Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Chicken coop cubbies Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  12:30:02 PM  Show Profile
In the Xmas catalog from Smith and Hawken, in their gardening section, are these very cute, and very practical cubbies..... to hold all sorts of gardening supplies conveniently and orderly in your house.... I get some really good ideas from catalogs... hmmm, wonder if I can recreate this myself??? Have a look: http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/site/catalog/Product.jhtml?PRODID=19165&CATID=21344&index=1

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2004 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,
These look a lot like the nest boxes I built for the inside of my straw bale chicken coop and also for the inside of my chicken tractor. Only difference is that they are three tiers high. I like this idea. Seems like a good way to save time digging through my 5 gallon buckets for those darned felcoes when I need them.
Thanks for the link. Think I will try to duplicate them in a size that will fit my needs.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2004 :  10:34:18 AM  Show Profile
I guess it's true that great minds think alike! Awhile back Country Living had these same type shelves featured as a cubbie in a mud room and mentioned they were "recycled from the barn".I asked my husband to duplicate them for me from some inexpensive pine then whitewashed and distressed them for that well used look.At the time we had a chicken crate as a coffee table and one of those tall nesting racks in our kitchen for baking pans, etc. On one of my husband's grandparents visits his grandfather said to his grandmother " Good God Florence ! Do you think the girl's keepin' the chickens in the bathroom?!!!" And so the family jokes began , all from those very cool and practical nesting boxes!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Well I am reviving an old topic because I finally have photos of my 2 chicken tractors with chickens at work. They are working this summer to "Uppen" the soil around the entrance to our pole building where I like to have my picnic table and lawn swing. The ground is hard pan because the builders scraped away the hillside and pushed all the hard pan over the top soil to make room for our building. If I had been there when they did this I would have paid extra to have them remove the top soil first and then put it back on top of the hard pan. Live and learn. The chicken tractors are doing really great in this job and I finally have a small area of what I wanted as lawn. It is growing well and as each section is done I plant pasture grass seed mixture on top of it. I have mown the first ones already and they seem to be making a nice sod. Later on when we get our goats They will become the lawn mower and I will have a green spot for my picnics.

Here are some photos of my 2 chicken tractors and my 3 chamber compost system.The composting system is for a sawdust toilet system as well as garden trimmings based on instructions from "The Humaneur Handbook". It was constructed of 7 identical shipping pallets I got for free and some 4 by 4 scrap lumber also free.

You can view the album at:

Eileen

Here is the photo group with all 16 photos. I forgot to check select all on page 2. sorry, Eileen

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=eileenspics&password=11924640

Edited by - Eileen on Jul 28 2005 3:33:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile
I haven't built the chicken coop buddies yet but have collected some pallets with lumber I can recycle into these nice storage bins.
They will not be ceder but they will be hardwood. And best yet they will be free except for my labor which I am willing to donate to the cause.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, Love your chicken condo!!! How creative you are!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  09:44:05 AM  Show Profile
I posted changes to the photos as I found that not all were there. The rest should be there now.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Eileen! I drive by a stack of free pallets every day and keep thinking I should get these type compost bins going at my place, but they are often times too big for my trunk! Guess I'm going to have to enlist a neighbor with a pickup to help out!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 28 2005 09:57:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:18:48 AM  Show Profile
If you do get the pallets and want to know how to prepare them for the compost bins I can give you some instructions that might make it easier than you at first will discover. My pallets were not of evenly spaced boards on the top so I had to make some adjustments.
The best pallets I ever got were from a wood pellet distributor who sold wood pellet stoves, as they were all the same size and all looked like a deck on top. These are the better type palletts for compost bins but unable to get any more of these for free I simply remade the tops of the ones I got to put the boards closer together. It took a complete extra pallet to get the ones I needed for this project. There is a tool called a "Wonder bar" that is like a small double ended crow bar but a little differently shaped.With it and a hammer I was able to get out the spirial nails that hold the boards on the runners. I only broke one board which was cracked already anyway. I love this tool! It is kind of shaped like an "S" but one end is more hooked and the other is lazy. The ends are notched to get under a nail and they are also sharpened to a chizel end. I can post a photo here,

This is it. zoom in for a closer look. Eileen

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=eileenspics&password=37610734

Happy building
Eileen

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Chicken coop cubbies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page