Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile
If you want a piece of land it is the best. We barter for jobs we need done. For example we raised pigs and traded one two years in a row with a man who has a back hoe. He put big cement blocks in our stream so I can build a bridge and last summer he cleaned out our pond. I think that was a bigger job than he anticipated but it is done. A neighbor that logged a property we manage cut 6 pine trees for us and dragged them up to the field. I diod pay for them to be milled and now have enough wood to make a greenhouse and many other building projects. I have never built a green house but I have been collecting glass from the sides of the road where people leave them with free signs. I found a pattern on line for the corner joints. A neighbor who wanted manure has the plans for the corners and will build the patterns for me. Although his wife says he is not good at reading plans but he does work at a school with a wood shop so the shop teacher will help him. The greenhouse will be like a log cabin but with glass on the front. I do have a tractor so that is how I will manage the heavy lifting. We bought the tractor 5 years ago and it was the best investment. I do not know how we lived and managed without it for so long.
Yes, if you want to you can live on the land without a man.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  3:13:08 PM  Show Profile
You can TOTALLY do it! Especially with the help of other farmgirls! There are so many wonderful ideas here! Everything from how to start a fire to canning meat!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile
Rea231 "There is no better feeling than independence when you have been in a bad relationship."

Amen

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  11:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever read Gladys Taber's books? She writes about her and her best friend Jill doing exactly what you're trying to do. Your library should have some of her books...The Road to Stillmeadow...The Stillmeadow Calendar...etc. I read them over and over. There may not be things like directions for building specific items, but you'll find lots of country wisdom in her books and encouragement that it can be done.
Go to Top of Page

justbe
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kris
Garland Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  07:12:22 AM  Show Profile
I believe in you gals.

Kris
www.krishundt.com
Farmgirl #1761

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Alee I have one of those DH too. But this yr he had to help out because I wasnt able. But we are just doing a garden now, no animals yet. We are looking for another place bigger inside so people can come and stay if they want and not have to get a hotel room. I would love to have the same amount of acreage we have now (10acres, but not sure. I will be the one that does it all...except DH will do the building...so he says..lol

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Doing it on your own Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page