Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I feel like a big fat failure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I feel like a big fat failure Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Some of you know about the rottweiler/mix pup I took in a couple of months ago- Danny. Today I took Danny to the humane society to ask for their help in finding him a home.

I am heart broke and feel like I have failed him. I really wanted Danny to stay with us, but it isn't working out. It seems unfair to him.

I know it's crazy and I know the girls at the humane society knew it was something I really did not want to do. They reassured me that they are a no-kill facility and that they are very particular about the families they place animals with, even more so with dogs like Danny. They told me about a pitbull that lived at their shelter for 8 months before they were able to find him a suitable family. They also have a trainer that comes in to work with the dogs. And while they are very happy to have him, I am crying like a big old baby.

Ever since I started taking in strays, I have always (until now) been able to find them good homes or keep them. I have never had to take one to the shelter. I don't know why that is harder than giving them to a family. It's such a horrible feeling. I miss the little buggar so much already.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile
I understand *hugs* I have had to do the same thing. People seem to just come to my drive and trow animals at me. I have too many stray cats right now and some of them are biters and will never be able to find good homes. So I understand =(

You didn't fail, try to think of it as giving Danny another chance at having a forever home with some one suitable to his personality.. I HATE taking animals in...I so very much feel for you.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I really understand how you feel. I once had to do the same thing. Reggie was his name. We had Reggie for about 5 months. For the life of me I could not house-train him. He also terrorized my small older dog. So I felt I needed to think of my older dog's feelings and well-being. So I took Reggie back to the humane society. They were very understanding about the situation but I still had to pay them to take Reggie back. You pay to have them take animals and you pay to give them animals. I still have no regrets.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  3:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I know it must be hard to give up an animal, but in the end you have to know that God will take care of him. My prayers go up that a nice family will find Danny and take him in. Don't be too hard on yourself; you're not a failure, you did what you had to do.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  3:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I know the feeling, being involved in animal rescue and adoption quite a bit myself. ((hugs)) Just keep in mind that the people at the shelter are kindred spirits to you and I...you miss him, but you're not a failure...you just passed him on to people with the same mission...to find him a wonderful home. :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
www.patternprincess.blogspot.com
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
I'm engaged! Follow my wedding planning and sentimental musings at:
www.justinandjodiforever.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  3:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I have had to do the same thing. It tore me up. But I knew I had to. They will find him a good home.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  4:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Melanie, I bet they will find him a wonderful home. You did the right thing!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  4:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Melanie:
Don't beat yourself up about this. Can you imagine if you hadn't taken in any of the dogs. I'm sure if they could talk, they'd be thanking you and hugging you. You are doing a wonderful job and service. I thank you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  6:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Melanie.....you are agreat person to have such a kind heart towards animals

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  05:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes you have to do something that is very hard. At least you have a conscience about it. Many people just throw animals away like they are trash. It sounds like your Humane Society is a good one and will find him a "furever" home. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  05:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, you tried your best and did what you could. We take in a ton of strays here, and sometimes it just doesn't work out. I'm sorry for the pain and sadness you're feeling right now (totally get that...we've done the same thing many times) but you are a sweet person with a heart for animals. You tried to make a difference, and that is what matters!! You did what you could. Danny was lucky for the time he had with you!! Take care, sweetie!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Don't be hard on yourself-you may very well be the essential step in getting him to the home he should be in by taking him to the Humane Society-his future family could stroll in any day and adopt him-all possible because you got him to the right spot at the right time. (((HUGS)))

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

colowyo0809
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

CJ &M
Dacono CO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  10:59:39 AM  Show Profile
We adopted our corgi friend from a no kill shelter and I must say, our lives are better for it. If it wasn't for people like you, we wouldn't have Houdini and for that I want to say Thank You!
Matthew

Being a Farm Person is about more than whats under your clothes, or how much land you own. Its about living the life, even if you are in the middle of the city.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  4:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
What really up sets you is that Danny is in a empty home and not one of true love and friendship. You just have to let it go and know that all things work out for the best. There is a family looking for Danny and if you would have kept him they would not be able to find one an other. Keep checking back and you will see give it time. Your friend always Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  9:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for letting me get everything off my chest girls. I keep thinking of him in that kennel and I guess that what you said Lilly probably says it best, it's not a homey environment. But I know the people that work there would not be there if they did not love those animals as much as I do.

While I was there, I met a lady who is a foster mommy to some of the animals. So I tried to think of that too. That maybe Danny will not have to stay at the shelter itself, but maybe he will be placed with a foster family until he is adopted. I hope. They also seemed pretty sure that Danny wouldn't be there long.

The only pics I got of Danny were on my camera phone, since my real camera is still missing. But I just thought to check the WHS site to see if they had some pics of him up yet and they do!! Here's a link so you all can see Danny. He is such a pretty boy! http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15903196

Thank you! Hugs to all you~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  9:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
He is in Gods hands now and he will take very good care of him!! You did the right thing Melanie!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  04:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey,

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes dogs just don't "fit". He'll find a home. Our furbaby is a shelter dog. We love her dearly and she is the perfect "fit" for us. But, we are her THIRD home. When we adopted her, she had been adopted from the shelter and sent back. She didn't fit them, but she fits us like she's been here forever. Danny will be okay, he'll find a home. The fact that you cared enough to try, and then to take him to a shelter shows what a wonderful heart you have. I used to have Dobermans, and Rottweilers are alot like them. Those powerful, strong breeds need alot of attention and training. It'll work out.

Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  06:55:21 AM  Show Profile
I think it takes real courage to admit that one might not be the best person for something. Coming up with solutions to the problem shows maturity and knowing yourself. That isn't being a failure, that is progress.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I came to the decision to take Danny to the shelter 1st because of my little dog. Ruby is our peek-a-poo. We've had her since she was a baby, she's 3 years old now. Well she's 9 pounds and fully grown. Danny is about 30 pounds and still very much a puppy. The other day they started off playing and then it started to get out of hand. I had to pry her out of his mouth. Poor baby.

And the other reason, I had been trying to work with Danny on his training. He was doing so good! And then I came down with a bug, the kids had to take care of the dogs for a couple of days and Danny completely reversed in everything he had been taught. I was able to get him back to where he was on potty training and learning to sit, but listening to "No" or anything else was becoming a bigger struggle everyday. My neighbor had a rottweiler once, he said she was the best dog he ever had, but that it was very important to train them early. I knew I was losing time with Danny and it wasn't helping that business has picked up and cut in to our time together.

I want to thank all of you again. I really felt horrible the other day taking Danny to the shelter, but you all have helped me remember why I came to that decision and he really is going to be ok. It also gave me a chance to really talk to the people at the shelter, to learn more about how they operate. And while I can not volunteer some of my time to work at their shelter (right now anyway), I will donate what I can to help them in continuing to help animals like Danny.

Lots of hugs to all of you~ Melanie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I feel like a big fat failure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page