festivals with the same type of attitudes - real people stuff.....even the North Georgia Fair in nearby Hiwassee is more tradition and less commercial - I look forward to our move more every day...
Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kim, I'm actually in Florida not far from you in New Port Richey. I may be moving back if things work out! Do you have a group here in Florida? I am SO concerned that if I move back I will not be as "farmgirly" as I am now living in the country. I don't want to wind up like the strawberry festival!!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile
When I was a teen, my mother and I would enter arts and crafts in the state fair. It was so exciting to go on opening day and walk through the three huge halls dedicated to homemaking arts, gardening and 4H. Years later DH and I entered our rabbits and were always eager to view the other animals in the two massive barns.

That was many, many years ago. A few years back DH and I decided to take advantage of the $1 entry on opening day. I made a beeline for the back side of the fairgrounds, anticipating hours of wandering through the displays. Much to my dismay, the homemaking arts, gardening and 4H displays were housed in only one hall. There were so few entries and displays that everything was spread out to fill what was the smallest of the three halls. There were only a few animals housed quite spaciously in half of one of the barns; quite a shock, to say the least! What used to take us a couple hours to wander around now takes maybe 1/2 hour tops.

These days, our state fair is primarily for rides and fair food.
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
Sorry I did not see your question before now - yes there are groups here, but I am not sure about groups that meet in homes...there is one near where I am moving in Georgia. I think that Pasco (where you are) has areas near Dade City and Brooksville that are more farmgirly and rural - just remember -Farmgirl is a condition of the heart!
Hugs,
Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  8:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I agree that farmgirl is a heart thing. I'm not so sure that we are moving to Florida now! My DH is doing really well at his new job. Thanks for the response back.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Strawberry Festival/County Fair - fun but sad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page