lindyfran
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

LINDY
shelton WA
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  6:26:38 PM  Show Profile
We are starting a community of farm girls @ our Harstine Island Woman's Farm House - Any suggestions on how we girls can earn a living on the land would be much appreciated. Please check out "A Farm of My Own" in the general Chat Forum too.

Lady who owns a farm that wants it to be nurtured,cared for & a real working farm

Edited by - lindyfran on Mar 05 2010 5:18:28 PM

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Definitely gardening! That would be a great start! You can grow many herbs inside as well, if need be.

As far aw cows are concerned, you need to give them shots, and lots of attention and time, so, I'd say start off with the gardening and work your way up. I know that tomatoes worked great for me while I lived in California, along with carrots and beans :) Herbs are even easier!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ShannonLK
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Shannon
Elk WA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  6:46:50 PM  Show Profile
What about some laying hens? There is nothing as fun as watching them pick and scratch about! And then there are the eggs...

Farmgirl and luvin' it!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  7:19:52 PM  Show Profile
And ya have to have a few goats to keep the weeds and brush down. That sounds like a great place to live. Can you tell us some more about it? Is it just a few families or all in one house? I would love to do something like that. I always wanted to live in a commune. I think about starting one up all the time. Especially the way things are going in the country. We need all the help we can get.

And welcome to the forum, Lindy.

Megan, you'd like my 2 cow babies. They don't get shots. They are grass fed cows and really healthy buggars. I noticed once in your blog how you hate needles. Me too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  10:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow, good for you! Sounds like an exciting adventure. Don't forget to advertise--really get the community involved. Baby steps, maybe--how about a roadside stand for some lovely herbs, flowers, and veggies? Sounds wonderful, I'd love to move to where you are :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: February 28th ~ Interview with Karen Keb of Hobby Farms and Hank Will of GRIT magazine!
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  3:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I really really wish I could just up and move there! Please tell us more of the details. How much land...housing...etc? Please do tell us.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

JoAtHarstine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jo
Shelton Wa
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm the OTHER farmgirl at Harstine Island in Washington. Lindy and I are both experienced gardeners but we've never undertaken a project of this size before. We'd LOVE to have some more green-thumb-types join us, bringing their talents and their enthusiasm! We will be starting with herbs and veggies and flowers, selling at the local farmers market -- if there's enough left over from our own kitchen! Lindy or I can send you pictures if anyone is truly interested in re-locating to the Puget Sound area. It's just lovely here, and the weather is mild year-round. I'm a snowbird myself, having recently escaped Alaska after more than 40 years there. So I'm thrilled to be here, and have a chance to pursue my hobby as (hopefully) a profit-making endeavor. Glad to make the acquaintance of everyone on this site, too! How wonderful to find a place for like-minded women to chat! On Harstine, we have 8 acres, of which we can use 3-4 acres for crops and grazing. There's just the one farmhouse, but we each have our own room and use of the thoroughly modern amenities. There's a piano and a big-screen TV for entertainment, or you can just sit outdoors at dawn or dusk and watch the deer (and an occasional coyote) trot by. A truly magical place. Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions. In the meantime, I need to get acquainted with all the great information this site has to offer! Hope to chat again soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic The sweet little farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page