graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile
So I was at Costco today ( I know, I know, I have about 6 things that I buy there and that is all, including rBGH free dairy products but anyway ) I was checking their cheese selection and feeling sad. Sad because I run a cheese department in an organic/gourmet grocery store and they sell some of the same stuff I do and there is absolutely no way I could ever match their price, but at the same time who really needs 2 pounds of brie? (and yes I realize that by buying my dairy products at Costco I am part of the problem, rather than part of the solution) Anyway, I digress.
I noticed they have gruyere and wondered if most people realize that it is a raw milk cheese - probably not since there is such a stigma about raw. The FDA won't let any young raw cheeses be imported but you can get aged raw milk cheeses, such as gruyere. I personally feel so much better when I eat raw milk cheeses it is amazing, that and cultured butter make a big difference for me.
Don't get me wrong, I love all cheese, just thought it was kind of cool that you could get a raw milk cheese at Costco.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Mar 05 2010 8:18:32 PM

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile
And I am glad that Costco is a NW company...big, but at least relatively local.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Good to know!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  08:21:59 AM  Show Profile
We are getting a Costco here in Catoosa Co. in N. Ga. By fall it should be opened. There is a big stink about how they sell wine by the case and what's it going to do to the local liquer stores. A friend of mine has a winery real close to where it's going to be. It's just right beside the Tn. line. And the county is paying for all the work going into getting them here. But is will create lots of well needed jobs in this area. I have never been to a Costco. But would rather go there than to Sam's any day. Good to know they have raw milk cheese. Thanks for letting me know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I really like buying from Costco. Can I ask what the best cheese is for you. I like for my children to eat as organic as possible.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:35:23 PM  Show Profile
I like to buy as local as possible, or raw milk as possible as far as cheese goes. Where in Montana are you? The only certified organic goat milk dairy in the US is in Belgrade Montana - not too far from Bozeman.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  7:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I should mention that it isn't marketed as raw milk cheese - it doesn't even say raw milk on the ingredient list, it says "fresh whole milk".

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Raw milk cheese where? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page